Ballroom Dance > Videos > New Vogue

Discussion in 'Videos' started by QPO, Apr 12, 2008.

1. QPO

QPO New Member

Found on the Internet Samples of New Vogue, it is very limited I must say to the quality but I thought I would post it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsenwJ8zm4s this link shows youngsters doing the Merrilyn (Foxtrot)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrKc0RuITtk - shows Youth doing 1stly Tangoette (Tango :) ) and then the Gypsy Tap (4/4 timing march?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcgYstNHqjM - shows adult doing
    Tracie Lee Waltz, Excelsior Schottiche - (Foxtrot), Tango Terrific, Carousel (foxtrot) and Swing Waltz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=537YM0ZVfT0 Masters -shows Twilight Waltz, La Bomba (Tango) Carousel (foxtrot) and Swing Waltz

Not all are good examples of foot work and apologies also for the filming. But wanted to post something that gave you the opportunity to see something unique to Australia & New Zealand

2. FeetwithaBeat

FeetwithaBeat New Member

Thank you so much for posting this! I've wondered what New Vogue looked like for quite some time. Very cool!

3. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

So it looks like it has elements of American style dances, lots of shadow position, and a fixed choreography for all the couples on the floor. Do I have that right as far as I've got it?

4. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Actually it's more like English Old Time. Not everything tries to copy the American way of doing things ;-)

But yes, basically, New Vogue is sequence dancing, and most dances involve some shadow positioning or breaking of hold.

5. reb

reb Active Member

Thank you SO much for posting these!

It is good to see some of this unique style.

good observation - looks like there are some of these similarities - as we've been guessing in other threads . . .

We read White Chacha's words from two entirely different angles. I also try to relate to something I know to bridge a gap.

I'm not smart enough to know the word "copy" was in there . . . *&%*%, I just don't get this internet thing and how to read people's minds yet! Where is THAT button?

6. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

My appologies. Apparently a ;) doesn't imply humour (spelt with a 'u', because in Australia we use correct english ;) - Oops, done it again! ;) - And again! I can't stop myself!!!!! :p) on this forum. I'll remember that in the future.

Also, on topic - http://media.putfile.com/LaBomba - I didn't see the videos the first poster posted, but I thought I'd link to this couple - this is Brad and Brooke (before they split up) - NSW New Vogue champions a number of times over, and they're doing the La Bomba, which was their best dance, and my favourite.

7. mummsie

mummsie Member

Hi Waltzelf, Thank's for posting. I have been trying to get to it for some time but you beat me to it :) Good luck at the Crown this weekend.... Mummsie

8. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

I'm so glad I managed to take a good video of Brad and Brooke. They were my favourite New Vogue couple - though I think Brad and Nikki are going to be a great partnership now too.

If anyone has a video of Natalie Lowe and Stefano Olivieri, or Natalie Smith and Darryl Davenport, please post. Those two are the very best New Vogue couples I've personally seen. True professionals.

Mummsie, thank you very much for the well wishes, but our first comp together will be the NSW Open on the 25th of next month. We're expecting a good one - dancing New Vogue with a classically (of 16 odd years) trained ballet dancer is a sheer joy (and very easy for me!). She looks gorgeous in New Vogue.

9. QPO

QPO New Member

I have video

I do have video but it comes from the dancesport DVD and I don't have permission to post it. I am trying to get this from the Organization as it is much better quality and I think it would be great opportunity to promote New Vogue to the world.

If anyone has a video of Natalie Lowe and Stefano Olivieri, or Natalie Smith and Darryl Davenport, please post. Those two are the very best New Vogue couples I've personally seen. True professionals.

10. QPO

QPO New Member

Here is the link as requested to view Natalie Smith and Darryl Davenport, I hope you enjoy it, we took the video ourselves at the Easter Spectacular 2008 in Adelaide South Australia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RIPM9x1918

11. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Ah now that is New Vogue dancing.

See guys, that’s two of the very best New Vogue dancers in the country strutting their stuff. :-D

(I might be a bit biased though, Natalie is my NV teacher).

Thanks OPO!

12. White Chacha

I was only trying to relate New Vogue to something I know. To some friends, I've now described it as being "like a competitive form of round dancing".

I wouldn't call round dance a sequence dance, but similar in that all the couples on the floor do the same choreography at the same time, to a particular piece of music. A person named a "cuer" actually tells the dancers what figures to do, much like a caller at a square dance instructs the squares of dancers. Round dance is what I did before (and still do) I did ballroom. I've spent much of my ballroom time unlearning things ;-)

13. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

same thing , without a " caller ", called Modern Sequence in the UK

14. White Chacha

Are there Latin dances as well?

15. tangotime

Yes-- many

16. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

No competitive ones in New Vogue, though there have been some written that are performed at socials etc.

17. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the original aspect ratio was not the 3:4 I'm getting from youtube. Is there any way to get youtube to display the correct aspect ratio?

18. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I just don't get New Vouge. I don't understand what it is supposed to be. I really, really, really enjoyed the vid of Natalie Smith and Darryl Davenport, but, giving away my ag..er...experience, what they are doing is what BR dancers once called Cabaret (before Cabaret became Theatre Arts). Is NV the same as the old Fred/Ginger style of Cabaret?

19. tangotime

Its an extension of Modern Sequence .

20. White Chacha

If you capture the youtube video, you can use VLC to play it. VLC has an aspect ratio control which will do the right thing. It's pretty easy to grab the video on a mac.