Ballroom Dance > Ohio Star Ball 2011

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Aug 4, 2011.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

comp starts tues...they don't always post heat lists..

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

This comp starts at 11am on Tuesday.

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

bah... hate when I don't see another page listed with more posts...

4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Weather update from Columbus...bring an umbrella and a coat..it's soggy this morning

Tuesday - high 59, low 46, showers likely
    Wednesday - high 49, low 30, cloudy with a chance of showers
    Thursday - high 42, low 29, mostly sunny and clear
    Friday - high 52, low 37, mostly sunny during the day
    Saturday - high 56, low 46, mostly sunny during the day
    Sunday - high 61, cloudy with a chance of showers

5. fascination

thank you

6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

THANKS for the weather report! And thanks to "all" who have offered to assist me and DH. He is making his way slowly to the car this morning with a very careful awareness of his back, headed out from El Paso straight north to Ohio....in the rain. whew.

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Just trying to help...

Be sure to check out progress on construction of a new $140 million Hilton going up on High Street across the street from the Columbus Convention Center. The Hilton is scheduled to open in September 2012. When complete, the hotel will feature a 160-seat, full-service restaurant, a 100-seat lounge, a specialty coffee outlet, an executive lounge, and a large atrium lounge. The Convention Center’s parking garage adjacent to the hotel will service the property.

8. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Will Yulia and Riccardo be attending this year, does anyone know? I feel like they're often at some world championship event elsewhere.

9. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

Where actually is the comp takes place at Hyatt hotel or at the convention center?

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

In the convention center, but they're connected (the Hyatt very closely.)

11. fascination

my first time staying at the drury instead of the main hotel.....love

12. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

Good Luck fasc!

And good luck to all the DF's competing, sounds like an amazing comp!

13. fascination

thx...life has been so hectic that I don't have alot of unrealistic expectations of myself...I have improved since my last comp...no idea what it will amount to on the floor...just going to go out there and give it my best and hope it is a better product than the last time

14. I too want to wish all you dancers that went to this comp all the best!

I'll be following the results closely. May all your hard work show itself on the dance floor.

Good Luck!

15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Good luck to all competing!

Purr, I'd be interested to see if it's going to be attached to the convention center. If so, that'd be the fifth hotel (if memory serves) attached. Which would be nice to have another whole buliding full of rooms as an option to stay at.

16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

The Hilton is directly across High Street from the Convention Center, so it will be very convenient. Downtown Columbus has had an ongoing issue with lack of hotel rooms for big events or conventions, so this new Hilton is an important step towards addressing this problem. I've watched construction all summer, and it's going to be awesome.

17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Weather report for today...showers this morning and expected to continue throughout the day....high 59...low 44

Travelers coming in by car should be aware there are a number of construction projects around the city. The big one in particular is I-670 around downtown, which involves reduced lanes, barriers, and ramp closures. For additional information, travelers may want to check the following websites:

Ohio Department of Transportation
    www.dot.state.oh.us

Buckeye Traffic (site maintained by Ohio Department of Transportation)
    www.buckeyetraffic.org

18. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Had you asked me a 6 months ago, i was planning on being there and wouldnt miss it for the world! Unfortunately, life sometimes like to throw a monkey wrench into your plans. :(

But I will be competing again soon! Wish I could be there to cheer for you all - Good luck to my fellow DFers!!! And I hope you all have a fabulous time!! :)

19. fascination

yup...the exit that onstar gave me wasn't going to work, but the detour signs were well done

20. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Best of luck to everyone! Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you later in the week.