Salsa > NYC Congress (8/31-9/3) -who's going?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by africana, Aug 1, 2006.

1. africana

africana New Member

It's true, the women need to speak up so that these guys don't remain so oblivious

Funny thing though, this latest dude tried to convince me that this was "NY style", that men who don't lead that way are still beginners, stil newcomers :lol: He kept saying that all the woman needs to do is keep her basic, forget any styling or self-movement, and bascially give her body over to the lead completely. Mhmm, if she's a puppet lol!

shoulda told him that he would have better luck dancing with a cape like in paso doble ahaha

2. Vin

Vin New Member

Still got to get my ticket but I'm going to be there . . .

3. genEus

genEus New Member

Why would anyone in their right mind ever say that? I hope he was joking.

4. africana

africana New Member

Well sure, removes all risk of anticipation or interruption on the follower's part. if her mind is completely blank, she will not interrupt the lead's flow, and he can effectively dance her without having to dance -with- her, plus he gets to style and flash all he wants

btw Kiwi, I have an idea who that DC instructor is, and truly it was awful to watch what he was doing to his dance partner (yes, his regular teaching partner) when I saw them at DC congress. I had wanted to dance with him before that, what I saw turned me off.

5. alemana

alemana New Member

there are absolutely no women in new york who do not style. we are obsessed with it - many women start taking styling classes right away as almost absolute beginners.

that guy was talking some serious wish-fulfillment perhaps, but nothing based in reality.

6. africana

africana New Member

yeah although those styling concepts are done in exactly a certain way, a certain time, as dictated...I think he was just annoyed at not being able to do 'as usual' in a different environment. To his credit he did tone it down eventually, after many complaints lol, specially with the beginners who barely dance on2

7. Big10

Big10 Member

I don't understand why there should be such secrecy about whatever dance school this is. :? If those dancers are truly as potentially dangerous as some of the posts indicate, then I'd think the people "in the know" would want to protect other potential innocent victims. You'd be doing everyone a favor -- the "victims" as well as making the school itself aware that it needs to improve certain aspects of its teaching.

I'm assuming you guys are talking about Santo Rico, unless somebody will tell me that I'm wrong. They are absolutely awesome performers, but I've also heard that a couple of the guys can be rough when social dancing.

8. africana

africana New Member

ahha, so are you coming to NY big10?

9. Big10

Big10 Member

No, unfortunately, I'm not nearly good enough On2 to make it worth my while. :(

I still haven't been to an actual "congress" outside the State of Texas -- but I'm hoping to correct that problem by visiting either the West Coast Congress or the Atlanta Congress within the next year (based on the belief that I'll find plenty of On1 dancers at either place).

10. KiwiMambo

KiwiMambo New Member

Agree, so don't be shy girls. Lighter smoother leads would produce lighter smoother follows and I am all for that!. In my experience girls on teams with rough leads are rough follows and vice versa. I'm fortunate to have been able to do privates with a follow who would be on my case if I had any excessive roughness or tension. But if a guy doesn't do regular privates how does he to know he is too rough? Someone has to tell him. My dance partner was telling me that most guys she dances with locally are on the rough side. That was suprising to me.

Now a question for the ladies. If you have rod iron arms or give me that death grip, would you be offended if a lead politely mentioned that? Right now, I don't say anything unless they are "friends".

11. OneCentSalsero

OneCentSalsero New Member

Ill go to Saturday Night.

12. Mario B.

Mario B. New Member

Hello all,

Just want to say that all of these threads R very interesting & I would like 2 THANK most of U 4 concidering 2 attend my social next Saturday night.

Ah I almost 4got, 2 all of the feamle dancers on this post... PLEASE SAVE ME A DANCE! THANK U in advance 4 all of your time & PLEASE have a safe jouney to NYC.

PS. I won't say anything about that "ROUGH" dance school in NYC!

Mario B.

13. Istel

Istel New Member

Eh... Can someone kindly pm me the school that's in the question since no one wants to talk about it openly?

Also, is it the only school in NY that teaches that you should spin the girls on 1 and you do all crossbody led movements on the 3 for ET2?

14. alemana

alemana New Member

i assume we are talking about santo rico.

15. africana

africana New Member

I'll use ppl as examples but hate calling them out by name on negatives if i know them & they know me - hypocritical? maybe
    Also who is to blame when a student or former colleague or admirer chooses to emulate a certain dance culture?? the teacher? or the full-grown adult who chose to carry on that "tradition"? What if the originator changes?
    questions...

Kiwi, I definitely want to know when I have arms of steel LOL I can't believe how long I danced before someone actually said something! (~2-3 years) it changed my world. But it was friends that told me so....

cool Vin, OneCent, 2 more weeks!

16. DCR

DCR Member

HI Africana Pleazzzzzzzzzzzz save me un baile. Take care and stay tuned.

17. jenibelle

jenibelle New Member

Whaaaat? I didn't think we were talking about Santo Rico...I have only danced with two of them and they were both fabulous. I haven't danced with any of the others though, so if they were rough then lucky me, I missed out on those dances, lol!

I thought we were talking about Vitico and his people.

Also, I don't think there is anything wrong with saying names...I mean no offense against the people I say are rough...it doesn't at ALL mean they are bad people, they are just rough leads! And this is in my humble opinion only, so they can feel free to discount that opinion if they like.

Jeni

18. jenibelle

jenibelle New Member

""Now a question for the ladies. If you have rod iron arms or give me that death grip, would you be offended if a lead politely mentioned that? Right now, I don't say anything unless they are "friends".""

In a perfect world, I would say Go for it! But I know so many people that don't take very well to criticism that only go for it if you think the lady would be receptive to it, or if she is really cutting off your circulation...

19. KiwiMambo

KiwiMambo New Member

My observation is that starting the spin on the 1 is the norm in New York. I asked my instructor who is from New York - "Spin on 1 or 2?". He said technically it should be on 2 and that was the way it was. Then teams like Santo Rico started spinning on the 1 so they could fit in an extra spin for performances. This caught on and became the norm. Some of the advanced New Yorkers will pull out 5 spins on beats 1,2,3,4,5. Pretty impressive to watch.

My other instructor from San Diego prefers a double to be on 2,3. Triple or more starts on 1. She likes the double on 2,3 because that is on clave.

Perhaps the New Yorkers here can enlighten us more on how they do it.

As for the CBL on 3, I've never heard of that one. 1 opens that track for her to step across on 2. If you led it on 3, her inside turns would be off time. The turn on a CBL inside turn has to be on 2& (2-and): the follow has committed her weight on the left foot on 2. Before she commits her weight with her right foot on 3 you spin her. Taking advantage of weight transfer makes her light.

20. africana

africana New Member

Yes it's the incompatible weight transfers that adds to that rough feeling. That's what I mean by "abrupt" starts/stops. if I'm releasing my full weight in one foot, having committed, it's gonna be hard to quickly move me, which means the leader might apply even more force...
    Probably some of this stems from the amount of pause between steps, that too can be incompatible
    but the roughness has nothing to do with the # or speed of spins, spins are nothing :cool:

lol jeni, I've felt the vitico experience too, but some of them are also good at toning it down when asked. And not all SR are rough, but the tradition seems to spawn many followers (or should i say copycat leaders? ;)), so it's not about the actual school anymore