General Dance Discussion > P a n t y h o s e

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by MissAlyssa, Aug 17, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Re: Pantyhose/fishnets

You'd be surprised. I'll have to see if I can find that ballroom discussion forum again. It's almost a rule. Fishnets for Latin, anything but fishnets for standard. And people get quite emotional over it. I guess they think it's worth the suffering. Actually, I didn't think the fishnets were all that bad, and I have fairly generous thighs. Mostly muscle, though. I wonder if that makes a difference? Hmm.

2. EnjoyingLife

EnjoyingLife New Member

Pantyhose

I have another question regarding pantyhose/tights. What type(s) and brands to you find to be the warmest and most comfortable?

I have worked for about four years in an office where the temperature near the flour of my desk is quite cold in the winter (often in the 40's). Thermals are just too thick under my dress pants.

Someone suggested to me to wear pantyhose. To my surprise, they worked. I have found that different brands and styles vary in comfort and warmth.

I am a guy and am embarrassed o spend much time "browsing" the hosiery department. I understand many hunters swipe their wives hose after they have runs. But since I am currently unattached, I can't do that. In addition, my female friends don't seem to wear them much anymore.

3. pygmalion

Hi Enjoying Life! Welcome to the forums. :D

When it comes to hose, in my experience (a LOT!) the more opaque, the warmer. The super sheer ones are designed to make legs look pretty, not keep them warm. There used to be a line of hose called Winter L'eggs, which were reasonably priced, around $4 a pair, and heavyweight enough to keep me warm through below zero degree Farenheit winter days in a skirt.

In your case, though, I'd recommend that you go to a dance supply store and buy a pair of men's ballet tights. They come with or without feet, and they come in black. Nobody will ever be able to tell by looking at your ankles that they're not manly, manly socks. Plus, tights last forever, and take abuse very well. You won't have to worry about runs, or about buying lots and lots of hose. The investment up front will be about $25, but they last a long, long time. :D

4. samba ajr

samba ajr New Member

Hello Enjoying Life!

I don't think you should have to wear extra clothes in the office to keep warm. Can't they turn up the heat? If not, how about a small space heater under the desk--I've done that when I worked in a basement, and also when I was in the reception area. Most of us ladies would prefer not to wear hose if they can help it (that's why we started to wear slacks)--I'm not sure that that should be your solution.

Stay warm! :)

5. EnjoyingLife

EnjoyingLife New Member

Unfortunately those solutions cannot be done. The problem is that my office is in a historic building built in 1852. My desk is next to a 12' (floor to ceiling) drafty old window. The radiator sits in front of it, which heats the upper part of my body. But my legs and feet remain cold.

We tried to get permission to replace the windows, but were denied by the historic association. As far as a space heater, that was denied by code enforcement. The code enforcement officer is in my office daily.

Those were good suggestions. I am hoping we can try for new windows again in a year or two. Perhaps the administration at the historic association will have changed, giving us a better chance.

6. pygmalion

Sorry to hear about the work conditions, Enjoying Life. Hope the tights work. :? :D

7. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

With a reinforced toe. I like the Hanes you can get at Lord & Taylor - it's a white package with a fuschia color thingy on the front. "Little Color" is my color of choice. Just enough color to not look pale, but also not so dark that they look wierd. This particular color *also* just happens to be an exact match for beige leather ballroom shoes. :D Also, the Hanes run true to size (unlike drugstore varieties). It's nice to be able to by a size A when you are a size A. There's something demoralizing about buying a size "Q" when you are really a size A. If you are on your feet for hours, try support hose. They are a little more opaque than their less supportive brethren, but belileve me, they make your legs feel like a million $$ if you have to be on your feet for hours n hours a day (reminds me of whenI worked 2 jobs).

As for us preggies, I *love* the ones from Motherhood. Support out the wazoo and nice colors and did I mention they fit?

8. DancingMommy

The pasties are only good if you are tiny. Beware the C cup that tries to use those things... You'll end up using 2 or 3 per boob... Don't ask how I know this....

9. pygmalion

Oh yeah! Finally a brand of sheer to waist hose with a reinforced toe. I was wondering where to find them -- I've shredded many a pair of sheer toe hose. :x Thanks. :D

10. DancingMommy

From my aunt who danced on broadway and in Branson, Mo...

If you have multiple tights changes - ie from black to tan and back, wear the tan ones underneath *everything* and pull the black ones over the top... They stay nice 'n' smooth. Same goes for back seamed/fishnets.

Wear an undergarment *over* tights. Capezio makes these things called "overs and unders". They come in all shapes/sizes/varieties. I like a full nude bodysuit with clear straps - especially with a 2 piece outfit. It makes everything look all smooth.

11. DancingMommy

It will be a cold day in H-E-Double Hockey Sticks before I put false eyelashes on. An' I don't care who knows it, LOL!

Funny story.... When I was in high school (Northside High, Class of '90) tour company, we had to wear those nasty things. I refused. I just gobbed on the mascara. The boss couldn't even tell, heheheheh.

Beyodiyodi... Pivot around.... (Sorry have Jitterbug Stroll on my WMP)

12. DancingMommy

I'm with you. I used to be a hair color junkie. I had to go to rehab (seriously). It wasn't pleasant. :evil: Now I just let my natural color shine through - gray and all, heheheh...

As for competition makeup, I refuse to do the clown thing. Ain't no way. Been there, done that. For us since we only hit the local comps which are in small rooms - with no tv cameras - I usually do a little more "Intense" look. Think holiday party+++. I add a little glitter to the decoletage (the part above the cleavage) and have some super shiny lip gloss to go over my lip color. Black eyeliner (instead of forest green), black mascara (instead of brown) and a GOOD dose of powder.

My personal fave which can get me from street to dance floor in under 10 minutes: Lancome.... 8) They have this new product called "star gloss" that stuff is the shiznit. It is super shiny, smells good and lasts and lasts. My personal favorite color is "prima donna"...

[​IMG]

http://www.lancome-usa.com/_us/_en/...ps^F2_Lip_Gloss^F3_Lip_Glos_Gloss&vname=name&

The website says prima donna is a brown shade - believe me it ain't! It's a reddish-goldish shade that is awesome. I wear it with red all the time.

Eyes: http://www.lancome-usa.com/_us/_en/...Eye_Shadows^F3_Eye_Sha_EyeShadows&vname=name& These are some of the best color selections ever. If there's a loud colour to be had, Lancome has it!

Mascara: http://www.lancome-usa.com/_us/_en..._Mascara&?CategoryCode=AXEMakeup^F1_Mascara&& They even have groovy colored mascaras....

OK, so I sound like a Lancome rep.....

Foundation: http://www.lancome-usa.com/_us/_en/...ou_Foundations^F3_Fou_Fou_DrySkin&vname=name&

I like this much better than the regular Photogenic - it's a little heavier, but not *heavy*. It provides a much better coverage - especially when applied with a foundation brush. A foundation brush is a MUST MUST MUST!!! I just learned this after close 20 years of wearing cosmetics... Oh what we learn....

[​IMG]

If I have more info I'll pass it on as I remember it - preggo-brain today, LOL!

13. DancingMommy

Re: Costumes and Clothing for Competitions

Fake hais is GREAT. I keep my own hair fairly short (just between the chin & shoulders) so I can pull it back in a tiny pony tail and slap some curly pouf on it when I need a "fancy" do. The shades available are so great now!

Not all boas can date you - heheheh - especially if you look stylish in 'em. 8) My dress is one of the Italian style jobbies that has like no layers of skirt with this mega slit up the thigh but it's trimmed in ostrich. It is slick and looks like a million $$$. I only wish it hadn't set me back so "much".

Acrylic nails are a MUST! I wear them 24/7 and have a place I go that specializes in super fancy stuff. If I can find the website for their school, I'll link to some pics....

14. DancingMommy

Steel belted radials of legwear. I still have a pair I bough at Showtime in my last life (close to 6 years ago). I can't ruin even if I try....

15. pygmalion

Yep. I was talking about the ten-years-ago styles. You know the ones with multiple layers of skirting and huge dyed-to-match feather boas all around the hemline. Not done anyomore. At least, I haven't seen any, anyplace other than on old ladies at comps and on the consigment racks. But styles do change pretty quickly, so you'd better check dancescape before you buy anything! :lol: :lol:

16. DancingMommy

Well, since that sucker was bought right before I got pregnant, it'll be a while before I can wear it (ever). It rocks my world though... It's sapphire blue (which sapphire being my birthstone makes me happy) and is awesome. It's got the handpainted 2-tone thing happening. and stones out the ying-yang! I wish I had a picture it is sooooooo pretty. :)

17. pygmalion

Don't worry, Nina. I have eleven nieces and nephews, and, believe it or not, my sister who had FIVE kids is the skinniest one of us. You WILL get into you beautiful gown, and before you know it! :D :wink:

18. DancingMommy

Gads I hope so... Hubby doesn't even know I bought it... Muchless how much it cost.... Oops...... :oops:

19. pygmalion

He doesn't need to know how much the thing cost. All he needs to know is that you're worth it. :D

20. pygmalion

So, um. I vote that this thread be moved to general dance discussion, since virtually eveything in it is about clothing, etc, for dance. Anyone object?