Tango Argentino > Open or close embrace to start?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Light Sleeper, Feb 1, 2008.

1. bastet

bastet Active Member

That's a fun one...I've watched it many times...the first time when I was trying to find early examples of crusadas (there's one right at the start but her feet are blocked and at about 0:25 that you can almost see and a clearer one at 1:32 in the clip)...There's also longer versions of this on Youtube where you can watch more of the movie.

2. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

My bold: ha, ha, ha very, very funny:uplaugh:

3. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Hmmmm.... well, I don't know enough to say that's obviously silly, but at the least, it seems a quite extreme attitude.

I'm not sure that close embrace is always better for all styles of AT than open, either - again, I'm not experienced enough to have a definitive opinion. But I'd question how nuevo is possible in close embrace...

For me, yes, for salon walk-around-the-crowded-room style, close is better - more connection, and easier. But even then, you might sometimes want to switch between styles.

4. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

How is it you can't notice this huge offset between them? He's not even facing her. What we have here is actually an evidence of non-close tango.

5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

surely a v-embrace?

6. bastet

bastet Active Member

that's what I would have said....

7. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Of course. But its still close embrace.

An open embrace is when the only contact you have is between the arms, and no other physical body/head contact.

8. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Exactly. ...really tired of the incessant need to micro-classify "everything" in this country. The clip shows what was a close embrace for that particular type of dance in BsAs. It speaks directly to the orig question.

9. bafonso

bafonso New Member

I started learning in open. Dancing close with good technique was very hard to me, after I was dancing in open for some months. Maybe it could have been the other way around?

I think starting with open is very important to get down some fundamentals such as connection to the floor, being on your axis, standing up straight. All of this things will be crucial to help the close embrace when there's so much less space and knowing how to lead with the floor vs the arms is important...

I would say that it is probably easier to walk in open than in close for a total beginner. Also, beginners without some fundamental will easily hurt each other in close whereas it is more difficult to happen in open for obvious reasons.