Dancers Anonymous > Olympics '06

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by mamboqueen, Jan 17, 2006.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

It's that time again. Anyone have any favorite events/athletes?

I'm a huge figure skating fan and would like to see Michelle Kwan *finally* get a gold. If not, I like Sacha Cohen....

There have been commercial on tv lately beating the drum for Apollo what's-his-name, the speedskater who crashed and burned last time around. Should be interesting.

Geez, I just hope the games aren't going to cut into DWTS!

2. Medira

Medira New Member

Canadian Men's and Women's hockey baby! I'm hoping for a repeat of Salt Lake City. :D I'd also love to see Gretzky's team win the gold after the unbelievably horrible month he's had. (The poor man lost his mother to cancer just before Christmas and grandmother just a couple of weeks ago)

3. alemana

alemana New Member

johnny weir in men's figure skating, and of course kwan in ladies'. i think she will likely choke again, however.

4. diputs

diputs New Member

No one mentioned Curling!

I did not even realize that the Winter Olympics were next month. Yet another reason why I should get cable.

I really like the downhill skiing. Those men and women are fearless to be going that fast.

5. Medira

Medira New Member

But it's oh-so-fun!!!!! Flying down a hill at near-highway speeds...there's almost no better feeling in the world!

<- former racer

6. mamboqueen

She reminds me of me *LOL* Probably why I'm rooting for her....

7. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Cross-country skiing! :cool:

8. new-ish

new-ish New Member

In figure skating, I would say the men's favorite is still Evgeny Plushenko. Women's is wide open. Irina Slutskaya won world's last year, but the Japanese women are very good. Michelle Kwan didn't enter the U.S. Nationals this year, but is petitioning for a spot. Sasha Cohen probably has the best technique, but always seems to have some sort of problem in the Long Program.

Michelle Kwan is my favorite because she moves with the music the best, has the best lines, in short, the best dancer. She does not have the acrobatic skills that many of the younger skaters have (triple-triples, maybe even a quad this year.)

Apollo Anton Ono did have a crash in one of his speed skating events, but did get a gold medal in another.

9. mamboqueen

Michelle is officially on the team. Heard it this morning.

And yes, she can't keep up with some of the younger ones, jump-wise, but she has elegance, excellent intepretation of the music and maturity on her side.

10. alemana

alemana New Member

yes, she's in.

11. Laura

Laura New Member

As much as I love Michelle Kwan and think that she's the greatest ladies' figure skater of my lifetime, I have a sneaking suspicion she won't win. I want her to, sooooo much, but there's always someone else out there to grab it. Maybe this will be Irina Slutskaya's year. Maybe Sasha Cohen will grab it. And then there's Alyssa Cisney, who has already beaten Cohen this year. And the Japanese women's team. It's just too fraught with danger....

I can't stand Plushenko but have a feeling he'll win. I *so* want Johnny Weir to beat him. He's the first male skater to skate as beatifully as John Curry since...well...John Curry!

For pairs, I hardly care. I got so tired of the whole thing after the debacle in Salt Lake City. I mean, I watch, but no one makes me go wooooooo. Some of the up-and-coming pairs that won't make it to the Olympics show promise, but they won't be there so I'm "eh" about the whole thing.

For ice dance, I know Navka & Kostamarov will win (can't stand them either), but will happily be watching my favorites: Albina Denko and Maxim Stavinsky, and of course Belbin & Augosto (yes, Tanith finally got her US citizenship).

I'm still watching my way through the US Nationals. I'm so far behind!!!

Okay, skating aside, I like watching speed skating (both long and short-track), alpine skiing (especially giant slalom), ski jumping, bob sledding, and luge.

I would so love to try luge some time. When I was a kid I used to go feet-first on my flexible flyer, pretending I was doing luge.

12. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

What's luge?

I was a fan during the 94 Olympics when I lived in Norway, but now, living in Egypt you don't get the feel of it.

Love cross-country, down-hill and of course figure skating is the best. I also liked the cross-country with shooting. What's that called? I found it quite amazing having to concentrate on speed and endurance and then to stop and concentrate to shoot a target. I can imagine it's quite difficult.

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Luge is basically going down an icy tube with a pair of ice skate blades strapped to your back. ;)

14. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

is it similar to bob sledding?

15. Medira

Medira New Member

...you mean Biathalon?

16. Laura

Laura New Member

It's done on the same track as bobsledding, but rather than being in a tobaggon-style bobsled, you are on a flat sled with long runners that you steer with your feet that is just big enough to lay down on. The sled is basically a high-tech high-speed version of the kind of one-person sled with runners that kids use all the time. Except kids usually go head first, on their bellies, and steer with their hands.

17. alemana

alemana New Member

luge gives me the Phear.

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

where are the olymics being held?

19. Medira

Medira New Member

Italy. In Torino.

20. RhumbaWaltz

RhumbaWaltz New Member

I have Olympic Fever!!! :)
    I would LOVE for Michelle Kwan to win the gold, but I somehow don't think it will happen. I love to watch Sasha Cohen skate, but I've rooted for Michelle for so long...
    Figure skating is by far my favorite sport, but I watch everything...I'll be racing home from work to make sure I don't miss the ski jump - something I only see every 4 years!
    :)