Funstuff and Inspiration > New things I've learnt

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Ice Bucket, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

My idea for an interesting thread. :) Hopefully I've put it in the right bit of the forum. Things don't have to be dancing-related.

This week's top discovery is that social-foxtrotting a baby round the house is more effective at putting it to sleep than bouncing or singing and at least as effective as rocking. :lol: Dancing gives you such surprising transferable skills.

Over to you. :)

j_alexandra likes this.
  2. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I've gotta remember that one!

I've learned that giving BF a good book is some magical treatment that just makes him sit down and read for hours...his computer is all mine!

3. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

:bouncy:

4. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

That when I dance my face is ligthen up!

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

For awhile I was dealing with insomnia. I was discussing this with my physician during my latest routine check up and he discussed sleep hygiene, giving me some pointers and to look it up on a google search. What I found of interest is the advice that if you are having difficulty sleeping at night you should not lay in your bed to read or watch televison and true, that is a long standing habit of mine as it is a comfortable way to do so. I have stopped doing so and have been sleeping much better; plus I think it's also helping that at bedtime rather than get right into bed I'll get on my recliner and concentrate on relaxation and listen to the radio on my coffee table. This for between 20 - 30 minutes before retiring to bed.

6. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

Good advice there, Spitfire. I've heard before about keeping your bed as a place for sleeping rather than using it for things like TV-watching or working. The winding down is a good idea too. I try and get off my computer a while before going to bed, otherwise I'm always a bit wired, although I don't often manage it at the moment.

7. Spitfire

I really need a wind down period after dancing as adrenalin levels are high then and that will keep me from sleeping.

8. BenjaminT

BenjaminT Member

I learned that you are unlikely to cut yourself underhand charging an AK-47 whilst almost guaranteed a band-aid overhanding it.

...Sorry, I had to make up for starting the "Men: why we dance" thread.

j_alexandra likes this.
  9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What?!? No sharks or chewing tobacco? :shock: :lol:

10. Spitfire

The relative inaccuracy of a .45 Auto.

j_alexandra likes this.
  11. BenjaminT

BenjaminT Member

Ak's are more accurate, and AR's are more reliable than most people give them credit for. There's a lot of ignorance by owners and the general public, alike. Training will give one the experience needed to make his own decisions.:cheers:

Personally, I prefer the AK-74.

@Pyg: Nope. Tobacco is disgusting and shark wrestling interferes with my Thursday ritual of nude skydiving while fighting tigers.

12. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

:shock:
    :shock:

13. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Hijack...prefer my 9mm over anything else. Husband tries to get me to carry something with more stopping power but I believe you should go with a weapon that you're comfortable with. Sorry for hijack.

New thing I've learned...one of our satellites is old enough to legally drink.

j_alexandra likes this.
  14. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

I've always been a fan of the SA80 myself.

Good work, Benjamin. A plummeting tiger is a suitable challenge for a quiet afternoon. I imagine it helped you work up an appetite for your dinner of buffalo hearts stuffed with Naga chillis.

15. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

BF's cat likes chocolate cake.

Craves chocolate cake, even.

16. BenjaminT

BenjaminT Member

Oh no. What have I started?!:lol: NURDRMS, you've made a good choice.

Final gun comments and I swear I'll go back to my hole:

Most men aren't qualified enough to tell anyone what to carry, let alone their significant others. I have zero respect for anyone who's recommendations are based on classic sexism. Examples:

Recommending revolvers over autos because they're "simpler."
    (Revolvers suck and they're recommending an inferior design because "women aren't smart enough" for autos. Mechanically, they're actually very complicated.)

Recommending terrible guns/calibers because they're small.
    (The most painful to shoot gun I ever owned was a Walther PPK (aka James Bond's gun.) Even though it's "small" my sister doesn't even have the hand strength to rack the slide because of the design. Meanwhile, I've seen an 11 year-old girl go through the same severe training classes with the same gun I carry (doing better than a lot of the men there, too.) Women are not "too small" for real handguns.)

[/rant]

Okay, new ballroom thing I've learnt is why a certain lady is so "heavy" during natural turns. She's really not giving me her upper body for rotation so naturals are like stepping into a wall. (Thank you, Anna Mikhed!)

17. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

The samba isn't as scary as I expected...at least not yet.

18. BenjaminT

BenjaminT Member

Missed this. You see, this is why you shouldn't go throwing marriage proposals around. I might be equally intrigued by the idea of sewing my own tailsuit (or ladies' dresses) as I am by martial weapons training, but. You don't get to keep the things you like and discard the rest.

...Did I mention I cook?:raisebro:
    [​IMG]

Oh, yeah. Parchment paper is a cook/baker's best friend.

19. Spitfire

Do like my S&W .357

20. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Learning basic communication in Russian, was fun, with help of DP and google translation, I can communicate a little bit, still have huge problem to pronounce "R" in Russia cos it does not exist in English; nevertheless last time I had a phone conversation with DP's mom, she understand mostly what I was saying, although my accent is still so funny, but still a huge progress can make a small conversation in a new language!