Event Announcements > One Last Frolic... (Palo Alto, CA competition)

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by Laura, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

We've said it before but this time (we think) we really mean it. The Palo Alto Elk's Lodge is scheduled to be torn down, and we're hosting one last Winter Frolic there...thanks for the memories!

Presenting the USA Dance NorCal Winter Frolic
    Saturday, January 19th
    noon-midnight

Rumba & Foxtrot Workshops
    DanceSport Competitions
    Nightclub Events
    Fun Jack-n-Jill Contests

Come on and frolic with us, and get 2008 off to a fun start!

See www.usabda-norcal.org for information.

2. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Thanks for the info, Laura! According to the preliminary schedule, it looks like bronze and silver will be combined. Is this for certain? Last year, standard had 33 bronze and 37 silver couples. I think there was a bit of overlap. Still, it doesn't seem very nice and non-scary to the bronze-only couples. Smooth especially doesn't make sense to me, with combining foot-closing and foot-passing dancers. I was hoping to do this as my first competition as a leader, but will likely wait for another if bronze and silver are to be combined.

3. Laura

Laura New Member

Because of the date of the competition this year, we are expecting limited participation from the college teams. Therefore the number of syllabus dancers in the Latin and Standard will be significantly smaller, so we kept to the combined Bronze/Silver event. Anyone dancing in that event may also dance up into the Gold event.

As far as Smooth goes, we so rarely get Smooth syllabus couples that it is actually possible that you would be the only one in the event, no matter if it were Bronze on its own or combined with Silver. So, if you're ready to dance, come and compete, really this is going to be a mellow event and good for first-timers.

4. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

That makes sense, with the competition falling a week earlier this year - not much time for the collegiate dancers to get settled after winter break. So, barring earthquakes, floods, a meteorite on my home, someone breaking into my car and stealing my shoes the day before (happened to a friend of mine), I'm going to be there. :takes a deep breath: Thanks for the clarification, Laura!

5. Laura

Laura New Member

Rock on, TC! Will be looking forward to seeing you there!

6. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

Somebody's been watching too much Josh Kornbluth . . . .

7. Laura

Laura New Member

Who is Josh Kornbluth? I've been saying stupid stuff like "rock on" for decades. :)

8. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

Josh Kornbluth hosts a talk show on KQED on which he uses many post-hippieisms.

9. Laura

Laura New Member

I've made an attempt to export the results and scoresheets out of comp manager, but there are some platform-specific issues. Still, if you have Word on an actual Windows machine, you should be able to read the scoresheets. Or maybe my Word for Mac is just too old. I don't know, just give it a try:) . Please visit http://www.usabda-norcal.org to get the results (lists of people and placements) and scoresheets (judges' marks).