Salsa > New Music ?-- Older Music ?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by tangotime, May 20, 2007.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Was planning my music for salsa classes, and got to thinking about some past comments ( somewhere ? ) criticizing dj,s playing " old " music .

If one stops to think, there are numerous occasions, where classes, events, congresses etc., are permeated with people, who probably have never been exposed to many of the past " classics " ,that the older salseros/as have danced and listened to .

Just food for thought .

2. Sabor

Sabor New Member

its always nice to have a mix .. then overwieght or underweight depending on people's reactions to the music list...

3. salsamale

salsamale New Member

New music one lesson, older music another lesson?

I remember dropping-in on a friend's salsa practice, and the music was so different - I think it was the older stuff - it was refresshing.

4. tj

tj New Member

I like the old stuff!

I suppose that sometimes, if the sound system is particularly bad, some of the old stuff becomes unlistenable.

5. naturallove

naturallove New Member

I personally love the classic stuff! I don't like mainstream salsa for the most part (the only mainstream artist I enjoy is Marc Anthony) and I enjoy getting educated on old school salsa.

6. tangotime

Have several of the re mixes by Fania, and some others.

Would have to agree, even the updated re record ,still does not compare ( in some cases ) with current recordings. But-- that is the point ,I dont really want it to sound the same .

7. Beto

Beto Active Member

This is simplying things a little, but in my opinion:

The new music is fine to listen to. The old music is what you dance to.

8. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

Has anyone bought the Starbucks compilation? "Salsa Explosion", the sounds of Fania. DAMN that CD has some good tunes on it. Some of them are really old and sound scratchy and vinyl, but most of them are in really good shape. I would love to hear more of this stuff at the club. Some of them are played frequently where we go to dance, but some aren't. Couple of cha-chas on there that rock my world.

9. tj

tj New Member

Yup - bought that a month ago. Love it.

(one of the tracks, however, has what I was talking about - it's mildly distorted due to the age of the recording equipment, and while it's "old school" sound is fine on a normal sound system, there are some bad sound systems where it plays just awful).

10. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I prefer a certain style of music, rather than "age"... mainly sounds which maintain certain similarities to an old school philosophical view… Though, if the sound monopolizes the night to where it can be debated that the songs have been philosophically the same, then I feel cheated by the DJ. My perspective about the songs is then irrelevant to the assortment of sounds played.

There is nothing more re-fre-shing in NY City than witnessing a DJ break the sound of norm.

11. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

I bought it too. I love the CD. I listen to it every day.. almost... it's my car CD du jour ;)

What's your fav track?

12. naturallove

naturallove New Member

Is this available in Starbucks now? I don't drink coffee, so I rarely go into a starbucks.

13. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

Hah sweet! last night that was the music I was playing very very loudly all the way home from my rehearsal. I'm going to get the liner notes next and tell you what my faves are next post.

14. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

It still is, but then, I live in Seattle - the homeland of Starbucks. It might be different elsewhere.

15. tj

tj New Member

Yes, I saw it still available last Friday when I went to get coffee.

(I'll have to check which track I like the most later this evening.)

16. tangotime

If you liked the fania album, you will really enjoy these re mixes of " old school ", greats--- Johnny Pacheco " El Maestro " and Tito Rodriguez-- " Los Bailables ", recently released .

17. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

what's the album name?
    what's the label?
    perhaps a link to an online store?

18. tj

tj New Member

The Tito Rodriguez album wasn't at Amazon, but I found [/B]the Johnny Pacheco album.

19. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Nobody's posted favs from the Starbucks album yet .. ;)

Here is the track list -

1 Che Che Cole - Willie Colón

2 El Todopoderoso - Héctor Lavoe

3 O Mi Shango - Mongo Santamaría

4 Pachito Eche - Tito Puente & Celia Cruz

5 Tu Lo Sientes? - Joe Cuba

6 Cucala - Celia & Johnny

7 Mama Guela - Fania All-Stars

8 Brother Where Are You? - Ralfi Pagan

9 Bilongo - Eddie Palmieri

10 Guaguanco Arsenio - Tito Puente & Azuquita

11 Bomba Carambomba - Sonora Ponceña

12 El Nuevo Barretto - Ray Barretto

13 Ahora Es El Tiempo - Louie Ramírez

14 A Mi Nena - Rafi Val & La Differente

15 Todo Tiene Su Final - Willie Colón & Héctor Lavoe
    My favs are 2, 9 and 11 and 5, in that order.

20. tj

tj New Member

I find it hard to pick a fav off the album. Maybe #15? There's a lot to play with on that song.