Ballroom Dance > Videos > One Legged Rumba Dancer

Discussion in 'Videos' started by JohnEdwardFarmer, Jul 28, 2007.

1. JohnEdwardFarmer

JohnEdwardFarmer New Member

This is interesting. After the initial intro the dancer throws away his canes.
    If this is an already familiar video my apologies. Apparently the dancer in
    question George Velazquez was a dancer prior to an accident that cost him
    his leg...which is gone all the way to just below the hip.

http://www.yougottadance.com/GeorgeMovie.html

Its impressive when people don't give up no matter what the obstacles.

2. rainerng

rainerng Member

My days of dancing are essentially over right now...cos of my right knee. That is inspiring. Thanks for posting.

3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

George lives in Atlanta, and he coaches and judges comps all over the Southeastern U.S. I've had the fortune to meet and talk to him a number of times. He's one of the greatest guys you'll ever meet. I've been told there is a book and a movie being made about his life. I'll try to find the info.

4. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

George and a partner performed for us at a friday night dance not to long ago. They did both ballroom and latin...very cool to watch in person! I'm always amazed how he can move his one foot like two feet. He is truly remarkable. Heather Mills had it easy compared to him!

5. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

That is totally amazing. People never cease to inspire me.

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I have danced with George. We did a waltz and a hustle. For the hustle he put down his crutches as well. Now let me just say I HATE hustle, and it was a totally great dance with him, far better than most able bodied leaders.

7. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I just had to iterate this. I have known George for years, and he is not only an inspiration to those of us who slip into our 'little' daily funks, but he is one of the nicest and most genuine persons one will ever meet.

8. FeetwithaBeat

FeetwithaBeat New Member

Add my sentiments to the list -- have known George for a few years now and can say he is not only a great inspiration, but truly one of the most genuine human beings you'll ever meet. I've never seen him without a smile and a kind word for everyone!

9. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Danced foxtrot with him during a mixer once, it was quite nice. And the routine in that video, it's even better when you see it in person.:)

10. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I remember George before the accident. He also had an artificial leg for a long time, and many peope didn't didn't even know it. He truly is an insipiration. I've talked with him quite a few times.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that is one of the most inspiring things i've ever seen. and i've struggled with rumba balance on two legs? sheesh... time to get over that one...

just wonderful vid -- thanks so much for sharing it!

12. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

I had the pleasure to see him dance in the studio that I take lesson he usually comes to help with the small competition we have every October.

He is one of the most inspiring person I have ever met he and I had a great conversation during lunch at the competition last year. I hope I get to see him again this coming October.

Go GEORGE

13. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

If he's the person I'm thinking of, he was a member of the Atlanta Swing Dancers Club ( ap rimarily WCS environment) that met at the Reunions Lounge at the Perimeter Mariott. I've danced with him more than once and he usually wears a prosthesis. He's an AMAZING dancer and has a lead that is indescribable.

India Podson is/was working on the story of his life. She's amazing too. I loved to watch her dance WCS.

Memories.... Like the pages of my mind....

14. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

It IS the same George. Wowzers. <sigh> I miss the good ol' days. :)