Salsa > on2 styles comparison. Which is the most spread one? Where?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by salsa-surfer, Sep 4, 2003.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

NY is mostly Eddie's style...which is why that's also known as NY2.

I also agree with you about the articles nonsense. If 1,2,3 5,6,7 isn't salsa, what is???

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

It is my pleasure João...
    Yes in Puerto Rico is power2. In NY City ricans dance both power2 and Eddie's on2. Old school dancers mostly do power2 while the new generation does Eddie's style. However, Eddie's style controls the market in NY City right now.

Razz M Tazz is being egotistical here, meaning that if you look back far enough to find out where on2 came from, you'll find out that mambo was heavely danced on2, however, going further yields that mambo wasn't danced on2 at first.

Cubans didn't Mambo on2, mambo was first danced on1, more over, what cubans call dancing mambo doesn't look like the same mambo we dance in the US. Our version has been americanized and blended with other styles (It was born here in the US). When the first lyrics of mambo were danced, it was done to the cowbell, which was the most audible instrument in the music, naturally dancers followed it, hence the guaracha like dance tempo of 1,2,3 5,6,7. Yes, guaracha is danced on1 where as son montuno is danced on2, but the instruments that cubans followed to dance mambo was the cowbell which means that they danced on1, not on2 as he claims. The off beat came after dancers figured out that dancing on2 gave them 'the luxury' to add different and more seemingly complicated moves. Although, we all follow the same timing dancing on2, for some unkown reason to me, looks and feels slower than dancing on1.

If we wish to speak politically correct dancing on1 is dancing salsa/mambo where as dancing on2 is dancing son montuno. Just as guaracha was danced on 1,2,3 5,6,7 mambo first steps were also taken to 1,2,3 5,6,7, therefore, mambo was first danced on1, Then son montuno dance tempo (2,3,4 6,7,8.) was used to mambo. Not the other way around. If Razz M Tazz wants to be a purist then no one is truly dancing mambo for on2 was first Son Montuno and on1 was Guaracha. He has to give somewhere and he refuses to do so because of a little thing we call an EGO. Both styles can be applied to a Mambo everyone knows that, yet we fight for correctness to satisfy our personal styles. We should just say we dance guaracha or son montuno not mambo; there problem solved... The reason mambo is distinct is because it is danced back and forth, that is pretty much it.

In all, cubans dance on1 because mambo was danced there on1 first not on2 and still doesn't. All dances pretty much influenced the way mambo is danced. There are elements of just about every dance in salsa dancing.

3. redhead

redhead New Member

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is for a follower to switch from "on1" to "on2"? I'd like to visit my friend in NYC and check out the salsa scene while I'm there...
    I mostly dance with guys from Mexico, Cuba, Peru and Chili (they never took any classes), and they all step "on1", and 90% of the time they do cumbia style steps.
    WHY is it so different from NY anyway?
    I've got RazzMTazz videos and was shocked with their style. Salsa should be elegant, not that pushy. However, I reworked some of their ideas for my styling. Is RMT typical for "power2"?

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

redhead... power 2 need not be anything different from what you are used to on 1 except for being "pushed forward" by one beat. If you can adapt to different styles of lead and can play with the music a little I'm betting that you wouldn't have any problem shifting over with a competent lead.

The NY 2, however, might be a bit more of a challenge. If you're a really adaptable follow then it shouldn't be a problem but, otherwise, shifting over might provide a bit challenging. Because the basic footwork pattern has the slow/pause in a different place even basic movements can have a very different feel to them. Still, there's no better place to try it out then New York...