Dancers Anonymous > Not too pleased with Tapatalk

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, May 19, 2015.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I know some of you are fans, but I may need to discontinue the service. And here are the main reasons:
    1. Since turning it on traffic is down. Actually our sister site Salsa Forums is busier than this site! (and no Tapatalk)
    2. Our advertisers don't get their ads viewed when the posts are viewed on Tapatalk
    3. People who don't have tapatalk who try to view our forum from their phone get hit with a big screen inviting them to use Tapatalk. They have to either close this popup window or agree to use Tapatalk. Especially frustrating if you don't want to join or forum yet, just read a thread.
    So anyways, I don't want to upset anyone but I feel this is not a good match. I've tested it for a couple of weeks now and it seems to be impacting our traffic, and there are just a handful of people using it.

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I don't think a total of three people using tapatalk is dropping your traffic. Frankly I think it is spring/summer and people just are out doing things. The same way the ballroom studios realize a drop in attendance this month... every year.

I certainly haven't been using it, because without taptalk I simply got out of the habit of logging in at all from my phone.

3. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Point 3 above is annoying at times. Doesn't happen every time, but when it does it is hard to get the ad to go away so I can read the forum. Extra page load just for the ad, too, which is bad when internet is already slow at times on the phone.

atk likes this.
  4. DanceMentor

So a large part of our traffic comes from Google. If someone arrives on the site from Google and has never used our forum before, the first thing they see is Tapatalk. They must first close this window or join Tapatalk. Basically they are getting hit with a popup. This means that it affects approximately 100 unique people per day. Ijust created this message on my phone and I feel we are pretty mobile friendly now. I would rather focus on making it even more friendly for people without having to use tapatalk to do it.

5. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Can the pop up be turned off? ( leaving Tapa talk available for those who want to use it? )

6. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

i uninstalled tapatalk because it would log in behind the scene and mark threads as read. Then, to avoid this when I logged in from mobile browser and was I was then annoyed by the pop up.

7. stash

stash Well-Known Member

That popup would show up even when the forum hadn't been updated for tapatalk. So I'm not sure what the big deal is. Or at least it was always a popup for me when I tried the mobile friendly version.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  8. DanceMentor

Will check into this.

9. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Same here. I do have to say, with the changes to the mobile site, it's much more user friendly and I don't feel I'd need tapatalk anymore.

Lioness likes this.
  10. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

It is bigger and more frequent on my phone now than before. Previously it was an occasional banner at the top, which you could scroll past. Now it sometimes takes over the whole screen, with little indication you are going to DF. If I wasn't already familiar with DF, I would think I had a bad search link, or bad bookmark. And the full page one is not easy to dismiss (the "x" doesn't always work on first try).

11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

yes, it has been there all along from me regardless.

stash likes this.