Ballroom Dance > Ohio Star Ball 2011

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

http://www.ohiostarball.com
    November 15-20 2011
    Official Photographer: Park West
    Hyatt Regency Columbus Ohio

Open Pro Smooth
    1 Slawek and Marzhena
    2 Mazen and Izabela
    3 Peter and Sasha
    4 Mayo and Michelle
    5 Mikhail and Galina
    6 Vlad and Eulia

Open Pro Latin
    6 Daniele and Cecila
    5 Yegor and Yana
    4 Andre and Natalie
    3 Nikolai and Maria
    2 Maurizio and Andra
    1 Yulia and Ricardo

Rising Star Pro Smooth
    1 Travis and Jamie Tuft 1111
    2 Billy King and Selena Marano. 4232
    3 Marius and Stephanie Betts. 3323
    4 Michael and Chelsea Koptke
    5 Chris Germain and Simona
    6 Mark Short and Alyssa Carck

Open Pro Rhythm
    1 Decho Kraev and Bree Watson
    2 Ricky Bentzen and Albina Habrle
    3 Peter and Sasha Perzhu
    4 Ilya and Amanda Reyzin
    5 Marcus Johnson and Yuki Haraguchi
    6 Jason and Sveta Daly
    7 Jeremy Gatlin and Anna Harwood

Open Pro Standard and Showdance
    1 Arunus Bizokas and Katusha Demidova 1
    2 Marat Gimaev and Alina Basyuk 3
    3 Andrea Faraci and Iveta Pauryte 6
    4 Artem Plakhotnyi and Inna Berlizyeva 4
    5 Mikhail Avdeev and Olga Binova 5
    6 Andrey Begunov and Anna Demidova 2
    7 Egor Abashkin and Katia Kanevskya 7

Pro Theatrical
    1 Travis and Jamie Tuft
    2 Vicente Martinez and Megan Murphy
    3 Genya Bartashevivh and Yana Mazhnikova
    4 Egor Shalvarov and Alla Profatilova
    5 Brandon Barker and Chelsea Cherie
    6 Louis Bar and Laura Cantu

2. anniep

anniep New Member

I was just trying to book rooms for Ohio Star Ball this year- of course, most are already sold out- but a few of the hotels have told me the special OSB competition rate doesn't even start until Thursday, Nov 17th. Ummm, a lot of us need to check in on Monday or Tuesday and will be leaving Thursday. Why would the organizers exclude the first half of the week? Do they think not many people (pro/ams) will come for rhythm and smooth, so why bother arranging a a comp rate for those competitors? (I really hope that's not the case...)

3. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I have no idea what's been done in the past, as I've never stayed at the comp hotel. Maybe someone can weigh in on whether this has been the case in the past.

And this is completely conjecture but...I wonder if they can only get a reduced rate around the weekend. My impression of Columbus is that it's a work city...meaning people work there and might travel there for work mid-week, but there's not as much happening during the weekends. So...maybe the hotel is not as willing to give out reduced rates mid-week?

Again...complete conjecture.

I would be surprised if it has anything to do with what is on the comp schedule over the first couple of days...

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

It could also be related to it being a university town. OSB usually/often overlaps with the OSU/UM game and when it's a home game, hotel rooms are at a premium all week.

Plus most hotels don't usually do discounts mid-week. I doubt they know what's on the OSB schedule at all, or the differences between styles.

5. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

This year, however, I believe the Michigan v. Ohio State game is 11/26/11, and is in Ann Arbor.

In 2012, it also seems to be the weekend after OSB, 11/24/11, in Columbus.

How good is the comp rate? I booked directly through a hotel's website.

6. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Last year we stayed a couple of blocks away and it was much cheaper.

7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

There's definitely lots of options for hotels in the area, includiung at least 4 directly connected to the hotel/convention center. I'm a fan of the Lofts myself, but their rooms aren't cheap.

8. danceronice

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express a few blocks away. Easy drive, the parking was cheap, and the room was a lot easier to book than one of the hotels connected to the convention center.

9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Can you give more of a description of the Lofts? Were they directly connected to location of Ohio Star Ball so that one does not have to walk outside? How long a walk from the Lofts to OSB?

10. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

hmmm, I actually had gotten a package offered by organizer, and for me - that was the best way to (as dear husband was also driving across country and really wanted the ease after the trip). And actually, the rate for the hotel was only $10 bucks off of hotels dot com rate deep discount. Could it be, that there are overlapping events the hotel your looking into and room availability is an issue in the early part of the week?

11. anniep

anniep New Member

Thanks for your comments.

I should be more specific: I spoke with the Crown Plaza, Red Roof, Drury, Hampton, and Courtyard. The issue is not that there are no rooms available at the beginning of the week (well, only the Courtyard has availability), it's that these hotels are telling me the OSB starts on Thursday, therefore no OSB rates, $118, until Thursday night. I assume the organizers of the comp would have had to arrange the room rates with the area hotels, therefore organizers have told the hotels not to bother with an OSB room rate until Thursday. No? I just haven't encountered this at any comp before- usually there are comp hotel rates during the entire event. Yes, they sell out, but at least they have been available to all competitors, not just the weekend types. :)

(BTW, I'm paying $240 for Monday night at the Courtyard.)

12. pruthe

pruthe Member

Have you tried calling or emailing someone connected to the OSB to discuss this situation? If not, I'd recommend calling Brenda at (614) 848-7827 or sending email to ohstarball@aol.com and tell what you've encountered. Perhaps there's a disconnect on the hotels' side on what the OSB rates should be. I'd recommend that anyone having any problems with hotel rates to use OSB contact info above to discuss with someone.

13. anniep

anniep New Member

I should probably do that. I'm a little gun shy about contacting "comp people" directly because the last time I did (I believe it was for the Manhattan comp regarding a different issue), I received a short, snippy, don't-ask-such-stupid-questions response, and the issue wasn't resolved until the organizers realized many other people had the same issue. So, I always turn to Dance Forums first with my concerns!

14. pruthe

pruthe Member

Always good to try checking here on DF first. Brenda is a pretty nice person, so try calling or send some email. Please let know here what find out. :)

15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Lofts is right across the street from OSB. You don't have to go outside to go between buildings, Lofts connects to Crown Plaza, which then has walkway over the street to the convention center/hotel that OSB is at.

I like the Lofts because it's a great old building. Something like 100 yrs old warehouse, which was converted into an architectural firm early in the 20th century, and after a few other changes, made into a hotel. Has great looking giant wooden beams across ceiling, etc. Rooms are nice, good linens, etc. Room service is from the Max and Erma's and is nothing amazing, but good decent American food (burgers in particular were good).

I've stayed there two years now, and been happy both times.

16. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Thanks Etp.

17. itsthisgirl

itsthisgirl New Member

ok heres a few tips from someone who used to be in the hotel business;
    1. NEVER stay at a hosting hotel, they are hosting it, they know people will want to stay there so they raise their prices because they can. Stay across the street or 2 blocks down, the prices are much better.
    2. MOST hotels actually charge more for the hotel room under a group booking, and get away with it because people think it's a deal. they will sometimes have better rates online. Call the hotel and dont mention the group and see what the rate is and then mention the group. Also before that make sure you look it up online. Then pick the best rate.
    3. The best deal is make nice with someone and get a 'friends and family' pass the next time you travel. The rates are next to nothing.

Bottom line, i know staying at a host hotel offers the convenience of running up to your room if you forgot a bracelet or necklace, but why not tripple check your stuff before you leave to go to the competition. Bottom line is, is it worth the price for the convenience?

18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

At a comp the size of Ohio, during November weather in Ohio, for me the price is worth the convenience of being able to easily get to my hotel room to just relax and regroup between heats. I am all for staying across the street, but not 2 blocks down the street!

19. danceronice

If you're on foot, it's not worth trying to stay blocks away to save $10 or $20 a night. Especially in Columbus in November. Sometimes the weather's okay. Sometimes...not. For one day last year (I drove in Thursday, danced Friday, and drove halfway home that night) it was okay to be at the Holiday Inn. Doing three or four styles, it was much nicer to be in a connected hotel.

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

itsthisgirl...while that may often be the case, very often an organizer has the entire hotel booked and you cannot get in at all unless you go through them...and quite often the organizer gets a BETTER rate...I regularly check this...even in praces where I have elite status