Salsa > NYC Congress (8/31-9/3) -who's going?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by africana, Aug 1, 2006.

1. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

what are you saying africana? that they weren't telling me the whole story? that's why I asked them the question to begin with... cuz all the videos I've seen of the salsa congress seemed to be on carpet. So I really need to know. I've never danced on carpet! :--) What are the best shoe surfaces for carpet?

Tx.

2. africana

africana New Member

oh boy I guess I was confusing.

There ARE wooden floors, that is standard, and they're usually very nice for dancing. The carpet trend is for the would-be stars to be seen and filmed with circles of people oogling. I guess that's better than taking up the dance floor heh

3. genEus

genEus New Member

I can only guess what Africana is talking about but I think this is it... There is the main hardwood dance floor but usually it's too crowded, so all the advanced dancers decide to forgo the easier-to-dance-on wooden floor and instead dance on the carpet, where it's less crowded. So, when Africana talks about the carpet-dancing wannabe's it's the people who, usually self-deceivingly believe that by dancing on the carpet they claim that they're already "up there" as dancing on the carpet as they see it symbolizes their level of dance and elevates them above the people dancing on the main floor... Some may call those people poseurs. heh

4. africana

africana New Member

actually NY congress hasn't had the "too crowded" problem in a couple years, another reason why the carpet dancers seem ridiculous

5. genEus

genEus New Member

Yep! So, the trend started out of necessity but transformed into something that people will superficially do simply for what "carpet dancing" symbolizes in their minds

6. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

ah, now I get it, having read all the posts. god, ya gotta love it!! all the ways people try to psych each other up and out. Yeah, all the videos I've seen of folks dancing on carpet were definitely superior dancers, but not actually BEING at any of these places, I can't say whether they were on carpet out of necessity or not. anyway, it'll be fun once I see the congress in NY, and see if folks are on the carpet, and whether there was a real need to be, due to space issues.... ;--)

now I've got a new phrase to use with my salsa friends...."oh, you're nothing but a carpet dancer" (show-off). i imagine some of them have never been to a congress, and so will have no idea what i'm talking about and so I'll have to explain it...

7. genEus

genEus New Member

With all the above being said, you also cannot automatically classify all the people dancing on the carpet as poseurs. At a couple places I did choose to dance on the carpet, giving it absolutely no second thought, simply because I was tired of having to constantly look around to protect my partner from being bumped into on the main floor. But I certainly don't consider myself more than an advanced beginner dancer.

8. alemana

alemana New Member

eh, you know what i said to you last year - to pay that much money to see too many performances (mostly by groups i've already seen a dozen times) and dance with (sorry in advance for saying it) a mix of people i already dance with several times a week (the minority) plus a large gaggle of LESS advanced tourists.. it just doesn't seem worth it.

9. alemana

alemana New Member

and yeah, the floor was exceedingly not too crowded last year.

10. africana

africana New Member

Mostly true, but there are a good handful of advanced "tourists", with different styles. Good to mix things up
    this reminds me of yet another reason why I dislike the carpet dancing folk--- while I would like to be occupied with decent dances, I don't want to be surrounded by watchers and cameras the whole time. Those guys dance even rougher/showier when they see that people are watching. Also sometimes I don't like the frequent gang-leading where a group of men (or boys hah!) taking turns displaying their prowess with a single female performer as their victim >> those are guys I could be dancing with, what a waste :(
    Anyhow the spectator-ship and migration of self-promoters to the carpet detracts a bit from the social dancing experience since many of the relatively advanced dancers are busy getting "exposed" instead of socializing. It's not evil or bad, it's just irritating cos 80% of the time I don't find their skills impressive enough to merit the attn

I actually like catching the performances, so I can pick out the better dancers/groups lol but i hate sitting thru long performances

11. alemana

alemana New Member

there are ALWAYS salsa tourists in new york - i don't need to pay congress fees to dance with them :)

love the "gang lead" turn of phrase - so apt! i always have the same thought - why don't you guys spread yourselves out, yo?

and what you say about the carpet dancers is so true - they rarely merit the attention they seek.

i'm spoiled by Jimmy's, i think. one room, one floor, shut up and dance :)

12. Beto

Beto Active Member

I think Jimmy's is why our monthly Sunday social (normally? PACKED with a who's who of folks I want to dance with) here in DC was so empty. Everyone I talked to (prior to this past weekend) said they were going up. Also explains why last night was so dead too (people were probably too tired from Jimmy's, AND/or from my personal experience, probably too spoiled by all the good dancing you find up there to even bother coming out last night).

13. KiwiMambo

KiwiMambo New Member

Attending Jimmy's and then the congress is for whimps. You want to do Frankie's body isolation class, then Jimmy's, then Congress :)

You have to go to Jimmy's. Last year I got good dancing at the congress but Jimmy's was so much better. Now I understand why locals don't go to the congress - why pay $40 when you can pay $11 and get better dancing.

14. jenibelle

jenibelle New Member

So I have done Eddies class a few times but never Frankie Martinez. Which do you recommend?

15. alemana

alemana New Member

if you've done the former a few times, def. the latter.

16. africana

africana New Member

Yup, the $$ factor makes congress almost meaningless. It's true, the over-hyped "advanced" dancers at congresos are at the 'normal' NYC levels <sigh>

really if there were socials like Jimmy's everyday that weekend I would skip the congress for those. I'm only going to the congress b/c that's a holiday and I gotta have guarateed good dancing :)

Hope we all get to meet. It would be a shame if we all had the same iternerary all weekend and never meet (I don't know what you guys look like jeni, kiwi, yippee ;))

17. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Africana and others - my picture is with my profile (just click on View Profile or whatever). I haven't had the time yet to figure out how to make it so that my pic shows up with all my posts... My real name is Lynn btw. Just ask the most advanced ON-2 dancers you see at the congress to point you in my direction. They all know me. ;-) And what about your pic? And Alemana... I'll have to be on the lookout for that arched eyebrow of yours! :--)

Anyway, I know that at the very least, I will be attending the social on the 2nd, along with my pals from the NYC Salsa Meetup group. I've never been to a congress, so even if there are lots of "tourists", I'd still like to see what these congresses are like, and to witness the "carpet dancers". :--)

You know I've been hearing more and more about these Yamulee socials, but for some reason that social isn't on my salsa crowd's radar. But then too, my crowd generally sticks to the socials in Manhattan, and lower/mid-Manhattan at that. I on the other hand am a bit more "adventurous" than many Manhattanites, and actually enjoy going to other areas. I just might have to check that social out on my own, as it sounds quite good! I also heard about another social that sounded really good, in Jersey City, in a storefront across from a laundromat or something?? Anyone know that one?

18. africana

africana New Member

photo album link doesn't work?

19. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Thanks Africana, for directing me to your photo album. I was able to see your photo. I'll try and watch out for you at the congress. You can't tell from my photo, but I'm petite (5'3", and right now 100 lbs.) so maybe that'll help you in recognizing me as well at the congress. (I've actually LOST weight over the past few months. It's GOT to be from all the dancing! And I really would rather weigh a bit more... I personally don't want to be "too skinny". So I'm making a conscious effort to eat more pasta, shakes, etc. :--)

20. KiwiMambo

KiwiMambo New Member

If you want to know what I look like, I have uploaded my picture to my profile. I'll be at Frankies', Jimmy's and Congress.

Africana, I recognize your pics and saw you dance at the DC Congress. You were great to watch! I didn't ask you to dance because I only stand a mere 5' 5" in my Jazz shoes. You must have been close to 6 feet. Hard to get a good dance with that much height difference :(. I guess the good thing for both of us is that because events like the NYC congress have such a large number of good dancers, their is no shortage of people that fall into our ideal height range.