Salsa > Other Dances: do you CARE?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by africana, Aug 21, 2006.

1. nikita

nikita New Member

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Press

Alert the press !!! Afr. and I agree on something !!!!!!!!!!

3. sweavo

sweavo New Member

Heheh. Actually the objectification can go both ways. I remember I was between dances at a club and I thought ... oh crap! It's a theme park! The men are the rides and the women are queueing up to go on the best ones!

4. nikita

nikita New Member

Well- who do you choose:mrgreen: ?

5. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I do Salsa. Love it and would not change it for anything in this world. I love not only the dance, but the music as well. I listen only to Salsa. :)

I like Bachata as well, and street cha cha.

I tried AT but could never really get into it due to the music mostly - I hated most of it. I liked some Gothan Project, but not much. Then, AT has such a different feel than Salsa - I am very energetic and AT is too "inside-oriented" for me.

I would like to try Hip Hop, but there is no good school here. Not that I know of, of course. Besides, I am extremely busy (teaching and dancing Salsa + my day job). I don't know if I had the time. :(

I am sure dancing other dances than Salsa helps you become a better dancer... wish I had more time...

6. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

oh yeah, that reminds me... I think knowing other dances can help your salsa insofar as, it can give you ideas for extra little foot moves, or a different way to move your body. Like for e.g., lots of folks do little jazzy-type foot moves in salsa. Granted, some of it is actually taught in certain salsa classes, but you can also incorporate real jazz moves into salsa as well. And in certain salsa songs, I am inclined to do a sorta flamenco type move, where I'll hold both arms at a strong angle, with elbows bent, and have my two hands meet, and then bring them both to one hip, and then the other. I like to mix it up.

7. africana

africana New Member

so true. I'm taking a series salsa styling class by a teacher that studied afro-jazz, very funky. He's teaching a lot of styling & footwork to the clave rhythm. Lovin' it :)

8. africana

africana New Member

:lol: they were quite passsionate bout it, which is understandable cos that's one dance I could get into if only the count frame would fit into the music I like. They say my salsa style is very amenable to wcs <shrug>
    now the hustle folks, they are very persistent recruiters LOL! I can't stand dancing salsa with them much cos it's more about their moves than the music

(exception would be hustlers who *get* salsa music)

9. africana

africana New Member

yup selective open-mindedness ;)

10. africana

africana New Member

11. nikita

nikita New Member

Hi Africana-
    I am totally obsessed in the moment by GUEM dance percussions and GUEM&ZAKA percussion (African Jazz/dance percussions). Do you know this music? Wished, we had somebody here to teach African Jazz...:rolleyes:
    But in combination with Salsa I can't imagine:confused: .

12. africana

africana New Member

Do you have a clip I can listen to? I've never heard of Guem
    i'll search for it later

13. nikita

nikita New Member

I didn't know him eather, untill he was recommended in a music shop. In the internet there is a lot of information about him. Here is one link:
    http://guem.calabashmusic.com/

14. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

I agree. A little here and there is fun, but I like most of the dance to be with my partner. I get really uncomfortable dancing with leads who like to spend lots of time shining near each other. I go to salsa do dance WITH somebody. Freestyle dancing I prefer to do elsewhere.

Personal preference. That's all.

15. africana

africana New Member

oh it's an artist, cool! I'll take a listen soon as I can

@DM/SD Solo-ing or shining is definitely a cultural thing, no worries

16. africana

africana New Member

It's sooooo goood!!!!! thank you :D

strong similarity to the afro/brazillian samba rhythms, very very cool!

17. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Quite true... which is exactly what always leaves me surprised when supposedly "top level" salsa dancers can do shows at a million miles/hour but can't stay on time, to a really slow song, to save their lives... :?

18. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

As is partnered dancing in the first place... ;)

19. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

s.guy

Never a truer word spoken !!!-- just luv slow rhyhtmical salsa, which allows for great musical interpretation; but, isn,t that the whole point of dance ? right ?.Cross reference that to Rhumba against Bolero, same problem arises . The root source of this lies in the foundation work ( or the lack thereof ) that seems to sacrifice all the nuances , for the sake of speed . We have had this discussion on other sites and threads, but its always worth repeating .No alma, y para no corazon .

20. africana

africana New Member

yeah SD I notice that people that start out learning partnered dances are interested in just about any partnered dances. Mostly in western/european cultures

Also folks who grow up dancing freestyle - whether urban, house, hip-hop, jazz, tap, Afro/Caribbean dances, other cultures - are naturally into just dancing, w/o a partner and are not intimidated by shines. Also in freestyle or other cultural, there's informal interaction with opposite sex partner (e.g. guaganco)...

Thankfully, salsa is uniquely conducive to anything, it allows infusion of and fusion with so many dance types, and great for both partnered & solo.

The issue I have with most salsa parntering is that people are mainly exposed to just ballroom partnering elements, which is too limited for the amount of expressivity and flavor that the music calls for. I just hate watching a room full of "regular" salsa dancers gawd just marching back and forth and back and forth and back and forth....no sauve motions, savouring the sounds, the movement

IMO The perfect situation for partnering is a combination of freestyle skills (body isolations, timing, styling, responsivity to music) with partnering skills (lead-follow skills, physical/mental/emotional connection, playful/teasing interaction), and whether shining to each other, or in hand-hold positions so that it actually looks Afro-Cuban, and matches the rhythms.
    not to mention authenticity gained from bearing some resemblance to the predecessor dances, like Son, Danzon and Cuban Rumba which are usually partnered but not always handheld, and are full of polyrhythmic flava!!

That's why when listening to very good DJ or live band I many times prefer to dance by myself cos I get a lot more satisfaction from it than from dancing with average lead out there. Unless I go to a really good social, or NYC, I hardly ever feel like partnering every song (and I pretty much don't stop dancing when I go out)

gawd I need to be in NY stat!!!!!!! one more week :D :D