Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > New Season Strictly Come Dancing

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Mr.Atari, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Mr.Atari

Mr.Atari New Member

According to the website from the BBC

Can't wait :)

2. Mr.Atari

Mr.Atari New Member

Unfortunately the last season Strictly Come Dancing is over... Too bad.

It was a entertaining season, I've posted the dances on my youtube channel, so if you want to watch Strictly... Search for user MrAtariST on youtube.

Check the playlists, I made playlists by episode, dances and couples

Have fun!

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Is Strictly Come Dancing viewable in the US?

4. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Check your cable system to see if they offer the BBC Channel.

Aside: Why do they call it "Strictly"? Do the contestants have to enter the studio marching like they're Sturmabteilung? Does a headmaster dance coach physically abuse them for transgressions? Or does it simply mean that they don't have some low-IQ bimbo asking the contestants vapid questions following their performances?

5. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

O, but they do!

6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

LOL :cheers:

7. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I love that honest answer. ;)

8. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

You have gone to considerable effort to put these on youtube. Thankyou!

9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

+1 :cheers: I'd like to catch up on more of this, too. Such as when Michelle Williams from America competed (albeit briefly, before elimination)--Michelle being the girlfriend of the late Heath Ledger...

10. Lyra

Lyra Active Member

Michelle got through to week 7 so she didn't do too badly.......

She was a bit of a disaster area to begin with - she was terribly stiff (think she was very nervous) and didn't seem to have much of a sense of rhythm, but by the time she went out she was improving, although to be honest I don't think it'll ever be her thing.

I think that Michelle was a bit unlucky actually. These shows are always a popularity contest to some extent (well Strictly is) and Michelle (i) wasn't that well-known to a British audience, especially not the Strictly demographic and (ii) in the beginning she came across as a bit full on, which tends to scare Brits a bit! It's still not considered awfully good form to admit that you've entered a contest because well, you want to win it! ;)

I liked her. I thought she came across as enthusiastic and generous. She came in the bottom two four times altogether and took it in good humour. She worked very hard and, by the end she was having fun. I didn't know about the Heath Ledger link, it was never mentioned in the media coverage. Maybe if it had been more widely known Michelle would have had more support - not really fair, but probably true.

In my view Michelle was unfortunate to go out when she did. There were two celebrities who, (in my view) should have gone before she did. Ann Widdecombe who was the comedy turn (not going to say anymore about that :headwall:)
    and Gavin Henson, a rugby player, who had strong support mainly because he took his shirt off on every possible occasion and is the first celebrity I've ever known to reach the semi-final on the strength of his bare chest! But then, I suppose that it's not really a dance contest.....

11. So, what is it then... a chest baring contest? I just thought that was a figure of speech....

12. Lyra

Lyra Active Member

It is a figure of speech, but Gavin H did it for real, too. His dancing was fairly catastrophic, but he has a strong following amongst young women and is considered good-looking (can't see it myself, but then I'm not a young woman ;)). Anyway, he took his shirt off at every possible opportunity, or else had it open to the waist to show his pecs off. It turned into a running joke that Katya (his pro) was working his assets as that was all she had to work with! Got him as far as the semi-final, so maybe it wasn't such a bad plan.:eyebrow:

13. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

TTIUWP! :razz:

14. RumbaLucia

RumbaLucia Member

Its called Strictly Come Dancing because it is a combination of the formats of the two 1970's programmes - Strictly Ballroom, and Come Dancing. They added the celebrity element to it in 2003, and we are just going into series 9 now in 2011! :)

I agree that Michelle was unlucky. She tried very very hard, and had a constant battle to win the audience over, which she didn't deserve to have.

Credit to the eventual finalists - all of them were superb, and Kara and Artem were worthy winners. :)

Looking forward to series 9 - they are announcing the new line up very shortly! :D