Tango Argentino > Videos > new milonguero embrace

Discussion in 'Videos' started by jantango, Sep 3, 2009.

1. jantango

jantango Active Member

2. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

But then where would HIS nose be? ;)

3. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Lets hope he doesnt have sweaty armpits... :)

4. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it yet. I saw it somewhere. I must admit that it is quite difficult to dance with big hight difference. This kind of embrace could help. Leading is done with body, embrace is just cosmetics.

5. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Someone taught me that a couple of years ago, and actually tried it. It was weird, and didn't work very well. I gave it up halfway through the song.

6. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

I hope he's got a good dry cleaner that can remove the make up from his shirt. :)

7. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

I noticed many women dancing tango closed in close embrace. It's great feeling for leading because it means absolute confidence in the leader. She opens them when leader combines open and close embrace.

8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I don't see what the big deal is. There's a very significant height difference between the two of them, so I can definitely see where this would just be more comfortable. (There's one guy in particular that I know where I can only wish he'd dance this way, because otherwise it's just so difficult to be remotely comfortable with him.) So long as the guy isn't clamping her left arm to her side, I don't see why it's a big deal. It's a practical solution to a real problem.

As a "new milonguero embrace"...meh. Whatever.

And who cares if women dance with their eyes closed? If the situation permits (floor not so crowded that the extra pair of eyes is a necessity, confidence in the leader's floorcraft, "feeling it" in the embrace and the dance) it's one of the most wonderful things in the world. It focuses everything you have on the music, your leader, and yourself...amazing. (And then there are those times when, even with my eyes open, I can't see anything because of the height difference. If all I have to stare at is his shirt/chest/neck, might as well close my eyes.)

Who cares about any of this? There's no right or wrong.

9. Peaches

Pity. Playing with different embraces can be wonderful. (And challenging, which can also make it fun with the right leader.)

There's one guy I like to dance with, and we quite frequently switch things up. Both arms around his shoulders, right arm around his waist, my left arm under his, my right hand on his chest. It can be very enjoyable.

10. Me

Me New Member

The guy towers over her. What is he supposed to do - hunch, just like everybody else does? Is she supposed to stand on her toes and poke her butt out and turn her face to the left, just like everybody else does?

Maybe we should just tell them to stop trying to dance "real" tango (closed-embrace) and tell them to move on to "fake" tango (nuevo) so that we can post a clip of their nuevo here and roast them for that, too. (sarcasm, yes yes, much.)

11. Peaches

Bravo, Me!!! Beautifully put. Thank you!

Really. I didn't realize that, in addition to things like dancing "correctly" and dressing "correctly" and dancing to the "correct" music and following the "correct" codes of behavior, that we're also supposed to base our dancing on who is the right height for us. Bloody hell.

12. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Oh, I experiment with all of what you just said (given the right partner). What I was saying was that the OP's embrace, that particular one didn't work for me.

13. bastet

bastet Active Member

ha ha... love the BIG letters and I am in full agreement.

Height difference is a fact of life in this country and in some others. People have to find some way to deal with it and still be able to interact with each other.

I've used this embrace a couple of times in the past and didn't find any problem with it. As someone said, he isn't leading me with his arms anyway, those are just there for "comfort".

14. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

I think I recognize the lady in the clip. I once asked her to lend me cab fare but she said she was a little short! jajajajajajajaja

15. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

OK, that made me laugh.

:eek:

16. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Finding a shorter partner is an option, but I don't see anything wrong with creating your own style, rather than copying copiers (or however you phrased it in another thread). Also, some people don't like to greatly limit who they dance with.

FWIW, a follower once asked me to use this embrace with her (although the height difference between her and me was much greater than the height difference in the first video). This position is a good option for milonguero style dancing, IMO.

17. mkjohnson

mkjohnson Member

Jantango wrote: Isn't it bad enough that women dance with their eyes closed?
    This woman has no option and can't see anything.

Am I missing some terrible faux pax? I dance with my eyes closed frequently - I actually got the recommendation from three different tango instructors - two of whom are Argentine. *scratching head*

18. bastet

bastet Active Member

i think most people are going to have opinions.

I'm not that tall, so it makes almost no sense for me to keep my eyes open with some people I dance with who are fairly tall...nothing to see but chest/shirt/neck...

I don't close my eyes as much in really tight milongas, unless I am dancing with someone who i think is really, really competent and has good floorcraft skills. If I am dancing with someone whose floor skills are in question no matter how much room we have...more often I am also keeping an eye on things.

For me, it's a trust thing. It's not required (like some people used to tell me) but it is nice to be in a place where I can "tune in" completely and do that.

19. jantango

jantango Active Member

Believe it or not, there are many Argentine instructors who never set foot in a milonga in BsAs. The floors often are crowded where it is necessary for the woman to keep her eyes open to alert her partner to traffic around them. This is done by giving him a signal with her left hand on his shoulder blade. That way, he knows not to step backward into another couple on the floor.

Comparable height is an important consideration before inviting a woman to dance. Partners are usually about the same height. That's how "dancing cheek to cheek" applies. You can only do that with a partner of the same height.

I say leave the tall guys for the tall women at a milonga. There are plenty of short ones to go around. Seasoned dancers in the BsAs milongas don't need to dance with someone of a different height. On rare occasions, I have seen a very tall foreigner dancing with short local women. It looks awkward. The embrace looks as bad as those in the videos.

The new younger generation of female dancers hide their faces and close their eyes, as if they are dreaming while dancing. This trend isn't going to help social dancing. It's no wonder that collisions on the dance floor continue for this reason alone.

If women want an equal role in tango, keeping their eyes open and participating in good floor craft is the first step.

20. mkjohnson

mkjohnson Member

new milonguero embrace/height difference

As bastet alluded to (in this post or another), floor condition and comfort/familiarity with one's partner greatly contribute to whether or not (and for how long) I'm comfortable closing my eyes. And I also didn't want to imply that my eyes are closed the duration of the tanda. When I feel tension/tightness through my partner's embrace, I'm automatically alert.

But unless it actually hurts my back to dance with them, I don't tend to chose my partners based on their height. For instance two of the leaders that are almost exactly my height hurt my back far more than many of the taller (or shorter for that matter) ones do.

"I say leave the tall guys for the tall women at a milonga. "

There are two of my favorite leaders who are so much taller than everyone else at most milongas, if they followed that same rule - they wouldn't dance all night.

"On rare occasions, I have seen a very tall foreigner dancing with short local women. It looks awkward. The embrace looks as bad as those in the videos."

But from the outside, from the tables, how can we judge how the two "feel" together. They may not feel awkward to one another at all. Their dance is not for our eyes, but for their bodies/comfort/enjoyment and expression of the music. (Provided they're not interfering with the line of dance or other couples on the floor, obviously.)

obviously just my (more than) two cents as a non-Argentine n00b dancer.