Ballroom Dance > Out of my MIND over Poor Head Positioning

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by TurnsAre4Girls, Mar 23, 2013.

1. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Don't stop there! Your hips also connect to your legs, knees, ankles, and feet - and those can definitely influence your topline. :)

chomsky likes this.
  2. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Wow, very well put, thanks for the help!!!!

3. chomsky

wow, I needed this!

4. chomsky

I guess I'll have to learn by heart all the nice feedback in this thread! Wow!!!

5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Well, I'm working on getting my head over the free foot before I start dancing, and keeping it back and left. It works pretty well as long as I stay in closed position. But I'm finding that when I try to turn my head to promenade, it creates a balance moment -- I keep wanting to fall backwards off the standing foot. I think I need a video so I can see what I'm doing.

6. Well after one week of self loathing because I can't seem to control this and the more I focus on it the worse it tended to get. I'm finally noticing a change in my posture today. I do two private a week. One with partner one without. And my solo lesson was spent walking. One hour of walking forward then backwards. Guys aren't made to walk backwards! Thought I'd just throw that on there. Next week I have a lesson that I bet I don't do anything other then the natural spin turn. Like how can this be so hard! lol

I have also noticed that our tango is very good. And I'm starting to think that my sway is screwing us up in the other dances. Funny how that goes. A year ago my waltz was my strongest dance. Today its my worst.

Let me end by saying my partner has been brilliant while I struggle though this. There is no substitute for a strong patient partner. I love her!

Happy Easter everyone.
    T4Gs

tequila, latingal and pygmalion like this.
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

hang in there...when your best dances are changing, that is because something is getting better, not because something is getting worse !!!!

8. chomsky

So so right...

9. tequila

tequila Member

Loved the post!!

I'd like to share a thought that I personally needed to add to this "picture" when trying to create a mental anchor for my head position: I have to consciously/ actively rotate my shoulder girdle, just thinking "lower the scapulae!" isn't quite enough for me.

Let me explain:
    In my imagination, sitting at the office in a hunched position all day makes my shoulders rotate forward (my heavy bosom - sorry, tmi, but maybe it's a girls thing so... - doesn't help either). Consequently, I looked like a turtle. In the past, when I tried to pull my head backwards, all I got was a double chin (so sexy... not) and breathing problems (anybody else coming across these or am I a freak of nature?). Lowering the scapulae helped a little but the problems (both the breathing problems and the off look) didn't vanish completely. Problem was, that my shoulder girdle was in the way of the spine so the spine couldn't stretch to be in a proper upright position all the way. When I rotate the shoulder girdle along its axis, my spine - and my windpipe - have enough room and my head gets pulled back almost automatically.

On the head/body position during forward/backward movement (again, please forgive my rudimentary attempts, I know it's more complicated than that, but this mental picture helped me a lot).
    when moving forward, the sternum and pubis go first (both points... but for me, the sternum was more important...)
    when moving backward, the head and lower back go first (again, both points... here, I personally need to put more work into the lower back, so I won't forget to go out of the leader's way while going into the back movement... *sigh*)

chomsky likes this.
  10. Chr0n

Chr0n Member

Hm since everything seems to be connected, this thread brings out one of the even more fundamental things:
    How do you think about getting into the correct dance-frame (men, ladies) - ie. which muscles do you think of compressing, which do you think of stretching, rotating, etc.?

chomsky likes this.
  11. Jenny Driscoll

Jenny Driscoll New Member

A recent instructor told me "expand the lats... fill that space". She's quite delicate of stature and I didn't quite get it until she put me in the leader position as she demonstrated the difference. Sure enough the back of that tiny lil lady suddenly expanded and she certainly did fill the space! I try to remember that each and every time now :)

chomsky likes this.
  12. chomsky

This all the time. Because of my lovely pain.

13. flightco

flightco Well-Known Member

That, was a great explination - thank you

14. vit

vit Active Member

Yeah ... only problem with that explanation is that by moving the shoulders back you are moving shoulder blades closer to each other. 'Expanding' the back will move them further apart and towards forward again, because they won't move away from the body
    Dance world is full of contradictory explanations that physicians and doctors are laughing about

chomsky likes this.
  15. Smooth Dancer

Smooth Dancer Active Member

Good point. I guess I was referring more to the procedure I use to get into the end position. Expanding the lower back seems to be the key point. Shoulders seem to more or less go along for the ride.