General Dance Discussion > P a n t y h o s e

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by MissAlyssa, Aug 17, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and one more thing about competition wear. NO BLACK SHOES! They shorten your leg lines and draw attention to every flaw in your footwork. If you can only afford one pair of shoes, go for tan satin or taupe leather. Edit: No black shoes for ladies. Men's ballroom shoes are all pretty much black. They get choices, though. Standard heel -- 1 inch or less. Latin heel -- more flexible sole and 1.5 inch heel or so.

2. samba ajr

samba ajr New Member

Stuff I learned from my first comp

Great list, Pygmalion! I wouldn't add a thing.

I finally broke down and bought the :twisted: fishnets. My instructor promises that they'll become my best friend. We see after wearing them a full day of competition (coming up this Friday!).

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Good luck samba ajr :!:

4. pygmalion

Best of luck, samba ajr! :D I'm sure you'll do well. Please be sure to check in after your comp and let us know how it went! :D

And about the fishnets -- here's why they're worth the $20+ investment. First, the things are indestructible. You can literally poke a fingernail through them, and they don't run. You can wash them in the washing machine on the regular cycle -- no problem. I still have the first pair of fishnets I ever bought -- a year and a half ago. And, best of all, even the chubbiest legs look better in fishnets. It breaks up the cellulite, if you have any, which most women do.

Fishnets do fit very snugly -- they feel like support hose, and they leave little diamond shaped indentations in your legs. Yuck.

But still, I recommend them highly. :D

5. samba ajr

samba ajr New Member

On that note :roll: , I'm going to wear them all them time!

And thanks everyone for your support! I'll check back in on Monday--hopefully with photos!

6. bouncybouncyweee

bouncybouncyweee New Member

Ummmm...
    Don't mean to sound too naive, but considering the fact I don't even own a skirt--
    what the on earth does sheer to waist mean?
    and how could you have imitation fishnets?

7. pygmalion

Wow! You haven't been around long, have you? :D Most pantyhose have a darker knit-in "panty" at the top. Unfortunately, the panty is usually long enough or the wrong shape, so that it shows under dance skirts. Very unsightly! :shock: Solution, sheer to waist, which has no panty knit in. So when you spin, all that shows is your legs and your dance trunks.

Imitation fishnets? Not sure, but I'm guessing what was meant was this. There are a several different grades of fishnets you can buy -- the $3 Halloween costumes ones you can buy at Walmart. Those, I don't recommend. They're cheap quality, don't last long, and rarely come in flesh tone. Or you can buy the mostly decorative ones at a department store. Better quality, but still too lightweight. Instead, buy the $20 - $25 ones at a ballet or other dance supply store. They're heavy-duty, they come in fleshtone, and they're designed to take the rigors of dance.

8. bouncybouncyweee

Hee hee, I haven't been around the forums long. I'm a sophomore in college, I just avoid skirts and pantyhose and shaving legs like the plague. The UCSD danceport team had their tryouts last night, and I did it the whole make up like a clown thing with a bunch of new make up that I just got for these purposes, but I wore pants!! Yay pants! Yay freedom of legs!! boo pantyhose!

9. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

you can still have the freedom of legs in a skirt...

... mind you... I seldom wear them :shrug:

10. bouncybouncyweee

Not really. In a skirt, I can't jump around with out flashing the universe, and I tend to bounce around quite often. So, my legs must be kept together. Furthermore, when I sit, I have to cross my legs and keep them together, when after I dance, all I wanna do is sit down with my legs staying where ever they land, and comfortable, and not have to be concious of where I put them. See? Freedom yay! Except for long, flowy pritty skirts. They're lovely

11. pygmalion

Don't worry about flashing the universe. That's what dance is for. Just wear your dance trunks! :lol:

Yes. Your legs must be kept together, pants or skirt. Every dance I've done has taught both men and women, but especially women, to avoid that "circle of light" -- the space created when your legs don't brush. Ugh! :shock: :x :lol:

And yup, pants do afford a lot more freedom. Maybe you can get our dance team to pick pants for your costumes. :D

12. bouncybouncyweee

Oh, of course one has to keep the legs together for dancing! I mean, the only times I would really splay them was if I was merengue-ing and doin' the boogie down to the floor! I meant in everyday life-- Like, when I'm skipping through campus or jumping on my friends as greeting. :D

I haven't been dancing for long, so I don't have an entourage of skirts yet. But I would only wear them for dance, just to watch them fly up and WEEEE! yay. that's the best part

13. pygmalion

hmm. Now I'm beginning to understand where your user name came from. Wee! :lol:

Skirts are kinda nice to dance in, and they feel really good swishing around, especially when you spin. But to each her own. The down side of wearing skirts is that your leg action, good or bad, shows a lot more clearly in skirts. A good thing, if you've been doing the leg work. Not so good, if your leg action is sloppy. :cry:

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

So samba ajr did the fishnets work well? I checked out with some of my friends and "danskins" are good.

With all the bouncing around in this thread I'll never forget your name bouncybouncyweee :)

And if any of you are going to allow them legs to show make sure that there is nothing unsightly! That's all I have to say as a guy!

15. pygmalion

LOL! Check out my pix in the photo album. Very nice legs, if I must say so myself! :tongue: :lol:

But you're right. Nothing quite so distracting as sausage legs. The problem is that, for genetic reasons, lots of women have chunky thighs and bottoms, but because of dance convention, they're still expected to wear skirts. In fact, skirts are often required. For dance exams, skirts are required. For dance comps, they're not required, but 99% of people are wearing them. So what do some of you out there do, to compensate for unsightly bulges, for example? Wearing fishnets is one thing. Are there other ways to work around a non-ideal body type?

And this raises the whole larger issue of dancers and body type. Hmm. Maybe I'll start a thread on that. Thanks, Sagitta! :D

16. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

:lol: if anyone knows of a way to fix think ankles please be sure to pass along the info ;)

17. pygmalion

Random thought (wrong thread I know.) Why do women hate their bodies so much? Mine's not perfect, I know, but hey. It's the one I have, and it's been pretty reliable so far. Thank G_d for my chunky tush! :lol:

18. samba ajr

samba ajr New Member

Pantyhose/fishnets

Well, the fishnets did great for about 3 hours of rhythm competition. Sat down to wait for the awards and , hmmm, starting to feel a little chafing. I had time before the open events, so went and changed. Yikes! That breaking up of cellulite that Pygmalion mentioned--well, let’s say that a portion of my inner thighs has undergone some resurfacing! :doh: Luckily I had some nice soft tights to put on. I won’t be wearing fishnets again until I’ll fully healed.

So--a warning. If you’re not ballerina thin in the thighs (as most of us aren’t)--you might experience a bit of discomfort to say the least. Honestly, the tights looked just fine.

We’re there to have fun, not pain. If I was a professional competitor--that would be a different story. But I would have started dancing 15 years ago and be a size two, so no problem with the fishnets. When the “body type” thread begins--I’ll have a bit to say.

19. pygmalion

Yup. Support hose. With diamond shaped indentations. Super tight. :lol: And check out dancers' bodies thread. :D

20. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Don't look for a way to fix them - be pathetically grateful for them! The loading strength of a bone or a joint is pretty much proportional to its cross sectional area. I reckon that the force on said joint is going to be related to the length of the levers attached - that is how long the legs are.

So tall skinny people are more prone to ankle and knee injury![1]
    The short squat ones may not be dancing prettier, but we will be dancing longer!

Cheers
    Sarah

[1] This is my delusion, and I'm sticking to it! Actually I have a certain amount of anecdotal evidence for it, mostly from the Aikido mat.