Dancers Anonymous > Off-The-Wall

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cocodrilo, Jun 29, 2005.

1. FTL

FTL New Member

Is Canadian beef still banned in U.S.? I saw a Canadian documentary film which in essence protrays the Canadian government has not done enough in preventing the spread of BSE. The practice of using bovine parts in animmal feed is still ongoing. The Canadian farmers are blaming the government for not being able to restore the world's confidence in Canadian beef. To cover for the farmers losses Canadian gov't is subsidizing them for being unable to sell their beef products.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. I'm still looking for hits on the Canadian beef question, FTL. I'm not sure.

It looks like the Japanese/US bans have some political issues involved, not just public health ones. There's a new article in Forbes online which explains a little. I guess the US is about ready to lift the ban on imports of Kobe beef. Isn't it an interesting coincidence that the Japanese are about ready to lift their ban in the same timeframe? :wink:

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2005/12/09/afx2382593.html

3. pygmalion

Hmm. It looks like the ban may be still in place. The latest I could find were some CBC links from 2003, the year the ban was imposed, and an interesting audio link to an NPR Story -- apparently it's alleged that the ban wasn't consistently applied on the US end.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1904249

4. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Never was the person to study the Bible. My bad. Might be hidden gems in there. :D

Twilight Elena

5. pygmalion

Whatever you like's fine. :cool: It's like me and the Qur'an. I'm not Muslim. Never read much of the Qur'an -- other than a few excerpts in a college class many moons ago. But I figure, that book contains enough guiding principles to be a galvanizing force in the lives of millions (or is it billions? ) of people. There must be something good there. :wink: :)

6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Can't say I've ever read the bible myself. Much prefer reality.

7. diputs

diputs New Member

Why would Japan want US beef?

After eating really good beef in Spain, I have not eaten much meet here in the US. Red meat here in the US, gives me digestive problems. The meat from Spain did not.

Does anyone know what they feed their cows in spain that changes the way they taste?

8. pygmalion

Understood. :cool:

My take? I try not to diss other people's belief systems, unless I at least know something about them. :cool: Actually, I try not to diss other people's belief systems at all. :)

9. pygmalion

I think the concern with the Japanese may be cost. Yep. Since I moved to Texas, I've been exposed to seriously good quality beef. But wow! Even here, where it's plentiful, the high quality angus beef prices are incredibly high. So maybe the Japanese are just looking to increase their overall supply of beef, in order to bring the price down a little. :)

No idea what they feed the cows in Spain, though. I don't remember having had beef there, at all. It's been a while, though. I might've forgotten. :?

10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Because Japan is a BIG nation of beef lovers, and "wa-gyu", Japanese beef, is expensive. Japan just doesn't have the space as in the US for cattle farming, so they rely on imports.

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

much fiction is very real and very true....and many stories regardless of whether or not they literallly happened...are very true...take for instance..."the giving tree".....the tree gave and gave and it was always happy...and the boy took and took and he never was.....is it factual? No.... is it truthful...and real ? I think so....IMO most sacred texts while they may have some debatable factual problems in many eyes, tend to also have much wisdom

12. pygmalion

Oh my goodness! MSNBC actually has a web page called "News of the Weird." There are some truly off-the-wall stories there, let me tell ya. :lol:

How about this one? Assault with cheez whiz or whatever that stuff is called. Too weird. :lol:

13. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I always said that cheezy stuff was dangerous.

14. pygmalion

:lol: I never realized just how dangerous it could be.

15. Medira

Medira New Member

I love News of the Weird. It's a great read at times when things are slow at work. :) Too bad they only update once a week.

16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

There was a story I read about years ago that I will never forget. It was about a Cambodian woman who killed her husband with a dead squirrel. The article went on to read that the couple had been having an argument in the kitchen, when the wife took out a frozen squirrel (apparently they are delicious!) and conked hubby over the head with it, killing him instantly.

17. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Now that is truly off the wall... :lol::lol::lol:

Rosa :)

18. pygmalion

:lol: I never have understood why men start arguments in the kitchen. Don't they know they're surrounded by potentially deadly weapons with which their wives have years of experience? :lol:

19. fascination

a neighbor once shot a squirrel and gave it to us to eat(EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW) and needless to day it stayed in the freezer for AGES....and I will tell you right now, if my mom had thought about it, she could have definately flung that thing hard enough at my dad to kill him

20. fascination

I'm deadly in any room....there's always stuff to throw:rolleyes: