General Dance Discussion > P a n t y h o s e

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by MissAlyssa, Aug 17, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Somewhat back on topic. :? :?: :lol:

It pays to try out dancewear that you have planned for exhibitions as well. A few months ago, I bought a Chrisanne outfit for an exhibition. You know the one with a tank top and skirt that have about a foot-long fringe each?

Well, when I got in the middle of my routine, the skirt worked just fine, but the top kept catching on my partner's shirt buttons. Ugh! We kept having to change the choreography a beat or two to allow me time to detach my shirt from his shirt. :x Consider that a lesson learned.

2. pygmalion

Since I'm the one of the few members of this forum shameless enough to talk about this, here goes.

Bras (For dances routines -- what you wear to practice is up to you. :lol: )

Definitely wear one. You can't get away without unless you're very flat-chested. Even then, as I read on a dance website somewhere, your breasts should never become the center of attention in your routine. Yuck!

Be careful with strapless, for reasons stated above. A regular bra with clear straps sometimes works.

Longline restricts the movement of your torso.

A nice, regular bra with straps is best, but a lot of dancewear is cut so going with a standard bra is impossible.

Some people like dancewear with built-in cups. If you go that route, try before you buy.

I can't think of other caveats, but probably will later. :lol:

3. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Since you've opened this can of worms...

Have you ever heard of the stick-ons? I've never used them but I know of some gals in the colorgaurd have... I don't know how they would handle the riggers of dancing but it's another option.

I have also heard of the wonders of toupee tape for holding strapless garments in place.

4. pygmalion

Yeah. It is a can of worms, but why should other people have to learn the hard (and expensive) way? People in this forum have already been down that road, and can share their wisdom, so why not?

Yes, I've done stick-ons too. Would have thought of it before, if it hadn't been five AM. :lol:

First, the old-fashioned ones had glue. Newer styles have tapes. Both have pretty intense adhesive that works, if you're SURE your skin is oil-free. Use alcohol. My own personal preferences: The individual cups I don't care for. The ones I like look like a whole bra, only without the straps around the back, and have adhesive tapes on each side.

There's a new one out, called nu-bra, or something like that, that I haven't tried yet. It supposedly sticks without any adhesive, because it uses the surface tension of your skin. I've heard great things about it, but haven't tried it yet.

5. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Well be sure to keep us posted !! :wink:

6. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I prefer the built in cups. I'm not very fond of layering LOL. I have tried stick on bras for high school dances before but they aren't very smooth looking :?

7. pygmalion

I can relate. Definitely try on first, though. Positioning is everything! Location, location, location. :lol:

8. pygmalion

And while we're on the topic of women's undies, one last thing. If you're in a performance situation that requires costume changes, plan ahead to make sure your foundation garments work with every outfit. Nothing derails a quick costume change like having to change undies. Ugh!

Any other costuming advice or experiences, girls?

(Notice how I steered the conversation into AND out of that can of worms? Smooth, not? :lol: )

9. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

If you have to change quickly make sure your pantyhose (if you wear them) don't get snagged by your dance shoes. Nothing tackier than ripped pantyhose in a competition :lol:

10. pygmalion

Yes. And make sure your fingernails are completely smooth, preferably freshly done. I have stuck a fingernail through brand new hose more times than I can count. Speaking of which, that's why I always take an extra pair of hose, along with clear nail polish, with me in my dress bag.

Nothing to do with hose, but my emergency kit also contains a mini sewing kit, tape, safety pins, bobby pins, a comb and brush, backups of any makeup I'm wearing, anti-perspirant, and a few other things I'm sure I'll think of later. Better safe than sorry! :D

11. pygmalion

What kind of hose does one wear for a dance competition? Fishnets? Tights? (Don't worry. I know about sheer to waist. :lol: )

12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I've seen everything...bare, nylons, and fishnets. No hard and fast rule as long as it looks good.

13. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

may I ask about the particulars as to why this is of crucial importance? (I don't do much ballroom and seldom in any sort of ballroom setting) I dance in pants.

14. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Well if you are spinning and your skirt goes up...you don't want people to see a control top panty line you know what i mean? :p

15. pygmalion

Sheer to waist, because, if you're dancing in a dress, particularly one of those ballroom dresses with a full circle to two-circle skirt, when you spin, your butt and thighs show. Even in a floor-length gown. You must wear sheer-to-waist hose and dance trunks. Or else yuck! :shock:

16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Well.. :wink:

17. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I see... of course! yes-- sheer to waist!

18. pygmalion

lol! :lol:

Yuck from the woman's perspective. On that note, I was really shocked the first time I saw someone spin in a full length gown. I never realized that those gowns do spin like crazy. You got a full view of her dance trunks, for sure. Always pays to wear those dance trunks.

Oh yeah, and for swing, there are a lot of decorative and frilly dance pants out there designed just to be seen when you spin. WAY cute. :D

19. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

20. pygmalion

How did you know what I was talking about? I LOVE those things. I have the ruffly ones in red and in black. SO cute. :D :D

Plus, the swishy and twirly skirts are tops, and if you're looking for a forties-era retro look, the snoods and authentic military-surplus jackets and pants can't be beat. And the prices are reasonable. AND the people there are so nice. Definitely a thumbs up. :D