Tango Argentino > Oh, oh...gancho accidents

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Mar 19, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

I saw a blood-curdling gancho accident a few days ago...the poor guy was in erm... a wee bit of pain and the girl, who was wearing some rather sharp shoes, was more than a little embarrassed. I'm now officially terrified to try ganchos again.

Have you ever witnessed a bad gancho or, worse still, been at the receiving end of one?

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

(knock on wood) I don't think I have ever been injured. The only problem I sometimes have is I try to lead them and my partner doesn't always know what I'm doing.

3. Bronzestudent

Bronzestudent New Member

For my own safety, I must ask:

What is a "Gancho" move?

Maybe I'm not the only one with this question

4. lily

lily Member

You're not! Please, what is a Gancho move? :?: :shock: :D

5. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

BronzeStudent and Lily, sorry! :) A gancho, otherwise known as a hook, is a back kick, which is lead by the leader when he's in open stance. It's probably the one move that most non Argentine Tango dancers would associate with the dance.

6. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Oh, DM, I know what you mean. When I started AT, I never realised a gancho had to be lead and I'd go hell for leather dropping ganchos in wherever I could...it wasn't pretty! :)

Mind you, you're not the only one who it seems to happen to...the other day I heard some guy say "gancho, do a gancho" to the gal he was dancing with...it was the straightest lead I could imagine! :)

7. lily

lily Member

Ok, thanks. Yup, I can see how that could indeed do some damage if done at the wrong time :shock:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why this move is called a gancho? What does the word mean? Thanks!

8. Shamby

Shamby New Member

Lily I think it probably means hook but according to my research it also means eyeglasses in the Okinawa dialect of Japanese.

That didn't help did it? :)

9. lily

lily Member

Well Shamby, I guess glasses do hook over the ears!!! :doh:

10. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Good one, Lily! :lol:

11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Was the guy her partner or an innocent bystander.

Ganchos are the tango equivalent of Boadicea and her chariot with blades attached to the wheels.
    to ensure maximum damage they should be carried out on crowded dance floor with the sharpest stilettos possible, made of stainless steel (allows for easy removal of blood stains)
    To inflict damage to your partner:
    put in the gancho when he's not expecting it,
    if he does lead it pull your thigh upward as you bend your knee; this stands a good chance of making contact with some part of the anatomy.

There is a move if you have the reflexes of Jacky Chan to block the ladies foot before it leaves the ground. I have used it once or twice when another couple came into the danger zone.

12. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Our Diccionario Larousse del Español Moderno says that a gancho is a curved instrument with a point for hanging or connecting. It also says that figuratively it means that a woman is attractive (tener gancho, which our Cassell's says means having a way with men -- hooking them before reeling them in, I guess).

13. lily

lily Member

14. lily

lily Member

Thanks DWise1, that makes sense, although the eyeglasses theory was fun :lol: I find the origins of words interesting and as I don't speak any Spanish I was lost there!

15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Time fopr me to learn to use the word gancho on its own. :wink: I'm very good at hooking, etc. LOL.

16. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Jenn, Do you see yourself as a siren then?

17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'd better not answer on the grounds of possible self incrimination. :wink: :lol: