General Dance Discussion > Out of interest...how many of you dated another dancer you met through dancing?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by SwingWaltz, Mar 26, 2008.

1. rumblefish

rumblefish New Member

2. rumblefish

rumblefish New Member

Hope that you like the video.

Contrary to what you have said, above, I think that most of the top couples in dance, etc. are romantically involved. But I could see the stress of such involvement, but people do it anyway and it seems to work for many of them.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. Have recently been feeling freer connection through my arms and hands in standard, which has been reminding me of the connection I've described, even taken me off-guard..."Oh...? Wow...*there* it is!!!" Perhaps it could be an even more powerful thing with standard, because to pull it off your bodies and nervous systems have to be so tuned and nuanced, and you're right...it takes so much training to begin to get to that point.

I think standard could probly be king of swoon-worthy dancing for some couples (the baricchis come to mind...). Just a more rarified form of dance-romance.

4. rumblefish

rumblefish New Member

5. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

obviously an excellent example of WCS but not super sexy to me. A little bit, but not much. I would agree they are displaying a fantastic connection but that, in itself, doesn't necessarily show attraction or romance. I think it takes a perfect combination of partners and song to come across sexy in WCS, and in my experience does not happen much on a social floor with non-pros.
    Again, WCS is so varied that you can portray many, many different moods and feelings.

And thanks for the comments about my video, rumblefish. Everyone's perception is different - it didn't occur to me that the dancing looked sexy to anyone, but maybe that is because I know the people on there, so I know there's nothing going on.

ETA: since this thread is about actual romances through dance, not just portraying it on the floor - my favorite example of some real sexiness is Tony Meredith & Melanie LaPatin, Latin ballroom champs and now choreographers for SYTYCD. Their website, tonyandmelanie(dot)com has some amazing videos that will burn up your screen! I also recently saw their DVD from a few years ago, called Ballroom Dancing Basics. They were demonstrating simple box steps and other total beginner moves that they could do in their sleep, yet Melanie was giggling like a schoolgirl at Tony and he was tenderly kissing her hand. They looked like two teenagers with each other. Now that was sexy! An article reprinted on their website says their romance ended five years ago - their personal lives are not my business but their chemistry is still there from what I can see.

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i find that a good example of the connection i find sexy, RF. it's not the "moves" or styling that does it, but the quality of connection & being present to each other, which seems very apparent to me in that vid.

7. rumblefish

rumblefish New Member

Well, they've been romantically involved for some time, also. Guess that can help, maybe not in some cases. Tessa was originally one of Myle's' students.

Jenny, let's face it. Women and men many times differ on their view of what is 'sexy'. But, of course, here, samina is in agreement with me, because she's always right and a person 'in the know'. 8) :p :rocker::banana:

8. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Of course everyone's perception is different. I'm just saying that it possible to have a profound artistic/intellectual type of connection on the dancefloor without either person feeling anything romantic at all. You can have an artistic soulmate for whom you feel no physical attraction. A strong connection of that type might very well appear sexy to an observer, even though it actually isn't for the people involved. That's why it's wise not to assume you can find lots of dates in the dance world.

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Heh, cute. And yes...you're right, RF. ;)

10. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Dunno about anyone ellse, but Tessa sure seems sexy to me. I guess the dancing was alrgiht too. ;)

11. rumblefish

rumblefish New Member

Jenny - For some reason I fail to see an 'intellectual' connection on the dance floor with a partner. Artistic, I can see, yes. Chemistry, I can see, yes. Love, I can see, yes. But I don't see anything 'intellectual' about it. :nope:

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

very true

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

think of it as "being on the same wavelength", RF...

14. rumblefish

rumblefish New Member

Right, same wavelength.

And I agree with Jenny that the way a woman acts with a man on a dance floor that is part of the 'social dance scene' and not elsewhere can easily be misinterpreted by the man.

To avoid ambiguity, after the second dance I usually say: " Why don't we just leave here right now and go back to my place and I'll change into something more comfortable?" te.....he..... :kissme:

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

LOL

not one for subtlety, i see... *grin*

16. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

that's so true, dancing world extremely gossipy. Non-dancing world much less gossiping. Just a challenge to find one truly understand and supportive to competitive dancing and a competitor's super busy schedule:(

17. Standarddancer

lol. very funny conversation...well, if he would bother to question you about it, he probably interested in you anyway..."grin"

18. hustleNflow

hustleNflow New Member

Let's hope that's the case...would take a lot of weight off my shoulders! ;)

19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

so many responses that'll get me in so much trouble. :)

20. Standarddancer

oh well, my dear, I admire your braveness to share this sort of thing on this public forum. maybe right now no one could guess who your pro is, but maybe down the road you will compete in pro-am division extensively so your photos with pro will be every where on all photo vendors' site? Just be careful...