Ballroom Dance > O2cm banned from NDCA events?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancelvr, Jul 28, 2014.

1. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Posted on Facebook this morning........

Mark Tabor

The NDCA has, in its most recent meeting, decided to ban O2CM from use at its sanctioned events.

They did this without including the motion in its published agenda, thus not allowing it's member bodies to poll their individual members. They presented false and/or misconstrued information indicating that the software was faulty. Keep in mind there is a ten year public log of results posted on the O2CM website.

This action dictates to organizers how they may run their event WRT online registration, financial tracking, electronic marking system (not available on any other US software) and instant online presentation of event status, schedules and posted results. (Also not available elsewhere)

If you are a competitor who appreciates the features provided by O2CM or an organizer who wishes to run their event with the software of their choice and feel this action needs to be correctly addressed, please contact the NDCA, PDF, NADOA, ISTD, Terpsichore, DIVIDA or any other member body you are part of and insist they take action.

Thanks

2. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

What a shame. I doubt the software is perfect, but the more it is used, the faster all of the bugs will be squished. It's definitely less error-prone than manually entering judges marks.

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

The letter the NDCA sent out read as follows "The competition manager software known as o2CM is not to be used at this time for NDCA sanctioned events."

And there are 2 specific reasons that this notice was sent out.

1 - the lack of hard copy records of judge's marks, signed by the judges themselves.
    ..... As stated in the rule book, "Organizers are required to retain the original judges' score sheets for a period of thirty (30) days following the close of the event, in the event of a discrepancy in the scrutineers final markings."

2 - the Ballroom Department cannot access information from the electronic files associated with this software.
    .....All championships are required by the rule book to submit their electronic scrutineering files to the Ballroom Director within ten days of their event.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    danceronice and MaggieMoves like this.
  4. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, do you (or anyone else) know if there's been any real progress on that? I understand that o2cm can be kind of kludgy for pro-am, but as a competitor, compmngr does not seem like the best of all possible software packages.

5. Akita

Akita Well-Known Member

compmngr is light-years behind O2CM. It's almost comical to compare the two packages.

SwayWithMe and dancelvr like this.
  6. Larinda McRaven

Yes, I think that is a given. That is why NDCA has been developing a new system. It is called Premiere and everyone was invited a year ago to a free workshop to see it as it is being built.... I was unable to attend so I cannot speak knowledgeably about it.

7. caw

caw Active Member

Next week: "NDCA to test out new Intercontinental Ballistic Missle program!"

Hearing the news about the NDCA on danceforums kind of reminds me of hearing news of North Korea on NPR.

dbk and Bailamosdance like this.
  8. Larinda McRaven

You'll have to expound. The joke is over my head.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  9. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

An electronic signature is just as valid as a hand signed one. Both of these comments seem like BS to me.

10. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Is Premiere going to be sold to competitions?

11. Larinda McRaven

@MaggieMoves So you are saying that o2cm allows judges to sign their marks, digitally?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  12. caw

caw Active Member

The NDCA seems like a crazy place right now, and I'm not sure whether to be appalled or to laugh, so I'm doing both, kind of like all the news about north korea last year

jerseydancer and Bailamosdance like this.
  13. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Just wondering if these two items have always been a problem, or if these are new problems for NDCA?

Bailamosdance likes this.
  14. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Do they specify one or more acceptable file formats ? If not, they should.

15. Larinda McRaven

yes, it specifies ...cmpmgr...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  16. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

If compmngr has it's own file format, they would need to specify what it is... for example, xml conforming to some xml schema or DTD, csv indicating what the fields are etc.

17. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I had spoken with Mark long ago about both of these things being put into effect. Assuming that they were not (or there would be no problem), do you know why?
    The O2CM has been a great program (yes, not perfect) for years. It does seem as the NDCA is just trying to withdraw from everything and develop or become its own self contained/self sustained entity, non?

dancelvr likes this.
  18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You're kidding--right?--in expecting a group of career dance professionals to be that specific.

19. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I did my master's work on electronic voting (shortly before "hanging chad" became a thing).

Paper trails have a place in the world. Electronic records also have a place. They are not the same, and some of the differences are important.

20. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

It isn't too much to ask from ANY group, if they desire uniformity.