Salsa > NYC Congress (8/31-9/3) -who's going?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by africana, Aug 1, 2006.

1. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Thanks for the pic Kiwi. I'll be on the lookout for you and Africana. What are your real names btw, if you don't mind?

2. africana

africana New Member

lol see? tall followers get the short end of things (haha good pun there :) ) thanks kiwi. I'm 5'10 (almost 6 with heels though)
    --must say I've danced with a ton of short leads, had to learn to do it cos that's what I'm surrounded by ;) dancing with very tall guys is sometimes actually challenging as a result (too much strength....?)

@yippe, let's save the intro for the real meeting? :) looking forward to it!

3. africana

africana New Member

OMG do not miss Yamulee if you want hardcore salsa on a friday night! I went all the way from Brooklyn, and it was worth it :D dancing till 4am whew! jealous...

in Jersey city? Is that on a saturday? could be Mario B's social or i might have my locations mixed up

4. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

OK Africana.

Yup, just looked up my source of info (salsanewyork.com), and yes, the other social I was thinking of in Jersey City was Mario B's. It too sounds good. Have you ever been?

Yeah, I'll def have to check out Yamulee and Mario B's sometime. Maybe I can entice my salsa friends to go, although I'm guessing not many will come. In fact, just the other night I tried to get some of them to come up to The River Room in Harlem, and you'd think I asked them to go to Boise, Idaho or something. Only one person showed, even though about 25 people said they might come.

5. alemana

alemana New Member

i've been to mario's. we drove - i don't think it's accessible by public transpo.

when i took Africana up to the Yamulee social during her last visit to NYC, i myself had never even been there - and i've been dancing three years, fairly seriously. i would definitely go again on any night where it promised to be the main event of the evening, even though getting home late was a pretty serious headache.

there is a definite divide in the NY scene between the uptown crowd and the rest of us. brooklynites will always go to Manhattan to dance - i myself can find somewhere good to dance below 50th street almost every night of the week, every day of the month - but brooklynites and many manhattanites won't necessarily go to the bronx or jersey, especially if they don't have a car (which I don't.) it's just not practical and in some cases downright impossible.

plus, not necessary, strictly speaking.

however, having been to Y, i definitely added it to my "who cares about the logistics, it's worth it" list.

my salsera friend has a car, however, and that's what got me to mario's. it's a very homey spot - feels like a dance in someone's garage - and since it's remote, attracted pretty exclusively the hardcore dancer crowd when i was there. no tourists.

6. africana

africana New Member

oh I'm sure Mario B's must be quite good because the other conflicting social (Claudia mambo2chacha?) I went to that saturday was virtually empty of high-caliber dancers.

7. alemana

alemana New Member

but the Mario's social, regardless of the promise of quality, is out of bounds for anyone without access to a car - which is a lot of us. so if those are my 2 choices that night.... and i don't have wheels... i'll have to be at claudine's. actually one of my best dancing nights ever in 3 years was at a social of hers - full of v good leaders that particular night, many of whom asked me to dance for the first time (always a milestone.) so ya never know. we learn to guess, of course, but sometimes it's a crap shoot!

i kinda like that, actually. if it were totally predictable, it would get routine for me very quickly, and that would be sad.

8. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Alemana... I just checked further on salsanewyork.com. For Mario B's it says you take the PATH to Hoboken, and then a $4 car service. For Yamulee's, it mentions something about a "new location" in Mount Eden or something?, and that it's a one block walk from I think the D train....

I really like checking out places that aren't on everybody else's radar, and I esp. like the sound of Mario B's... being in a storefront.. and what was it you said... it felt like being in someone's living room? I love stuff like that!

9. alemana

alemana New Member

yamulee isn't remote from public transpo - it's just a loooong train ride and not a savory one. but i did it, and would do it again.

10. KiwiMambo

KiwiMambo New Member

My first name is Robert. I'm an Asian-New Zealander living in California that does Latin dancing on2 in an on1 city :)

11. KiwiMambo

KiwiMambo New Member

Do you think that would be a good event for a leader to attend ie were there good follows there?

I went to NYC a few times last year and normally did Jimmy's then Flamingo's on Monday. But Flamingo's has closed so it is hard to justify the expense of a trip just to go to Jimmy's for the weekend. Which reminds me, one time I was at Flamingo's and the best dancers must have turned up that night. By 11am, I would say about 90% of the dancers were significantly better than me. I stopped dancing because I felt like a beginner. That night was the best dancing I have ever seen anywhere.

12. africana

africana New Member

I just got reminded again about an issue that perturbs me about these so-called "super-advanced" male dancers - and it's usually men that trained at a certain famous NY dance school: WHY ARE THEY SO ROUGH!?!! ugh!
    I remember a friend telling me that this was the prevalent "NY style", i didn't buy that. I seek out gentlemen instead (or at least beg fo "mercy" lol!)

But these rough supastas - they do have a captivating bold aggressive style, the attitude, the amazing footwork, upper body movements, the afro cuban shines, but taking a look at the followers that dance with them: they're almost off balance, off-beat, rushed, hunched shoulders, struggling to cover huge spaces, not dancing....gah! myself, I feel out of control dancing with these guys, love to watch them, but dancing with them feels dangerous! Unless I ask for a lighter lead, and even then :rolleyes:
    No wonder they do better with the petite little girls. That way if they fall they can be caught, nobody gets hurt haha
    I have to admit that I had a great a time tonight laughing at the expression of some girls as they experienced "the blender" for the first time :lol: :lol:

They do look gooood but treating women that is not "super-advanced" in my book!

"all that glitters is not gold"

13. KiwiMambo

KiwiMambo New Member

I know what school you are talking about too. We'll be nice and won't mention the name here. They are rough because the director of that company is rough. I was on the carpet walking around at the NJ congress and he lost balance from one his rough spins and came off the dance floor and knocked into me. Then he gave me that "What the F..." look as if it were my fault. I heard a rumor that they have broken the arms of some girls on their dance team. Don't know if it is true though. My instructor in San Diego absolutely loves dancing with New Yorkers but refuses to dance with anyone from that dance company. As to why girls dance with them, I have no idea. Maybe they are attracted to that bad boy image.

14. KiwiMambo

KiwiMambo New Member

While we are on the subject of rough. One of the instructors at the DC congress told the class that "sometimes you have to piss the woman off and be a little rough, they like that". He is the type of dancer that doesn't dance, he just spins the crap out of a girl followed by the next "cool" arm knot from hell.

I am the opposite to that. I prefer giving a smooth light lead.

So do any of you girls really like that rough bad boy lead?

15. africana

africana New Member

sure everyone loves a bad boy :p
    Ok seriously, there's just something about a confident self-possessing person, male or female, that extra flair that draws your attention, can't help it 8) And it has nothing to do with being the perfect lead or perfect dancer (that's prob why it's easy to become so delusional about how great one is :rolleyes: )

And being the sucker that I am, I have to try everything at least once LOL (yes I have danced with all the principal dancers, just for kicks, and with many requests to "tone it down" haha but man...geez). The control over the follower's body is just too abrupt, the ugly result is my anticipation habits flare up full-force. self-preservation? I guess the NY ladies adapt and are great at following that stuff . personally I *need* to dance as well as follow

Anyway this is the sort of thing that attracts attn on the carpet at congresses, and draws admiration from other male spectators who egg them on (in case anyone wondered what that had to do with the thread lol!)

tonight I told this one i would only dance with him if he promised not to get too "excited" LOL i cannot cannot take it

16. jenibelle

jenibelle New Member

So...how can I find out what dance school you guys are talking about so it confirms with my suspicions..? LOL! Anyway, I think there is nothing wrong with a bit of a 'bad boy' lead but there is NO way people have to be rough...you can be a bad boy without being rough. You just have to be firm...the best type of lead is one where the follow doesn't have to think too hard, or be ready to fight for her life during a pattern...

Could this explain why, whenever you see a big crowd gathered to ogle at a pair of dancers, the guy almost always outshines the girl?

Jeni

17. africana

africana New Member

Oh yeah that's usually a factor. main problem is overusing their physical strength

exactly!

18. lasalas

lasalas New Member

voy a ir... can't wait

19. Legato Bluesummers

Legato Bluesummers New Member

Check your PM, Kiwi...

20. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

how mean of you guys! AHHH... Oooh...

It's so sad to see a girl dance on survival mode. I actually think this is the very reason girls are taught to tie their hair in a pony tail. Imagine if the didn't and got a hold of a rough lead. A bad hair day turned into nightmare, Eistien would look like the pinacle of great hair.

I love the way my lady love deals with rough lead. Months after she's danced with them, they still appologize. Her technique, brutal honesty.