Dancers Anonymous > Not contagious?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Peaches, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

How do you know when you're not contagious (from a cold, in my case) anymore?

I've got dance class tonight, and i desperately want to go. But I'm not going if I could give this cold to other people. But how do you know when you're not contagious anymore? From friends who have gotten this before me, I know this cold has long-lasting symptoms (fatigue, head congestion) even when it seems as if the illness itself has passed.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

a standard way to gear it is whether or not you still have a temp....btw, I worked for hospice for 10 years and this was the rule they went by...and there was alot on the line if they were wrong...i.e not good to expose a dying person....this is also the rule at my dtr's school

3. alemana

alemana New Member

if you can dance without coughing a lot, go.

4. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

In addition, the color of your, to put it delicately, discharge is a good clue. If it's green or bright yellow, it probably still contains the live organism. If it's white or clear, the bug is probably gone.

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice, guys.

It looks like I'm good to go. Now if only had the energy. Maybe it will give me energy, kind of like working out (which I distantly remember...).

6. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

The LW was ill with gastroenteritis (the stomach/intestinal virus) a few weeks ago. She found that the deep breathing associated with a.) singing in church choir rehearsal and b.) going to a studio dance was helpful.

P.S. Glad you're better, Peaches!

7. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Oy - I had that once and thought I was dying.

8. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Is the reduction in coughing still a useful gauge on deciding whether or not to brave a class?

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

think temperature is a much bigger concern, while coughing is an annoyance, it isn't a big deal unless you are contagious...and temperature is a bigger tell on that

10. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Being fever free is a good rule of thumb. As is if you generally just feel up to it. If your body is still struggling to get you through the activites of daily living, it's probably a good idea to cancel. If you feel up to it but just tire more quickly or have to stop for the occasional cough or blowing of the nose, probably ok to go.

One thing I've done over the years is contact my pro (or dance partner), let them know the situation, and be sure they are ok with it on their end. This is just a kind and courteous thing to do as one can never be positive that they aren't still contagious (or ever were in the first place 99% of the time). That way, they can weigh the potential risks and decide for themselves. I am usually told to "bring it" as my pro has this weird fascination with the power of his immune system. I think he views it as a challenge. :rolleyes: