Dance Ads > North Florida Dance Happenings Posted 4/25/03

Discussion in 'Dance Ads' started by Pass It On, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Pass It On

Pass It On New Member

From Kathleen Scalise - North Star (Florida) USABDA

Hello!!

Hope this email finds everybody doing well and doing lots of dancing...I started this last week...where does time go??

Let's see...we lost another dance venue...Celebrations The Event Centre will no longer be holding Ballroom dance events on the third Friday any longer...due to lack of participation they felt they had to discontinue this venue. A loss for us dancers here in Jacksonville. I also heard that there is no longer a dance at Knights of Columbus on Friday nights ... where have I been???

Last week-end was the 64th River City Mini Match...small one this time...Tommy and Lynn did a great rhythm show! Congrats to Tiffany Korte from ASA who won the Jr. Amateur Battle of the Giants and to Charles McCaffrey and Heather Wilcox for the 'Duel' of the Silver Slipper. Congrats to all of you that danced!! Great job! Next Mini Match will be July 12.

Let's see what we got coming up...

Saturday, April 26, 2003
    Boleros Grand Championship will be held at Boleros DanceSport and Wellness Center. Competition begins at 9 AM. Spectator tickets for the comp only is $20. That evening the Showdance Championships will be held and a spectacular show by Jean Marc and France and Alain and Anik. Tickets for the evening session is $42. I don't know if it is too late to join them for dinner, the cost is $65...but you better call NOW to make sure you can get your reservation in. 904.721.3399 for more information.
    Saturday, May 3, 2003
    North Star Chapter and Pharcyde Entertainment presents ... Ballroom, Latin and Swing dancing at Copacabana DanceSport inside the Arts Triumphant Dance Conservatory - 8159 Arlington Expressway. Cost is $7 per person, $5 for North Star Members. {broken link removed}

Sunday, May 18, 2003
    North Star Chapter USABDA will be holding their monthly dance at Friday Musicale. Nelson Higgins will be our guest instructor. Friday Musicale is located at 655 Oak Street in Riverside. Members are $5 and non-members are $10. If you have any questions or require additional information...please let me know!!
    Friday, May 23, 2003
    Lorna Greenwood will be performing at Universal/United Dance Studio. Performance and dancing starts at 8:30 pm - 11:30 PM. Cost is $10 per person. Soft drinks and snacks will be provided. Call 772-8330 for more information.

Saturday, May 24, 2003
    A Social Affair will be holding Jax Summer DanceSport Challenge at the Hilton Hotel and Towers. Featuring Showtime with 10-Time US Rhythm Latin Champions Bob Powers and Julia Gorchakova. Ticket prices for dinner and show is $75. For information and tickets call 262-9709.
    Saturday, May 31, 2003
    Spring Fling - Heather Wilcox and Shelley Barker Spring Showcase at Celebrations. Show starts at 7 pm. Featuring the 2nd act of Cha Cha Memoirs performed by Pharcyde Entertainment. Tickets are $35 per person. Call 608-0550 for more information.
    June 26-28, 2003
    There will be a dance camp in Orlando on June 26, 27 and 28 hosted by The World Arts Dance Foundation. Instructors include Bob Powers and Julia Gorchikova, Donald Johnson and Katarzyna Kozak, Igor and Irina Suvarov, David Rosario and Larissa Trebunskaya and more!! There will be vendors and more!! The camp will be held at the Hyatt Regency International and the cost is...are you ready...$350 per person plus $99 per night hotel!! Juniors...are you ready...it is FREE!!.. For more information ... http://www.ballroomdancecamp.org/

OK...now for our regular weekly dance venues...

Tuesdays

Rhythm Tuesdays have started back up with Heather and Shelly...they are back at Southstreet Grille in Tinseltown!!! Beginner lessons at 8 PM, Intermediate lesson at 8:45. No cover charge!
    FBI Beach BOP at Club Savoy, 6354 Arlington Rd. www.danceclubsavoy.com 8pm-12 Cost $5 for Club Savoy and FBI members, $7 non-members DJ Earl Yeomans. Beginner Beach Bop lessons 7pm. Intermediate Beach Bop lessons 7:30pm .
    West Coast Swing lessons by Suzanne Lilly at Club Savoy until March 11. No charge with regular door admission at 7 pm.
    Intermediate West Coast Swing lessons at Dance Warehouse , 365 Park Street. Not sure about this one...check with Debi Dillow at 724-9473 or e mail DebiDillow@attbi.com before heading out there
    Wednesdays
    First Coast Shag Club at Bimini Lounge at the Marriott (I-95 & JTB) Basic/intermediate shag lessons, 7-7:30 p.m. Beginner shag lessons, 7:30-8:15 p.m.; dancing, 8:15-10:30, Rotating DJ's; No cover charge (half price appetizers and 2 for 1 drinks until 8:00)
    April ........ West Coast Swing lessons this month with Debi Dillow at Crazy Horse - 5800 Phillips Highway from 7:00 - 8:15 PM. Cover $5 (if it is not West Coast it will be some sort of partner dance...changes monthly)
    West Coast Swing and Polka Classes at Crazy Horse II in Orange Park by Mike Stowe from 8:00 - 9:30. He will be teaching a combination of West Coast Swing and Polka classes each Wednesday from April through June . For more information {broken link removed}
    Line Dance lessons at 8 Seconds, class begins at 8:15 with Larry Bass, no cover charge.
    Line Dance lessons with Carol McClantoc at Club Savoy, 6354 Arlington Road 7-8 pm. General line dancing afterwards. Cost $5
    Thursdays

Ballroom Dancing at Club Savoy, 6354 Arlington Rd. www.danceclubsavoy.com 8pm-till Cost $5 DJ Kelly Cordell. Free lessons 8:00p to 8:30p
    57 Heaven (Atlantic Blvd) BOP & ROCK music starting at 8pm DJ Cadillac Ray Gahafer
    April ...... West Coast Swing lessons at Crazy Horse II (Orange Park) beginning at 8:00 p.m. by Debbie & Clark Fullbright. Class flyer which includes the schedule on our web page at {broken link removed}.
    Fridays
    Club Savoy, 6354 Arlington Rd. www.danceclubsavoy.com OPEN DANCING 8pm-12 Cost $5 for Club Savoy members $7non-members DJ Tony Gonzalez Free Dance lessons with Michael Payne 7:30-8:30
    COUPLES DANCE CLASSES at Crazy Horse Saloon - 5800 Phillips Highway 8pm - 9pm taught by Clark & Debbie Fullbright. Classes change weeky, for schedule {email address removed} or {broken link removed}
    Orange Park Singles hold a dance at the Lions Club at Knights of Columbus at 3920 Old Middleburg Road., 7:30 to 11:30, $6 members, $8 non-members, Cost for membership is $12.00 a year, get in free the night you join. BYOB, Set-ups provided. Music changes weekly. Line Dance lessons before dance.
    Bimini Lounge at the Marriott in (I-95 & JTB) will be hosting Latin/Swing night. Leslie and Isaiah will be teaching a FREE group class from 8-8:45 PM. No cover charge.
    Free Shag lessons at Studebakers in Orange Park 7:30 to 8:30. No cover if you arrive early.
    Saturdays
    Ierna's (formerly Arthur Murray Dance Studio on Atlantic Blvd.) hosts a ballroom dance. FREE group class at 8 pm. Cost is $5. {broken link removed}
    Universal/United Ballroom hosts a dance every Saturday night. FREE group class at 7 PM, general dancing from 8-11. $7 per person...soft drinks and snacks provided. Call Rick at 772-8330 for more information.
    Boleros host dances on most Saturdays...always suggest calling before heading out...I will try to let you know which Saturdays. Right now I am sure of May 31 and either May 10 or 17 (or both). I will let you know when I get confirmation!!!
    Atomic Latin and Swing Party at Dance Elite Dance Club on Kingsley. Dave Mitchell teaches a group class from 8-9 and dancing is from 9-11. $7 admission at the door, $5 in advance.
    Sundays
    "Attitude" Line Dance lessons in the Bimini Lounge at the Marriott (I-95 & JTB) with Vickie & Friends FREE lessons from 4pm-6pm then Intermediate Shag lessons from 6:00pm-7:30pm Host: First Coast Shag Club
    Beach Bop, Shag, and Swing dancing in the Bimini Lounge at the Marriott (I-95 & JTB) 7:30-10pm. Rotating DJ's No cover charge (half price appetizers and 2 for 1 drinks until 8:00) Host: First Coast Shag Club
    Lessons at Dance Elite Dance Club on Kingsley Avenue with Tim Carter. Cost is $7 per person. Lessons 7-8 pm. General dancing until 10 pm. BYOB - setups available for $1.
    OK Folks...let's get out there and DANCE!!! . Hope everybody is doing well and doing lots of dancing...as always be sure to check out these dance venues before heading out!! Hope to see you all soon...if not soon...definitely on the dancefloor!!!

Kathleen