New York StyleZ

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by opendoor, Jun 20, 2010.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Here in Germany New York style almost seems to be synonymous with Eddie Torres. But, is New York - Paladium style (Mambo classico) still alive?

Thanks in advance
  2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

It depends upon where you are... I teach it if asked ( seldom happens ) and, I have Assoc. who only teach that style..
  3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yes, although in the vast minority it still exists; most commonly under the label "power 2".
  4. opendoor

And what do you teach? Only the different accent (pause on 1) or a different styling, too? And does it look like on these old videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe3Z0nngqR0 ? The speaker quotes from 1:16 on that Palladium wasn´t standardized. What is shown then resembles more stage choreos rather than a fashionable social dancing style.

thanks for answering
  5. tangotime

pretty much most of the old vids, are what we used to dance socially ( the Pal. clip is a little exagerated, and is not completely representative.. LA was not quite as wild ).. but.. what we taught ,was a less frenetic variety.

As to the commentary, I would dis agree with the comment that NO one cared about what beat we danced on.. emphatically not true... if ya didnt dance on "2", then you were not considered " with it ".. and of course, there many that didnt dance on "2" and were good dancers, but, like today, it just seemed different on "1".
    I have, however, succumbed to teaching on "1" primarily for expediency, but do introduce "2" to the non beginners class..

What one seldom sees now, are the numerous variations in partership( moves ), that were common place ,that never transitioned to todays market place .. ..

As to what I teach.. more of the older type figures, that were in the syl. of the many studios and danced in public, and, I use music from that era ( I also occasionally use that when I DJ, and in my classes , I show the older material from time to time )...

PS.. for anyone living in the Atl area.. Bob Mitchell ( same era as me ) still teaches there 2 days a week if you are interested in the older style, and in Fla nr Leesburg, Ray Gardner, also in the same style ...
  6. opendoor

7. opendoor

Another question on2

Found this historical TV documentation about the history of cuban dances on YT. A professional (or maybe official cuban would fit better ;) ) couple shows the basis step patters of ChaChaChá . But ! they dance it on1 (f.i. 1:30 and 3:14) - Why?
    Is the original cuban version different from the NewYork offshoot of Mambo? Any explanations would help.
    thx in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE3c8y3WPF0
  8. tangotime

Because Guajira was founded before Cha Cha ( the original format ) ,and its syncopation is different to that of standard Cha...(its sometimes combined within a double bar with" standard" Cha rhythm )..

In the dance part.. they are breaking on FOUR and the syncop is 2 and 3( odd, because when Mambo was first introduced in the A.M. studios ( 1950) , it was taught on 4.. changed very shortly afterwards to 2 )
  9. tangotime

10. opendoor

really thanks for this competent and quick answer !
    OD

and, why this? was the puertorican influence?
  11. tangotime

No.. the Clave.. and the change in musical composition
  12. Tony_Salvi

Tony_Salvi New Member

As a quick side note, I love seeing performances where dancers can emulate the old Palladium style.

@tangotime, I heard that back in the Palladium days the linear CBL wasn't yet a "staple" of mambo, and it was not uncommon to see more of a circular CBL. Do you know if there's any truth to this?
  13. tangotime

Far from the truth.. it was( and is ) in the Basic Bronze level Mambo, taught then and now, and danced in linear, and eventually, circular.... remember, CBL is strongly influenced by WC Swing, and that is its origin ( as are many of todays Mambo/ Salsa variations ) ...

The Mambo we danced in LA, was indicative of what people today call "LA" style.. very slotted , and yet, had several "circular " figures in the Syl..like all teachers, we experimented with standard stuff ( Rocki Mari, a well known dancer/promoter had some very unusual moves ) and the PR in LA ( my mentors ) had a slightly different approach, blending the Cuban style in with the linear ( which I still teach and dance )..

PS.. if you are interested in learning "old " school Mambo.. Bob Mitchell ( same era as me ) is still teaching in Greensboro and Atlanta..
  14. pielcanela

pielcanela New Member

I been living in NYC for the last 3 years and i have yet to find a class that teaches this style. I have heard anecdotal talk that someone does or did. But i have yet to find a solid lead. I am sure if an instructor is specifically asked he could teach it in a private, but to consider it "still alive in nyc" i haven't seen any evidence of it. It will be cool though to just at least have the chance to see it live, or take a group class.
  15. tangotime

Another project for me.
  16. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Every now and then, I'll be out dancing in a salsa club, and I'll get an old school leader who dances Palladium style. And my first formal salsa teacher taught on 1, but himself preferred Palladium -- and he's in his 30s. Grew up doing it at home. So it's rare, but exists.