General Dance Discussion > Out of interest...how many of you dated another dancer you met through dancing?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by SwingWaltz, Mar 26, 2008.

1. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

Just out of curiosity (which killed the cat, but hopefully land me somewhere nicer). How many of you dated another dancer that you met through dancing, or know someone who has done so. If the other dancers is your dance/competition partner, even more fun.

Care to share the story?

Well me first, I didn't actually met my girlfriend (then, now ex) from dancing but she's what got me into dancing. We were classmates in highschool but she's a ballerina who always wanted to try ballroom.

Now your turn. :)

2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I haven't yet, but I'm sure not coutning it out. :)

I know several people who have, and we even have one couple at my studio who met there and ended up getting married last fall.

3. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Well, my ex got me into ballroom before we broke up. Started with ECS actually.

I know one instructor who is currently semi-engaged to a former student. She now works as an asst. instructor at their studio.

I've seen four people pair up over the last year, but I don't know how serious they are outside of classes.

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i was involved with someone i met in my dance community. lasted about a year and half, parted amicably... he's now with another dancer i know in the same community.

the dance world is a small one... i say take care if you choose to become intimately involved with dancers, so your life is enriched for the long-term as well as in the short-term.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have seen many many couples...and if I was in the market, it is the first place I'd be looking

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i kept dating and dancing resolutely separate for my first year... now... i can't imagine being with a non-dancer. frankly, i wouldn't be able to sustain a relationship very well with someone who was not a part of that world, because of my priorities. but merging the two worked quite well for me...

7. fascination

mind you...I wouldn't need someone to be a competitive dancer or even a good social dancer...but it would be mandatory that they be occasionally willing to dance with me...like once a month...and unconditionally supportive of my dancing

8. fascination

that would be 1 of very few deal-breakers

9. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Prolly another thread (or I should search), but I wonder how much trouble couples have with jealousy if they're not dancing together very often. We and / or our SOs understand that dance doesn't necessarily equal romance but I wonder about non-dancing spouses / significant others of dedicated social dancers.

10. fascination

IME, you either have trust or you don't... dancing doesn't have much to do with it...my husband travels on business alot...sometimes with attractive younger women (like last week)...I can either spend all of my time spying or I can trust him...same with him and my dancing....

11. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I definitely agree that if an SO didn't support my dance at all, and participate at least occasionally, it would definitely be a deal breaker for me, at least for anything serious. And would be for even a more casual relationship, if I'm being honest, just because there's not much room in my life for someone who has NO interest in dance. Practice every day, private every week, group lessons multiple times a week, social, talk dance with family as they all dance, talk dance with friends, as they all dance, hang out with dancers outside of work, etc. Way too important for an SO not to be involved.

12. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Yeah, I take 6-7 group lessons most weeks plus a practice dance plus occasional trips to dance venues. Plus my youngest lives with me half-time, so anything beyond casual dating has to include dancing.

And being centered in that gives me a sense of joy. If I meet a romantic interest, that'll be great. And if not, I'm still dancing and that's great too, with or without a steady partner.

13. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

What if you combine the two. I always thought it would be great to have a first date at a beginner's dance class. Then later on we could go to the beach and dance the rumba (jive) under the stars.

Later down the track she will find out that I dance Standard much better than Latin by going to watch me at some comps. Pleasant surprise. :D

14. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Interesting concept in theory. I have some reservations about bringing a date to a dance class unless she dances already. I'd likely concentrate on the class, not the girl. I've gone to classes with female friends, but that's a whole different situation - they know I'll be paying more attention to the teacher than them. Conversely, if she's a real hottie, I won't be paying much attention to the class. ;):raisebro:

15. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

If I were single, it would be the first (and probably the only) place where I would look.

16. Easy

Easy Active Member

I dated a girl in highschool for about 3 months. She was a cheerleader on the junior varsity. We met in the back of a truck literally. I was in the front with my buddies while we carted around the cheerleaders during a caravan for homecoming. We got egged. We pulled over, and this cute little blonde jumped out and we met face to face. She wanted me to hold and protect her letter jacket...it was already ruined by the egging, but i put it aside anyway. Anyhow, that's how we met.

After the 3 month romance, we split up. I went off to college to sow my oats. I had a lot of oats, but I didn't do much sowing :) Almost 2 years later I was home for Xmas vacation for a couple of weeks. I was playing basketball in my friends driveway when he said..."Hey Jim can you do this?" It was a box-step, and I did it readily. He said..." Hey come with me to Fred Astaire's. There's a staff party, and you'd like it" Well I went, and to make a long story short ....she was there. We hooked up, and she started training me...I've been doing it ever since. We got married a little over a year later..that was in 1985 ;)

17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Love is a weird thing. You think you could not get serious with someone who is not a dncer but what would you do if you found a true soul mate, I mean someone who just gets it as to how you tick who anticipates your needs and interests and for whom your happiness is equal to that of their own? And then you feel the same way - its as if you were identical twins, you think the same, you have the same sense of humour, you adore each other's creativity and attitudes to social issues and even raising children. But yes, this person may have a strong interest in music and movement - but has no interest in dance, or at least has no interest in the dance form that you do.

Would you throw that person back in the pond? IMO you would be an idiot...

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Such a sweet story, Easy. Is that her in your avatar photo? And did the two of you eventually compete together as well?

19. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with you, Elise. There's so much more to life.

However, the SO not being supportive or understanding...that's a different story altogether. Even then, though, compromise has got to happen on both sides. But to throw away everything else for one sticking point? I don't see it.

20. fascination

very kewl...and much to be respected there