Tango Argentino > Videos > Nuevo Milonguero

Discussion in 'Videos' started by bordertangoman, Mar 19, 2012.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Ivor Polk in his classification of ’11 Argentine Tango Styles’,* identifies one tango style as:

Nuevo Close Embrace. Sometimes called Nuevo Milonguero. Very sensitive, no lean or very small one, very smooth. Dancers do not separate. … “Milonguero style” is a simple form of this style.

Describing a favorite unnamed couples’ performance, Polk elaborates:

They have danced in what I call “Tango Nuevo in close embrace” style. Yes, with all those “kicks”, ganchos, and volcadas, but how virtually effortless and sublime they were performed! They swam in the ocean of movement. This style is characterized with smooth movements, I can not even say “steps”, and very sensitive embrace without lean, even though cortes (corte is a cut step, which is not really cut, it is just a name) are quite often there.

=

*http://www.virtuar.com/tango/articles/2005/tango_styles.htm
    **Footnote; any of the old guard in BSAs will say that nothing is new in tango, someone in the past has already done it.

2. bordertangoman

and to a traditional tango ( whose name escapes me)

3. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

It's Mi Dolor, I think.

4. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Let me start off by saying that I think Nicks Jones is one of the best American leaders I've ever met, and if you are into performances, he is a great one to watch.

However, I don't know what Polk is seeing, as this is a straight nuevo dance, as only occasionally do they get into anything remotely resembling a milonguero style close embrace. I'm wondering how far apart they'd have to get before Polk would be able to detect some separation.

Was Polk really referring to this dance?

5. rain_dog

rain_dog Active Member

I don't think so - the date on the page quoted by BTM is from 2005, before either of the videos, so it's possible they used to dance in a more close embrace.

On the other hand, Nick is in my local tango community, so I've watched him dance a lot, and I don't think I've ever seen him dance in anything like a milonguero embrace for very long.

6. bordertangoman

I agree about the close embrace, but I love the smoothness of Nick & Tara's dancing.

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi dchester! Nuevo Milonguero does not mean a mix or crossover from the said styles. First and foremost it is an concept equivalent to the term indie (independent) in world of music styles. Someone who is labelling himself Nuevo Milonguero indicates, that he neither belongs to the VU (Perez-Dispari), Escenario (Copes-Arquimbau-Dinzel-Bravo), Neo (Naveira-Frumbuli), or Milonguero (Miller) patronage system.

8. bordertangoman

ere we Umberto Eco's Foucalt's Pendulum all over again......

but who labels themselves Nuevo Milonguero?

I prefer Salonguero myself.....:rolleyes:

9. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

My reply was based on the definition provided in the OP.
    "Nuevo Close Embrace. Sometimes called Nuevo Milonguero. Very sensitive, no lean or very small one, very smooth. Dancers do not separate. … “Milonguero style” is a simple form of this style."

10. bordertangoman

touche and petards away...

sorry Opendoor; Polk refers to his perception of styles, not what people are calling themselves.. elsewhere there has been observation of nuevo style moves being done to traditional music in BsAs, and i would guess most of us are learning from teachers who dont advertise their lineage or "style" (unless its a selling point eg VU, but I dont see many people emerging as as VU dancers, I speak from my limited perception of the UK))

But I would have thought that Homer and Christina might be a better example, but they are not adherents to any particular style.

What I find more interesting about what Nick dances is his use of changing height; maybe an influence from blues dancing...

11. bordertangoman

Nicl also dances like this

12. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Gustavo Rosas and Gisela Natoli f.i. I had several workshops with them and talked a lot about styles with them.

Sure you meant Salonguerrero :tongue:

13. rain_dog

rain_dog Active Member

He also dances like this : watch?v=FbUVuGVDbtE (can't embed links yet) :D

14. bordertangoman