Tango Argentino > Nuevo trio

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by korto maltese, Mar 30, 2016.

1. korto maltese

korto maltese New Member

So,to my limited experience, Fabian,Gustavo and Chicho are considered the holy triad of nuevo..I want to start a discussion about the individual characteristics of these three...Naveira seems precise as a surgeon ,he looks like the most perfect of the three,i could not imagine that some songs would be interpreted the way he does them.(i could swear he likes michael jackson,he is so smooth sometimes..)..

Chicho looks like a rather ordinary guy in terms of motion and movement,i have seen people in my community who have better movement than him,but they are so boring..Chicho never bores me..I acknowledge the fact that he possesses tons of technique too.

And Salas..He is a mystery to me..I saw some old videos and i thought this was perfect..And then,when you think that tango dancers get better as time passes,like the wine, i find videos of 2012 and i think"this guy has gone mad,that's awful".. for example.
    1) /watch?v=tTMDeCw19EE
    2) /watch?v=nSOxkaMHOpY

The second seems too exaggerated to me..What's your opinion?What do you think you can gain from each dancer?

2. Reuven Thetanguero

Reuven Thetanguero Active Member

How do we watch those videos??

3. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

On Youtube

4. Reuven Thetanguero

Reuven Thetanguero Active Member

It seems to me that those two videos are of a "performance" Tango. When you perform you do steps to captivate your audience. He may be a great tanguero in social dancing environment, which you will net see when he performs.

5. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

I really like the first video by Fabian Salas, it's really classy.
    In second one he is out of shape (gain weight and it's obvious he hasn't danced lately).

I used to like chicho but not anymore. He doesn't have the energy in the performances any more.

I am not a fan of Gustavo Naveira performances, to technical and there is not intimacy in performances.
    Although I see some cool tricks and excellent dancing technique it leaves emotionless.

6. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

FWIW, I've had classes with all of them.

I'd describe Gustavo, as being the most analytical in teaching style. Some people say, everyone should take some classes from him, to learn his "system" as it is called. I'm not sure I agree with that, but I did get value from his teachings, as it wasn't strictly about nuevo, but more about Tango in general, with some stuff that went into the nuevo genre.

Fabian was easily the most personable of the three. When I took his classes, the topics tended be be more in the nuevo genre than Gustavo, but he (and Lola) were really good at making sure people understood what they were teaching. If they are teaching something that interests you, you'll like them a lot. He also told lots of funny jokes.

Chicho, is the most interesting to describe. If he's teaching at a festival where the classes are labeled Intermediate and advanced. I recommend the intermediate ones. In those classes, he teaches a fair amount of technique (that is applicable across the board), where as in the advanced classes, he mostly just taught steps or sequences. I felt his technique teaching was really helpful, such as how to lead, and other such things. I liked his intermediate level classes quite a bit. I've also learned a lot about expressing musicality from him. (Expressing musicality is what's really special about Chicho, IMO).

7. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Original poster you seem to want a discussion about them as dancers. Not as thinkers or pioneers or theoreticians or teachers. Which in some way in unfair to them. They will always pale in front of "pure dancers".
    If it was about posting about them as teachers, I would say very different things, as I have attended much more classes with them than I saw performances of theirs.
    But ok.
    Gustavo: he has an incredible presence and sharpness. He's a magnet. Like Al Pacino, when he's on stage among other people your attention gets focussed only on him.
    Fabian: he never got the follower he deserved, never had anyone like a Giselle Anne or a Eugenia Parilla.
    Chicho: He's a troll, like there are forum trolls. I saw a performance of him when he was dancing on the breathe of a bandoneon. The musician was just opening and closing the bandoneon, with non-repetitive rythm. There was no music. The audience was in doubt. Was Chicho a genius, or a fraud? Just in case, we all applauded at the end.

8. Lois Donnay

Lois Donnay Member

I took lessons from Gustavo and Fabian as far back as in 1998. I've followed their careers for awhile. Here is my take (personal opinions only): Gustavo doesn't (or didn't) like teaching, especially mere mortals. It's like asking Van Gogh to teach a community ed painting class. He likes working with people who have talent, barely tolerated others. Nowadays he's nicer, speaks English, and has an awesome partner who handles him well. Fabian is a great teacher, caring and articulate (he is a lawyer by training). However, there about 2009(?), after being asked for the gazillionth time to teach colgadas to people who couldn't walk, stand up or embrace correctly, he started to get jaded. He would toss off his classes in a way that said "You're never going to get this, but you keep asking so I'll teach it, and I am beyond caring" I think he really didn't want to teach, or even dance, anymore. Then, he met Lola. She recognized the opportunity she had, and became his organizer and promoter. She brought him back to dancing and teaching. Now he is happily married, to a great woman, but she is not a very good tango dancer. Since he hadn't been dancing, he became rusty, but I think he will rally (I hope). He will still not have the tango partner he deserves, (unless Lola allows him to), but is still articulate, and now, happy. I don't know anything about Chico, but have heard he doesn't treat women very well.