Swing Discussion Boards > Official State Dance???

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

2. d nice

d nice New Member

In general I wouldn't necessarily believe something just because it is on streetswing.com. In this case though it is true. Swing (WCS) is the state dance.

3. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

I think our new Governor, Arnold, may be inclined to let us change the state dance to Viennese Waltz ;-)

4. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Hmmm a State dance that half the masses don't know what it is. Very curious how that was done. I find myself explaining to people what West Coast Swing dancing is. Occasionally, when we are out dancing locally at a nightclub and people come up to us after the dance is over and say. "Wow, you guys are great! What kind of dance are you doing?" Now we can tell them, "It's the State Dance." :D

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Because of its origin???

6. d nice

d nice New Member

Sonny doesn't really put as much research into the non WCS areas. Some of it is woefully incorrect, and some of it is nothing but opinion presented as fact. His WCS info though tends to be pretty spot on.

This of course is to be expected he is a WCS dancer and his site is extremely broad in scope.

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I understand . . I would have suspected that the WCS was his primary dance of choice???

8. jon

jon Member

Bcause a special interest group complained enough to get state legislators to do it. Same as for most of the other state symbols. These designations serve no purpose other than pacifying small vocal groups and wasting taxpayer money.

One of the silliest is the coordinated multiyear campaign by Modern Western Square Dancers leading to "square dancing" (defined extremely vaguely) being recognized as the "state folk dance" of many US states.

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks jon . . . so that's where all my tax $$$ are going???

10. jon

jon Member

Well, that and making up for Prop. 13 :)

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

It's always been Proposition 13 . . .

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. Florida doesn't have a state dance listed. I wonder what other states do?

13. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

I didn't know states had official dances. Learn something new every day

14. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I think it is sort of like snack foods... some states have official ones (yes, its true! :shock:) while others do not. Same with official state dances...

15. wedance

wedance New Member

South Carolina has a state dance, The Shag

16. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome wedance! For a moment I was wondering what was going on :? and then read the subject line. If we talk of swing I've often heard of the Carolina Shag, so I guess it fits for South Carolina's State dance. I'm correct, I hope! Am I? That is shag is a regional swing dance?

What sort of dances are you into? Social/Competitive dancing?

17. Sagitta

Texas: Two-Step or Texas Two-Step

Maryland: Modern Western Square Dancing

Wisconsin: Polka

Pennyslvannia State Dance: They can't decide!! :shock: :) To polka or square dance in Pa? says the headlines!

18. wedance

wedance New Member

What I Dance

I'm a social dancer. WCS, Shag, Hustle, Cha-Cha are my favorites.

I also Co-Direct a weekend event every year in Gatlinburg, TN for 800 dancers.

How about you?

19. Sagitta

TN / GA?

I'm a social dancer too, though I'm considering joining the university team where I am as I sometimes feel I'm not progressing along as fast as I want to! I started out doing swing last year, learning first ECS/jump swing and then a little lindy, and even taking a basics WCS class. Then as I started trying out ballroom and latin dancing I found that I wasn't making as much progress as I wanted in latin due to swing. So, I do mostly ballroom and latin now, spending most of my time on salsa currently!

20. wedance

wedance New Member

Salsa

I grew up in the Bronx and dated and married a PR gal so our first dance was Salsa.

When we moved to GA, many years later and started WCS, the same happened to us. Everytime we tried doing Salsa, we wound up doing swing.

Gatlinburg is about 4 hours from Atlanta/Alpharetta in the Smoky mountains. A great draw for dancers.