Ballroom Dance > O2cm banned from NDCA events?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancelvr, Jul 28, 2014.

1. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Try a visit to their website, they accommodatingly remove the need to visit YouTube.

Joe likes this.
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Mark asked me to post this here (any errors are his):

3. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

Maybe NDCA should ban all competitors with swarovski on their costumes, because swarovski is a partner with wdsf in grand slam.

Borazine, Mr 4 styles, stash and 2 others like this.
  4. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Any org that makes decisions not based on the betterment of dancers is wrongheaded. BOTH orgs

Loki, nate, SDsalsaguy and 2 others like this.
  5. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, ya gotta pick one (or both) if you want to compete.

Random: what would it take to set up a local "outlaw" comp? But who would be willing to be a judge? Some ppl have mentioned unsanctioned comps, but I've never seen one.

6. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

You mean like collegiate? Most aren't associated with any organizations at all, so they're fairly free to do what they want.

Sania and stash like this.
  7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Ah. No experience with collegiate. Have to spectate sometime. Where do the judges, invigilators, etc come from?

8. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same place they come from for NDCA and USADance. Those people aren't employees of NDCA they're independent contractors certified through it. Since the comp is not affiliated with an organization, NDCA doesn't care what they're doing.

9. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

http://ndca.org/rules-and-results/ndca-rule-book/#TOC3_6

10. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

fiscally unlikely but not a bad idea at all

12. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Also could just result in the NDCA changing the rule to require competitions run by educational institutions to apply for an exception to the rule instead of automatically being granted one. Few enough people understand the NDCA rule book (some people involved with the Midwest collegiate scene liked talking about what it said without ever cracking open a free digital copy), that there wouldn't be a severe loss of entitlement risk.

13. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I've looked at this thread and I admit to complete ignorance when it comes to O2CM, compmngr etc. I have noticed that over the last year or so- it is increasingly difficult to actually get your scoresheets from a comp and look at your results. The entire format has changed. I used to be able to click on my name- in a format similar to heatlists- and look at my scores in each of my heats. Now, it is a very confusing, convoluted effort of looking at each category and multiple subdivisions- which I simply do not have time to do. My question is- why are more comps not on the DanceComp App? And my second question is- why does the Dance Comp App have so many glitches and mistakes?

14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

O2CM still does that - I was looking at heatlists and marks today going back to 2011 in some cases, but they were all USAD.

15. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I only do pro am. I don't know anything about USA dance. I just feel after spending so many $$ on comps, I should at least be able to view my score sheets easily. Isn't it time the dance industry followed the rest of the world of business and become more tech savvy?

Sania likes this.
  16. rels77

rels77 Active Member

The "new" way of seeing the scores online is actually using premier- the NDCA program. I find it a bigger pain in the neck to view scores than compmngr as well.

And more people don't use the the DanceComp app because- like you said, it's buggy. Less people are using it over time, not more. That's usually a sign that it's not quite working the way they thought it should or it costs too much to see the value

17. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I can remember speaking with someone that is high up in the Pro-Am about this and it seemed that there was this feeling that many competition organizers and even dance studios prefer to keep their records more private. Another weak point that you did not mention is that it is also very difficult to see what happened in previous years. Most Pro Am competitions scrub their website of the previous year. I know this because there were many old threads here on Dance forms that linked to places on the conversation websites that were removed.

18. snapdancer

That reminds me of a conversation I had with this lady who has since passed on. A sweet lady but not a very good dancer. She started taking lessons from a pro and entered competitions with him. She told me that she placed first and owed it all to her instructor. I hadn't noticed any real improvement in her dancing, so I went to the online records to look up her results. Sure enough, she was in an uncontested competition and she didn't realize it. All she knew was that she was on the floor with a half-dozen other women and the judges awarded her first place. I didn't take it on myself to educate her, leaving her happy in her delusion.

Bailamosdance and Loki like this.
  19. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Huh. And I've been thinking the people that yammer on FaceBook about their (uncontested) firsts are a bunch of gas bags. Perhaps they're just confused.

20. snapdancer

There's a local pro who takes several ladies to competitions. When he gets back, he brags about how many firsts, seconds, and thirds his ladies got. When you go online and look at the results, his ladies actually placed last in most of them. A first place in an uncontested heat is also a last place.