Ballroom Dance > Ohio Star Ball 2011

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Aug 4, 2011.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Back to hotels... I think that as the comp approaches, some people who prebooked hotel rooms at the adjacent hotels and are no longer going will release them back, correct? So I would think that room availability may improve in the next few weeks as people make their final decisions about whether they are going to Ohio.

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I have never known availability to increase. Once a privately booked room is released it is put back in the block of packages... which will be all used up in the hotels that have blocks.

The only way to get a hold of a privatley booked room that is being released is for the owner to change names on the reservation. Unless you are talking about the hotels in the outlying area that are not blocked...

3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yes, I mean hotel rooms next door to the Hyatt that are not being held by comp organizers. If people change their mind, they will cancel their reservations and these rooms would then become available.

4. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

We've stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Downtown Columbus. It is not adjacent to the Convention Center, so you have to be willing to walk a short distance or take a cab.

However, it's only about 1 block west and 4-5 blocks south of the Hyatt and Convention Center. It looks like they still have rooms. You could book one at a refundable rate and cancel it if something closer opens up.

5. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Courtyard Mariott is the next best option, if you can't find something right next to the Convention Center. Just keep in mind that those blocks are a bit long, and that it gets very cold at night in Columbus at that time of the year. Also, parts of that walk to the hotel will be through some areas with little traffic (I don't want to say "deserted" areas). So, plan accordingly if you are staying there. It is a nice hotel, but pack comfy shoes, and a warm coat, and find a companion for the return trip at night.

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but Gary is not Sam, and as one of the biggest (if not the biggest) comps in the US, it's not like OSB has to cater to every convenience of the entrants.

7. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Yes, this. I did walk it at something like 2am...but not alone. But a cab is always an option too, at that time of night/morning.

8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

For those who haven't been, it's REALLY not a scary area (I have no safety concerns, but bear in mind my standards for that are Detroit and Anacostia, so they may be a little different from most people) but it is dark, the traffic crossings are dark, and in November it can be freakin' COLD. One year the (then-unheated) skywalk from the Crowne Plaza was too cold to walk without a coat.

If you're driving, the outlying hotels are more practical as parking in the convention center lots is cheap. If you're walking, remember it is the Midwest in November and dress accordingly or take a cab.

9. Has anyone heard of the Lofts? I think it is near the Convention Center, but I'm not sure. If anyone has any info regarding this hotel, would you mind letting me know? Thanks in advance!

10. pruthe

pruthe Member

Right across street from Hyatt. Remove spaces in www.

w w w.55lofts.com

11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

In either this thread or another Ohio thread someone commented on the Lofts, as I had asked about that hotel too. I believe they were pleased with the hotel, that it was connected to the Crowne Plaza, which is connected to the Hyatt and therefore you could walk from the Lofts to the Hyatt.

12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Here it is.............

13. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

YES! I'm going! Dancing Standard on Saturday - my co-workers, and ballroom sisters are amazing as they made this work for me. I had no hopes of going,,,and now I'm all in. Staying at the Hyatt. Husband driving again....from So. Calif. to Ohio. while I fly.

14. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

How long does it take him to drive there?

15. 3wishes

That depends on if he takes side trips to find the world's biggest ball of string. lol, snicker.:p
    He recently made it to Michigan to see some national parks in 4 days from home.
    I think last time, in 09 when I was at OSB - it took him 3 days - included side trips and he stopped at hotels before the sun went down. He typically will meet me at an airport I'm flying into and pick me up.
    He now has a list with him in the car of Trivial things as in the Worlds Biggest Frying Pan and location...giggle. Years ago, this would not be him, he was always in a hurry to get to where he was headed, now he stops and actually looks around.:cool:

16. tanya_the_dancer

If he's taking I-70, he can see the world's biggest prairie dog. It's in Kansas, not far from Colorado border, supposedly a couple of miles north from I-70. I always think about stopping by it when I drive to see my parents, but never do.

17. 3wishes

Seriously? wow...he'll probably want to see it. (not trying to high jack thread).
    back to topic. Thanks. TTD.

18. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

Yayyy!! Go 3wishes's DH!! :car: :rocker:

19. tanya_the_dancer

Since this seems to be the thread on OSB 2011, I have this question - when does pro-am standard scholarship usually end on Sunday, or in other words - will I be safe with a 7pm flight out of Columbus?

20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

yes. That is usually the time of last flight out for everyone... even the RS pros who are dancing. You should see them RUN when their events are over.