Ballroom Dance > New York Dance Festival and American Style Congress 2014

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by NonieS, Nov 11, 2013.

1. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Since I randomly came upon this thread, I thought I should say that Eddie announced in Smooth Rounds last week that the winners of the Amateur Smooth event will have their flights to BYU Nationals paid for as their scholarship. He said that if the event is a semi, that the second place couple will have their flights sponsored as well. We asked if the third place couple would be included if the event made it to a quarterfinal and he was like, "oh maybeeeee I would have to speak with the sponsor...."

So guys we should all show up in full force at the 2014 NYDF. This is an incredible chance to have more Northeast Smoothie representation at BYU!!!

For anyone else still waffling, it is an awesome comp, and with the American Style Congress now on Sunday, no one has to take off work to attend. Also, since the American Style Congress is a thing that exists in this dimension, it means that Eddie has one of the most amazingly legit Smooth panels I have ever seen in my life. We should really all be competing there if for no other reason than that we can be seen by Toni Redpath/David Hamilton/Jonathan Roberts/Michael Mead/JT Thomas/EVERYONE IN THE WORLD. Lastly, Eddie Simon is a wonderful human being and we should all come and support his event for that reason alone.

For the record, I don't work for the NYDF or the Congress... I am just really excited about everything.

2. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Sync and I did it last year. Even though it was small in competitors, it was absolutely awesome. And finally someone is supporting BYU attendence. This is great!

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I just got off the phone with Ed and was chatting with him about the need for maybe an Invigilators session. Since the NDCA now has a codified Bronze Syllabus, and in January will do the same for its silver syllabus, I think we should be able to hear from someone about what those syllabi entail, and the nuances that help you be creative within strict syllabus routines.

j_alexandra, Meagan and smidra86 like this.
  4. Foxytrot

Foxytrot New Member

Yay!!! How exciting!!!!!!

5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

NYDF is on the horizon. Who's going?

6. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I'll be there with bells* on.

*bells = tons of hair gel and my Smooth get-up.

ajiboyet and j_alexandra like this.
  7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Heat lists are up.

8. dlliba10

10 couple semi in Am Smooth! Wheeeee!

j_alexandra likes this.
  9. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Does anyone have the results from Rising Star Standard last night, I wanted to see who was in the final? I know that my couple was second and I know who was first but not sure about the other couples in the final. Its so sad I am not there nor vending like I was planning to, I just realized the venue is half a block away from my work location. If anyone who is there today wants to grab lunch today, send me a PM.

10. dlliba10

Can anyone report on the American Style Congress? Favorite lecture? Most useful lecture? Misses rather than hits? I wish I could have gone!

11. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I was only there for the afternoon session--no misses, all hits. I particularly appreciated the demonstrations that they included. I was there for the Sat evening session of the comp and then the afternoon of the congress. I found the whole thing very inspirational and was stunned by the quality of the American smooth AM couples. My two favorites presentations were Wendy Johnson and David Hamilton, but that is partially because I dance smooth much more than I do rhythm and I was suffering from a severe lack of caffeine during Paul Holms's smooth presentation. I'm planning to get the DVD to see/hear it all again.

I would highly recommend it to anybody who can attend next year.

12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

How do you order the DVDs? I have done so in the past but couldn't find a link to order last year's DVD.

13. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Thanks so much!