Dancers Anonymous > Online Dating-Your Experiences, Thoughs Etc (or-AM I NUTS?)

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Phil Owl, Apr 18, 2005.

1. lujan

lujan New Member

Sounds like you may have a good thing, hope everything works out.

Most people at dancing thought I was going out with my best friend, so sometimes they can be wrong :D

2. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Ok - now that I have a few minutes with which to think about this...

I myself am interracial (on my paperwork) even though you would NEVER be able to tell it. My birth mom's family is all european (German Irish IIRC) and my birth dad was "Indian" (whatever that meant).

Surya is Indonesian by nationality, but also Chinese by genetics. His cultural upbringing was a mixture of Indonesian & Chinese.

Our daughters are literally Asian-American.

Surya and I were actually talking about how culture plays such a huge role in the life of a relationship last night over dinner. It was an interesting convo.

We determined that one reason why our relationship is SO successful despite all the "odds" stacked against it is that culturally, we aren't really more than 15% different. What I mean by that is that he can relate to American culture about 85% and I can relate to Asian culture by about 85%. Both of us can pass seamlessly from one culture to the next, whereas his siblings who also spent time here (sis still lives here for school) are no more than 60% able to function in American culture.

Our kids are able to integrate 100% into both cultures (at this time). I think this is due solely to the fact that we do visit his family for extended periods of time or they visit us. And I'm not your typical garden variety "desperate housewife" either.

3. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I'm with you on this, d_f -- my SO and I didn't try to hide when we started going out together, and I'm glad he didn't want it to be a secret. It would have been very hard.

As for dancing with others, I've been lucky. Although we are both salsaholics, he's more into salsa music and doesn't have my uncontrollable urge :lol: to dance non-stop all night. I reserve certain songs (which I know he likes) for him, but other than that, he doesn't mind watching me dance with other guys and says he enjoys it.

4. PiPod

PiPod New Member

I've done the online dating thing--it was fun even though I'm still single-I had some very interesting dates-very interesting- one guy didnt listen to music-ever..you know that just wouldnt work

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

No music?!? Amazing, isn't it?

I had a girlfriend like that once. She'd heard absolutely no music in the house when she was growing up. Oh my. It was amusing to watch her "dance." :twisted: :lol: She'd never seen people casually dancing to music, so her sense of rhythm was ... underdeveloped. I loved her, though. :cool: