Swing Discussion Boards > Official State Dance???

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

So, you too have found the similiarity between swing and salsa an issue! Do you not do salsa as much just because it isn't popular where you are?

2. wedance

wedance New Member

Salsa

Actually, once we mastered WCS we were able to change dances as the music changed.

Salsa is getting very popular in Atlanta, but the clubs don't get going till 11PM. We plan to start going to the Salsa clubs again this month. We love the dance and the music, also Merengue. By the way, you can very easily do WCS to Merengue music.

Most people look at you like you're from another planet, but it works. The merengue can tire you out easier than WCS.

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I actually remember a thread(s) somewhere in the forums about mixing dance styles to music. Hmm...when I learn WCS I will definitely try that out. Anyway, thanks for filling us in on your doings. Now getting back to the topic of this thread, do you happen to know if GA, TN or NY have state dances?

4. wedance

wedance New Member

State Dance

I only knew of Cal and SC.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Georgia and Tennessee both square dance. New York -- no official dance listed. You must google, my friends. Google! :lol: :lol:

6. pygmalion

Sorry. Just read the rest of the thread. Yes, the shag is the South Carolina state dance. Adopted in 1984. You should try googling. Hmm. Is googling a word? Whatever. Google. Google. Try it. You'll like it. :lol:

7. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

... and become an addict! ... especially once you install the google toolbar!

8. pygmalion

Hmm. Looks like so far all the state dances are club/street dances. I wonder if any ballroom dance is a state's official dance. Not necessarily a US state -- some state in the world. Anybody know? I'm NOT going to google. I'm NOT going to google. :lol:

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yeah. Sure. Right. :lol:

10. pygmalion

You know me too well. I confess. I googled. :oops: :lol:

Both Wisconsin and Oklahoma have state waltzes. But Wisconsin's official dance is the polka and Oklahoma also has an official folk dance. So I'm not sure if either counts.

This looks like a pretty intensive google project. Challenge! 8) :lol:

11. pygmalion

Oh, by the way, square dance is the dance of choice for a LOT of states.