Tango Argentino > Videos > oddity

Discussion in 'Videos' started by bordertangoman, May 27, 2007.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

2. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Looks to me like the partner dance parts are based on ballroom tango and the solo parts on ballet. I think I saw the woman's left hand in ballroom tango hold. And the music is certainly something I would ballroom tango to.

3. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

The credits didn't say what the music is. Anyone know?

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

The music is some song by Gotan Project, so, meant for AT originally. With a bit of research I can figure out what it is--I want to pick that one up anyway.

Waltz-tango-foxtrot was that??? Solo ballet, check. Actual AT steps and whatnot, check. But a ballroom hold if I've ever seen one, even when they were trying for close embrace--ick.

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i think they were just doing their own sorta thing. didn't look ballroomy to me at all...

6. Peaches

The song is "Una Musica Brutal" by Gotan Project, from the album La Revancha del Tango.

The hold isn't a true ballroom hold, I'll grant that. But I'd put money on their being ballroom dancers first, then having learned AT. The big, wide frame is ballroom-ish, her left elbow and hand, the tension in her back, the way that even in "close" embrace they're still separated...the big frame...did I mention the frame?

It's just what i've generally seen when ballroom dancers try AT--they can get the steps, but the look and feel is just off.

(Watch, it's actually some well known and well respected AT pair, lol.)

7. bordertangoman

I reckon they must be professional ballet dancers.

8. Peaches

I take it there are other ballet parts throughout? I only saw the couple in the beginning--then I got bored and stopped watching.

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that's my take...

10. bordertangoman

I checked the credits and they are described as 'ballarini" but I checked the translation and it just means dancer. But his pirrhouettes are a bit of a give away

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

exactly.

inspiring, though. sure would love that balance...

12. bastet

bastet Active Member

Exactly so- It amazing how absolutely graceless someone can look if you take them out of their element. I thought his pirouettes were nice and she could sure do the splits standing on one leg which also gives the ballet away...but lordie! the footwork that was supposed to be Tango was awful!

I wonder if they learned it form a video???:mrgreen:

13. Peaches

*snort*

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You can see footwork?

15. Peaches

Can't watch it now...I think I remember a bit of footwork being shown...dunno.

I got held up on the "close embrace" through which you could see daylight. At least pretend to like each other and be OK with dancing together!

16. bordertangoman

Well I've seen far worse footwork on milonga floors.

17. bastet

bastet Active Member

Perhpas "technique" were be a more appropriate word. I mean, if you look at the difference in carriage and form when she stading around doing the spilts in the air she has nice control, and it shows that that is where her training lies. Versus the awful clomping of the feet when she is trying to do something that looks like it wants to be a molinete. No control...not in her element..and don't get me started on the horrid ballroom style arms they have.

I think what irritates me is that people don't give art forms their proper respect and respevt to the people who spend their lives specializing in that art form. It would be just as stupid for me to go try to do a video with ballet in it, not being a ballet dancer, and think that what I wold turn out would look fabu. Heck, even my Tango would probably make a cat laugh and I certainly wouldn't even consider posting a video.

This is just eating at me a little because now I am having to deal with the unfortunate event that a person I know who is a ballroom instructor, has "learned" AT from a video and wants to teach it..never even been to a milonga or even had classes with some masters...I am completely bewildered. It leaved me feeling the same as when I see this video.

As for bad footwork at milongas- sure you see bad footwork at milongas...but at least the people aren't pretending they are some sort of tango pro.

18. Peaches

Agree 100% There's a guy out here where I am (middle-o-nowhere) who's run a "club tango" class. I saw a video of the recap of the class...this guy is very obviously not an AT dancer. Sooo obviously not. And, yet, he's teaching and selling it like he's got a clue. Makes me so angry.

19. jhpark

jhpark Member

you know, i consider myself lucky to have gotten a good tango teacher. i mean, when you're first starting out and have no clue what the real dance is, how are you to know if you happen to snag one of the clueless ones? it's a wonder more people don't get caught up in fakes

20. bastet

bastet Active Member

this is entirely true. it is so easy for someone to be taken in, and I even apply this to "real" tango teachers, being from Argentina and knowing some Tango does NOT a tango teacher make, yet I see this also happening.

IMO- it takes a special skillset to be a teacher, and I don't even mean that a person has to know tons of stuff to be a good teacher, but some people have an innate knowledge of HOW bodies and dances function, and I think those people tend to make good teachers (as long as they have taken the time to actually LEARN the underlying structure and principles of a dance).

This friend I know falls in to the category of very good teacher, but the ballroom students trust that just becasue this person is good at teaching ballroom and other dances that "obey" ballroom structures and rules, that they'll do just fine teaching Tango. This is partlly this ballroom persons student's own ignorance that tango is "just another dance" and if they learn some steps and HEYLA! they are super AT dancers! I have assured this friend this is NOT the case when asked about the underlying structure of AT and they are usually pretty ethical (at least I thought so!) and so I hope they do the right thing.