Dancers Anonymous > Olympics '06

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by mamboqueen, Jan 17, 2006.

1. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Huh??!! It'll be intersting to watch the broadcast tonight! (assuming it doesn't interfere with DWTS)

2. lynn

lynn New Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    completely speechless over the result....

3. lynn

lynn New Member

Sometimes i wonder if the pressure from the public is so much that it takes away the athlete's personal joy of just being there and do their best? It's sad the competition part overtakes the sports part....

4. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Sasha is going to take major heat for blowing off her two practices. Bummer. But I can so relate to the "choking" aspect of it.

5. lynn

lynn New Member

Yes, but didn't her coach say she wasn't feeling well?? I doubt she'll be blamed for being over confident since that obviously was not the case.

6. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

That's an upset. Ooh, what to watch, what to watch....

7. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I read that she was tired. Who knows....to me, you gotta stink it up. This is the big one!

8. lynn

lynn New Member

tape one and watch the other??

9. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

I'll have to call my husband...and pray he isn't already taping cartoons. :)

10. Laura

Laura New Member

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Arikawa is interesting...I wasn't really in to what she was doing last year, but thought she definitely brought something more to the ice this season. I'm looking forward to seeing her skate tonight to see how she looks.

Too bad about Cohen, but it's her curse, just like anything related to the Olympics is Kwan's curse.

I agree that it sucks that coming in lower than 1st in the Olympics is considered a bad thing. I don't know if that's true the world over -- I think it's just a US thing. We're so over-the-top (to the point of obsessiveness) about winning things.

Alissa Cizney (or however you spell it) in Vancover/2010!

11. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I sooooo wanted Irina to get the gold after all she's been through...:cry: It's very unlikely that she will be competing in the next olympics. She just didn't seem to be her usual gutsy self, trying to be cautious and not to make mistakes...

The Japanese girl did really well and deserved to win it though. She kept her cool and skated beatifully. Very graceful.

12. alemana

alemana New Member

i read a profile of Kwan recently that called her a "millionaire many times over." Cohen also already has lots of sponsorship deals, and will probably get more - she's too photogenic not to, even without the gold. so my sympathy for them is limited. i actually wonder how they can even motivate themselves to keep skating (in Kwan's case especially) considering they're pretty much set for life.

13. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

stamina

I've heard it said multiple times by the commentators during the figure skating events that "stamina" is a factor in the long (4 minute) programs. My first thought was "Wait, most of these skaters are teenagers/young adults -- why is this a problem?" Then I started comparing it to ballroom/dancesport, where you have to dance 4-5 dances in a row for finals. Kinda makes you wonder about the comparative athleticism involved, or the lack of proper training for skaters. I'm not a skater, and I'm not trying to insult them. It just seems.... odd.

14. Laura

Laura New Member

Yeah, there's a lot of people with a lot of money from what the general public think are "amateur" sports. The skiiers and snowboarders have lots of sponsors too -- some of them are quite well off. The figure skaters get the most money, though.

I am so non-plussed with the figure skating this year. I haven't watched it all yet, I'm up to watching Arikawa skate. No one has made me sit up and go "yeah" so far tonight, except for the woman from Turkey (sob story aside, she skated with a lot of style and energy) and Emily Hughes (happy back story aside, she skated with a lot of verve).

15. KimNVic

KimNVic New Member

I have not been following the Olympics but I just wanted to say
    that I really do not like the Medals. (I've seen them in pictures on
    internet news headlines)... the winners look like they're wearing
    CD's around their necks. I think it was a poor design.

16. Laura

Laura New Member

I agree -- they look like CDs!!

So I finished watching all the skating this morning. Yawn. Arikawa won by being competent, but the performance she delivered wasn't any more interesting or important than what you'd see skating at one of the year's unending Grand Prix events. I was hoping someone would really catch fire, but it just wasn't there.

Actually, I've kind of felt that way for this whole Olympics. For a games whose theme is "passion lives here," there hasn't been a whole hell of a lot of burning amazing memorable moments. There's been some cool things (like that guy in freestyle ski jumping who does that move called "the hurricane"), but there are no true emerging stars. Where are the Johan Olaf Klosses this time around? Or the Tara Lipinskis? Or Phil Mahres? The whole games are kind of limp.

Yet somehow I am still compelled to watch -- everything except for the ice hockey and curling. I have my limits. Otherwise I'd never get off the sofa.

17. chandra

chandra New Member

Ive felt the exact same way. Watching it doesnt seem there were many performances that just made me go "WOW that was an olympic gold performance". What with more than one person meddling have fallen in the middle of event, or doing what most certainly didnt look like "olympic" work.

Im just being silly though... NOt like ID ever be able ot be anywhere near as good as any of them!

I guess I just expect some magic from the olympics, that it seems like the performances lack.

18. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Well they are doing all those jumps and skate real fast, so I suppose it really needs a lot of stamina...

Twilight Elena

19. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Also keep in mind that the 20 seconds *min* between all of the dances makes a huge difference vs. dancing 4 minutes straight through!

20. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Re the ice skaters and stamina, it is a lot of work on the legs, skating at a speed for 4 mins AND trying to do so gracefully, without the short bursts you get in ice-hockey. Hence, you see the skaters breathing deeply whilst waiting for the marks. Another thing, a good dancefloor has some spring in it. Ice does not give you that. :?

Re the motivation to keep skating, or doing anything for that matter, is, I would guess, comes about because they love it. A bit like David Beckham the english soccer player who is worth several millions pounds himself or even Bill Gates or vairous actors/actresses. For a number of people, they love what they do. That it has helped them to be well-off ie wealthy is incidental.

Just watching the closing ceremony with quarter of an eye. In the nicest possible way, it is giving me chills, just seeing the creativity and knowing the rehearsals/practice that would have gone on behind it all. I am also thrilled to see that a large number of children/teenagers have been involved so far. The Olympics is really an amazing cultural event. Just a shame it costs so much/there is so much scandal/intrigue that goes on.