New Vogue Dances

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Nov 13, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Here's a question for our friends down under. Does any of you know about/understand the New Vogue Dances? From what I can tell, they're similar to ballroom dances and use many of the same figures, but are "sequence dances." Huh? Anybody? Looks pretty extensive. Oh and by the way, I think this may be another piece of the schottische puzzle.

http://www-staff.mcs.uts.edu.au/~don/pubs/vogue.html
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Sorry I am from the Northeast not down-under but I will pipe in.

New Vogue is very popular in Australia and New Zealand. It is like Sequence dancing, there are set dances and patterns, everyone is doing the same thing at the same time. But to me, Sequence dancing is rather old-fashioned, New Vogue seems to be rather hip and many great young dancers participate.

It is like American style in that they open away, have shadow position, and underarm turns. In fact Nick Kosovich was showing me some foxtrot patterns from a New Vogue dance one time and they could easily be turned into open American routines. Toni Redpath, I believe, used to dance New Vogue, and may even have a bunch of titles.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~annadv/waop261003/waop03217mixedp18.html

As I have heard, these dancers have developed fantastic musicality, they have the same routines over and over and every nuance is so sophisticated and highly developed.

There are several of us "smoothies" who have considered learning the dances and going on a big "field trip" down there and entering a competition just for fun. I am fascinated by it...
  3. pygmalion

Thanks Larinda!

I honestly had never heard of these dances before, and found them by accident while searching for something else.

Now I'm really curious, so I'm diong some web searches. Here's something I found at dancers-archive.com from a discussion held a few years ago:

>Richard
    >moroney@diva.berkeley.edu
    callum.downie@brunel.ac.uk
    Faculty of Technology, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH, UK
    +44 895 274000 x2730
    Subject: new vogue ballroom dancing
    Date: 4 May 1993 04:27:42 GMT

having followed recent queries concerning new vogue ballroom dancing and
    subsequent replies i thought i would add my two cents' worth.
    first, as pointed out by others new vogue, along with old time (or olde tyme if
    you prefer) and modern sequence dances are sequence dances, i.e. the steps/figures
    are performed in a prescribed order, with everybody dancing the same steps at the
    same time. the sequence
    of steps is usually relatively short and is repeated
    until the music finishes.

to understand what distinguishes new vogue dances from old time and modern
    sequence dances it is helpful to know a little history of such dances. old time
    (sequence) dances grew out of 19th century ballroom dancing, so many of these
    dances are sequence versions of the dances done in the 19th century ballrooms
    (waltzes, twosteps...). also, because of this they adopted the footwork of 19th
    century and earlier dances with toes po
    inted outwards and using the foot positions
    of classical ballet. in england (as i understand it), when the modern dances
    appeared earlier this century, they largely displaced the old time dances. these
    were then revived at some later date. in australia, when the modern dances
    appeared, they were simply added to the program. the most popular ballroom dances
    from the 20's until the present were "50/50 dances" whose programs devoted roughly
    half the time to modern dances and half to old time dances (with some
    latin thrown
    in for good measure). one of the effects of having people trained in modern
    dancing, dancing old time dances, was that the old time dances changed. the most
    significant change was that the balletic footwork gave way to the more natural
    (IMHO) modern ballroom dance footwork with the feet parallel. in competitions,
    the original old time dances with their balletic footwork were refered to as
    english or edwardian old time dances. those modified old time dances with their
    modern footwork were known
    first as old time dances, then old time -- new vogue
    dances, and finally became known as simply new vogue dances. once the styling
    which we now call new vogue was recognized as a distinct styling rather than
    simply a bastardized version of old time, new dances have been choreographed in
    this style without ever having existed as traditional old style dances.

to make this posting complete i should mention the third type of sequence dances,
    i.e. modern sequence dances. these are sequence dances based on the d
    ances of the
    modern (standard) international and latin syllabi.

in "strictly ballroom" i believe the new vogue tango in one of the opening scenes
    was "la bamba" (bomba?), and in the public dances at the "pan pacific" i believe
    i recognized the "gypsy tap". there was another "new vogue" dance in that scene,
    but it was one i know less well and the clip was too short for me to make a
    positive identification.

i hope my comments will help answer some of the questions that have been raised.
    my history was based
    on personal knowledge and deduction, hearsay and what i have
    read. it should not therefore be taken as gospel.

don sinclair
    dks@hep.anl.gov
  4. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Hey, Jenn...I can help with this one. According to one site "New Vogue comprises sequence dances of Australian origin set to various rhythms involving the quick waltz, foxtrot, tango and march time. There are currently 16 New Vogue Championship dances."
    That's the technical explanation, mine is simply that they're soooo much fun and while the dances are based on old time English dances, I believe they were "re-jigged" to move with the times because colonial Australians found the old English dances a wee bit stuffy and made them funkier (for the mid 1700s, that is).
    Some contain elegant but, through modern eyes (or latin-dancing ones) extremely ostentatious moves, with gigantic flourishes and wrist flicks and things like that, but overall they're fabulously fun and enjoyable and always sequenced. Some, like the Merrilyn and Carousel are fabulously "pretty", others like the Mayfair Quickstep are so much fun! La Bomba is dramatic and Tangoette is gorgeous.
    The good bit about New Vogue is that the range of music you can dance to is enormous, from The Bum Song (Cheeky Girls) to that classic Roger Miller ditty, King of the Road.
    A lot of Australian studios spend the vast majority of a social night with New Vogue dances on the menu...have a look at this weekly schedule, from one Australian dance studio.

1 Evening 3 Step (NV)
    2 Modern Waltz
    3 Cha Cha Cha
    4 Prog. Barn Dance
    5 Prog. Cha Cha
    6 Prog. Jive
    7 Gypsy Tap (NV)
    8 Tracie Leigh Waltz (NV)
    9 Slow Foxtrot
    10 Rumba
    11 Excelsior Schottische (NV)
    12 Swing Waltz (NV)
    13 Rock n Roll
    14 Prog. Evening 3 Step (NV)
    15 Prog. Samba
    16 Merrilyn (NV)
    17 Tango
    18 New Vogue Quickstep (NV)
    19 Merengue
    20 Barclay Blues (NV)
    21 Jive
    22 Alpha Waltz (NV)
    23 La Bomba (NV)
    24 Quickstep
    25 Twilight Waltz (NV)
    26 Samba
    27 Carousel (NV)
    28 Viennese Waltz
    29 Balmoral Blues (NV)
    30 Paso Doble
    31 Tango Terrific (NV)
    32 Lucille Waltz (NV)
    33 Rumba
    34 Modern Waltz
  5. pygmalion

This sounds like a total blast! I wonder if there's anywhere in the US one can learn these dances, or if there are dance camps in Australia -- a week or two might be enough to get some exposure to the proper sequences. :D Note: I assume the patterns themselves are International Standard patterns, so it's just proper sequencing and special styling you'd have to learn. :?:
  6. pygmalion

I found this link of 16 to 32 measure new vogue dance routines, approved by Dancesport Autralia. Pretty cool. These dances look quite doable with a bit of instruction, and if you already know some ballroom, even better. 8) :D
    http://www.dancesport.org.au/newvogue/
  7. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Hey, Jenn...I love that site and often print it out...only to get completely bamboozled and put the steps back in my folder.

It might just be me, but I can never understand dancing notation. I understand it in theory, but when I have to read it, I get all confused...or perhaps my brain just couldn't be bothered deciphering the steps.

I'd rather just learn it from someone, but I guess dancers outside Australia and New Zealand guys don't have that luxury...I'll see if I can find a video of the New Vogue dances and get it digitised and uploaded somewhere. It might take some time, but I'll look into it. Then you can all see what New Vogue looks like! :)
  8. pygmalion

This is really intriguing. I bet I know most of the steps, at least for the ballroom-based dances. It's just a matter of understanding how the sequences work. Cool! 8) :D
  9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

You could try getting in contact with Toni Redpath, Nick Kosovich, Keri Wilson, Ann Harding, Patrick Johnson, Wendy Johnson...as these people are from Austalia and New Zealand.
  10. pygmalion

That's a scary thought, since I've never had coaching from a big name person before. But getting some high level coaching IS on my goals list for this year, so why not make the call? *tremble with excitement and a little fear :lol: *
  11. Auzzie_Dancer

Auzzie_Dancer New Member

I do new vogue since me being australian and doing 3 styles ( other 2 ballroom and latin american).

New Vogue is about the same as ballroom, the rise and fall is a bit different and so are a couple of the moves from ballroom.

The thing about New Vogue is everyone is doing the same dance on the floor ( with different arm movements and such) but basically the same footwork so its easier for a non proffesional dancer can see who is better. (at least thats my interpretation of it).

It also looks great when everyone is doing the same thing and moving at the same time.
  12. pygmalion

Hi Auzzie_Dancer. Welcome. I'd love to learn New Vogue one day. Maybe I can head down to Australia and visit you folks while there's a camp or something going on. :idea: :wink:
  13. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

Yeah Come on down to Australia pygmalion! Theres lots of places you could learn :wink:

I LOVE the new vogue dances.... I never miss the oppourtunity to do an Evening 3 Step or Merrilyn, and Tangoette..although Im not quite as fluent in that yet, but the stamping of the feet really is fun!
    I am wanting to take some extra private lessons to learn the Tangoette and Gypsy Tap a lot better.

I think Auzzie Dancer gave a good interpretation of it. They are done in a large circle (sqaure!) around the floor. It is very pretty to watch even if you dont know the dance.

Thats another good thing..... no matter who your dancing with you know exactly which step is coming next!
  14. pygmalion

I only have a vague idea of how they're done -- I've seen step lists and a few video clips. It looks like, if you can do standard/modern, you should be able to pick up New Vogue by learning the sequences and a little styling. Is that true?
  15. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

Yep Pygmalion :D ....Id have to say that I found the NV the easiest dances to learn. So with a bit of standard under your belt you will pick it up quickly.
    The sequences arent very long either..probably get 2 or 3 full patterns thru one song.
  16. pygmalion

I guess I'd better learn some standard then LOL. All I know is American style, but this is my year to make the leap to International. 8)
  17. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I have grown up with new vogue, the first ballroom studio I went to was heavily into the progressive side of things and I learnt at least 10 of them. Still remember bits and pieces now.

That said, I would say that out of the three ballroom competition categories, it would have to be my least favourite. Just something about everybody doing a set sequence of moves, does nothing for me (though with it being a form of dance, I still love it :lol: ). Seems to fit more with the social / progressive side of dancing, rather than competition.

To me, anything you do progressively in a circle is a form of new vogue. We do some progressive merengue, jive, samba and other things at my current studio, and find it a lot of fun. Great way to get to dance with all the beginners and get to know their level before you challenge them to a one on one dance. Probably less threatening for them.
  18. pygmalion

I can imagine it's fun to do, but competition would be a bear! I mean, how do you distinguish yourself in a field of competitors all doing the same thing? :shock: :(
  19. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Challenge!!? :? Come again! :?
  20. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I don't know... in my mind this would be the easiest for a qualified judge to adjudicate as they'd be comparing like with like after all. Then it's just a matter of comparing execution, artistry, and expression, etc., without having to account for unlike material...

Just my take on it...