General Dance Discussion > Out of interest...how many of you dated another dancer you met through dancing?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by SwingWaltz, Mar 26, 2008.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

If I had to pick just one dance for the rest of my life and forego everything else, I'd pick WCS. I just don't see anything more versatile. You can express so much with it!

2. Chiron

Chiron New Member

I think I'm going to have to break down and learn WCS...

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

:)

4. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I don't think WCS is a technically difficult dance. Ballroom and Latin are harder. The hard part of WCS is the musical interpretation.

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Good move giving it a go, laura.

I've only had one lesson, a couple weeks ago at a john lindo event, and it was *not* for beginners. So going sola tonight to WCS was risky (turns out, lindo was DJing this one too). But I had some very enjoyable dances.

There was one supposedly experienced dancer (9 years) I just could not follow. And another where it was dreamy. Danced with both guys twice so had a chance to compare well, and I figured out that the one guy I couldn't follow had a connection problem between his hands and his feet. I ciuldnt feel them - they felt dead. He was leading "steps", and since I know hardly any, I was lost, like he was speaking a language and all I could hear was babbling.

By comparison, I could feel the other guy's feet thru his hands, so we could dance great. When I told him how much I enjoyed dancing with him even tho I don't know the steps, he smiled and said, "yep...connection." The difference between how I felt (and looked) with these two guys was night & day, as well. With the first, I was a lost newb. With the 2nd, the next guy I danced with (who'd been watching) thought I was a pro.

So I think that's really the key with this dance, laura...don't worry about being on the wrong foot (I gave up on that tonight, lol), and be present to the connection. Having said that, I really wanna learn more patterns.

And dang...this is the ultimate sexy wooing dance. Has the potential for really intimate connection. Reminds me of AT in that regard. There were some very hot couples on the floor.

Rumblefish, this might be your dance. Heh.

6. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Ultimate sexy wooing dance? :confused:
    Sorry..I do lots of WCS and not once has it ever looked outright seductive to me. As I've said in other threads, it's flirtatious or playful sometimes. And with a slower song, and really good dancers, you occasionally see a rumba-type sensual feeling being portrayed. That's about it. If someone can explain exactly how they find WCS sexy, please tell me, because I don't see it.

I've danced with people at all levels, from all over the country, and while sometimes you have a fantastic dance and a great connection, it doesn't feel romantic at all to me. Latin dances are more sexy. I still love WCS though, because of the variety of music and different ways to express yourself.

glad you enjoyed John Lindo, by the way. He's great!

7. QPO

QPO New Member

Have yet to date anyone as I am married, but I do know that plenty of people use it as a vehicle to meet others, and why not, if you have a passion for dancing it is the best place to find a like minded person :)

8. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I think WCS can be sexy because it allows you to "connect" with your partner. I'm not talking about the physical connection that's required for lead and follow. I'm talking about the way the dance allows you to experience your partner's personality, the way it allows you to play with each other and the music. How can you play with you partner in Standard? You can't even look at her!

WCS may not be as "outwardly" sex as Latin, because it's sexiness is not so much about sexy movements but about the interaction between two people.

9. rumblefish

rumblefish New Member

Funny, sort of, and kind of pathetic state to reside in. I'm really conflicted about this. Woke up really sad and depressed about the whole damn thing.

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Exactly what I mean. It's not the appearance I'm talking about, but the connection. Again, same as for AT, may not be great to watch a couple, but they may be *experiencing* a powerful connection as they listen and respond to each other.

And just last night, I saw couples creating "moments" together of connection to each other and the music that were very seductive.

I wonder if in the WCS crowd there is as much dilly-dallying as in the AT scene. ;)

11. rumblefish

rumblefish New Member

My view is that one should actually take a Basic class, consisting of four to six lessons in WCS, and see how you feel from there. Practice in-between and go from there.

For some reason, your statement about dating+dancing connection seems to contradict other posts that I believe you have made. I may be confusing you with someone else, if so, sorry!

As to dating+dancing and the small dance community, all I can think of now, having awakened sad and depressed about this whole quandary, is Joseph Heller and his novel, 'Catch-22'. I guess one just have to shrug it off and go with the flow, though.

What depressed me this morning was the thought of attending social dances and the entire preclusion of romance. My motivation was lacking last night. I'm planning on going out tonight to have fun, but I'm looking at the social dance scene and imagine myself being a eunich. That does not please me! :confused:

12. rumblefish

rumblefish New Member

Gosh, I guess that is what makes horse races!

Your own YouTube video that you posted of the goodbye party for Michael Frank, depicting everyday intermediate to advanced students dancing with him, was, IMO, romantic, seductive, sensual, and sexy. There were particular females dancing with him that come to my mind. And we're not talking about competitive or pro dancers in that video, except for Mr. Frank and that other instructor, Ms. Poor.

13. rumblefish

rumblefish New Member

What do you mean by the immediate statements, above, samina? What is your definition of "experiencing" a "powerful connection", creating "moments together", etc.

What do you mean by 'dilly-dallying' as used in the statement, above?

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Finding romance on the floor, specifically. But also am more obliquely suggesting the various complexities it introduces into the community over time... It's in the AT & salsa scenes...probly in WCS as well. And the hustle crowd.

What I find common about AT & WCS tho is that both dances are so improvisational, with a general form but mostly between the couple what they will create. So I imagine that can be particularly intoxicating on the dance floor.

Actually, I know this to be true from dancing with my former SO, who led both hustle & WCS when we would go out, and I knew practically nil of each, so the connection was all. You get such a high from that.

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

As for "creating powerful connection" and moments and such...seems to me it's in the energy and sensitivity between the couple, thru the hands mostly. But then, I've done no-hands, no-touch hustle, and that's wonderful. So the connection isn't really about "hands" at all.

I just know that when the connection is groovy, I can sense so much, all the way down to his toes. And what he does with his hands will go to *my* toes. It's a nervous system connection thing, way beyond "steps" and "what foot am I on".

16. rumblefish

rumblefish New Member

I understand.

The only comment I have though, is I think you'll find, except perhaps for competitive or showcase dancing, that the man is merely there to highlight the woman in WCS, who is really the 'star' of that combination. It is she who has the power and ability to do the various syncopations and improvise-it is 'her' dance, we're just a vessel to show her off and all those sexy little moves you ladies do so well. :bouncy:

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Heh. Well...can't say I've got any of those but...I agree with how you've described it. :)

18. rumblefish

rumblefish New Member

Such a shame. I've seen your pics. I'm sure you can move in that manner, or learn quickly. :)

19. Laura

Laura New Member

I think people can play in Standard, the problem is that it takes so long to get to the technical place where the partners can play that it can seem pretty much impossible to ever achieve. I've only recently felt the inklings of when and where I can assert myself and my personality. But it's definitely not the same kind of playfulness as there is in WCS. I am attracted to the nearly free-form creativity possible in that dance, and accessing that seems reachable without having to spend years and years working toward it.

20. Laura

Laura New Member

You may be confused because I used to be married but haven't been for a couple of years now. Also, I'm very unsure about the idea of dating a competitive partner. At this point in my life I think that mixing up that much stuff could be more stressful than fun.