Tango Argentino > Obama Tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by DanceMentor, Mar 24, 2016.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

So I know they could use a little more training but it's good to see they got up and Danced. I think Michelle did a little better. What are you thinking?

2. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

This should go in Ballroom section.

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Only the first few bars. Michelle was doing lead and follow. Props to the First Couple

Bailamosdance likes this.
  4. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

The Obamas were dancing with a professional couple that had just finished a demonstration. My critique of their performance:

Barack: Could definitely use some lessons, but as leader of a first-world country wouldn't have time for that. As a newbie lead with a professional follow, not half bad.

Michelle: Probably hasn't had lessons either. She was doing fairly well, about what I'd expect from a newbie follow dancing with a professional leader.

But put Barack and Michelle together, I would expect a train wreck.

Mladenac and stash like this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

They did much better than most first timers that's for sure. Who knows once he's out of office they might take it up

Looks like she tried to invite him with mirada and he's all. What...who...me...???

Then she invites him ballroom style. Lol.

6. Mr 4 styles

Doesn't help they were playing the true lies version of por una cabeza Barack tried to channel Arnold at the beginning. She fixed that lol

7. snapdancer

I wish the camera had included more of Michelle dancing. From the few seconds she was in the field of view, it appeared that the pro was doing what a more experienced lead should do with a newbie follow. He spent some time with some simple movements from foot to foot to get her used to the idea and his lead before leading something a bit more complicated.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  8. stash

stash Well-Known Member

He did look like he was man handling her a bit.

9. snapdancer

If the "he" is Obama, I agree.

stash likes this.
  10. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I don't think he wanted any part of it, but he couldn't figure how to decline gracefully once she walked up to him.

[​IMG]

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  11. Mr 4 styles

For sure but mad props for getting up and doing it

12. Wonder how Trump and Hillary would do. Although they might be a better pairing at the next UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship).

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  13. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I don't know... I assume the couple they danced with do Argentine Style, and of course it was in Argentina. But maybe it shows a little about what people "assume" tango would be.

14. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

"We're going to need you to dance tango with the President of the United States."
    "Wow! Ok, what an honor."
    "It's going to be recorded and televised across Argentina, so you have to do honor to our national heritage."
    "That's...that's kind of a lot of pressure, but I'm a professional instructor, so I think I can do it."
    "You'll be dancing to True Lies' Por Una Cabeza."
    "Wait a second..."
    "He won't be expecting it and has had no lessons. His only exposure to tango is through Dancing With the Stars and Scent of a Woman."
    "I don't know about this."
    "Also all of America will see this, so he can't look dumb. If he looks dumb, the CIA may kill you in your sleep."
    "...I don't want to do this."

Krys, Mladenac, Steve Pastor and 4 others like this.
  15. Mr 4 styles

She was epically professional. A tribute to her art and her people

snapdancer likes this.
  16. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

Yeah, because he hasn't been able to find time for a vacation yet.
    And it's not like there's a ballroom in the White House, either...or anyone on staff who could handle these things...or a department which includes as one of its primary functions, ensuring that our high ranking officials know how to get through formal occasions with foreign dignitaries.

17. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

He COULDN'T decline. This was a state dinner and it would have been rude to his hosts to decline. Diplomacy outweighed his reluctance to dance.

18. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I will say that I know some people in Argentina, who are bashing Mora Godoy (the woman Obama danced with) quite a bit. She is considered by some (depending on who you talk to), to be a stage, show, or, "Dancing With The Stars" type of dancer, who gets criticized for not maintaining the traditions of Tango.

Some comments:
    "grabbing the president of the USA and making him do the Valentino thing in front of the whole world's news... she, for sure, knows better".

"The only thing I get from what I saw, is that her only motive was to get the picture taken of her leg wrapping Obama. Too selfish, too vulgar and too sad... that is NOT Tango".

"I don't think anyone is angry with Obama. They are frustrated that we let Mora Godoy do this. Not someone better or something more authentic".

"They put this woman on a pedestal, in the media, in the theatres, on the 9th of July, as our representative, as a great tango dancer. We just won't stop [crapping] on our legacy".

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

ouch

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I thought he did well for not knowing anything. He held on and let her back lead.

raindance, Mr 4 styles and RiseNFall like this.