General Dance Discussion > P a n t y h o s e

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by MissAlyssa, Aug 17, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Has anybody tried Edie the salsa freak's posture halter for ladies? It fits right over the shoulder blades and holds the shoulders down and back.

I'm thinking about getting one. Anybody have experience with it?

Oh yeah, and is there such a thing for men? They need good posture too.

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I thought it was de rigeur to know how to dance tango whilst your partner adjusts her pantyhose/tights whatever or I need to scratch my ear or swat the fly that's landed on my head. It just requires good co-ordination, like navigating past the bar so you can swig a drink whilst passing!! :wink: :wink:

3. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

It sounds like the brace for someone who's broken a collarbone-- like a figure 8 that crosses between your shoulder blades (I've found myself in one on a number of occasions) -- is it different?

4. pygmalion

It sounds like the same thing. From what she says in her article (aka shameless advertising LOL) it gave an immediate posture improvement. I'm willing to try it. After years of perpetual slouching, I'm willing to take drastic measures.

5. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

well those things are made so that you can't slump your shoulders forward and I once made something very similar with a very small metal plate on the back and bolted fairy wings to it... well the bolts went through the costume and the wings screwed on the other side... it was quite effective and I don't recall slouching when I wore it... but then again I wasn't really in the circumstances where I would slouch. :shrug:

Let me know how it goes :D

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Noooooo!!!!! Using devices to give you what you should have using your own muscles is a dangerous thing. Immediate gratification is not always worth the price you pay! It allows you to cheat!!

I was sitting a lot posting in DF, surfing the web and started hurting my left chest muscles and so I had to sit properly to prevnt it bothering me. I have got back much better posture, now. There also is pilates/somatics...It takes longer, but the results are longer lasting and healthier.

Another tale. A while back, in undergrad, I used to have some knee problems. I discovered that using a knee support on the problem leg actually did me disservice. While it allowed me to actually go about my regular routine my knee with the support actually got worse!! Since then I have rarely used any such devices. I find that I recover faster and end up stronger that way.

7. pygmalion

I don't want to link to her article, because it's WAY slow loading and shamelessly commercial, but the goal is not to use the brace long term, but to retrain your muscles which have years of bad posture habits to overcome, then stop usind the brace. It looks worth a try, although, from what Edie said, the retraining process can be quite painful -- you're learning to use your muscles in a totally new way.

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Don't bother with the article. I could find it if I wanted to. I agree with you Pygmalion!! Just get a little excited when I have had a good time. :)

9. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

don't we all? ;)

10. redhead

redhead New Member

I have that brace you're talking about. You CAN see it under clothes (very thick thing) and it's very uncomfortable, but that's the point. It doesn't do the work you muscles should do (at least for me) - but it hurts your upper arms/shoulders a lot if you get lazy. I wear it may be once a month at home for an hour just to recall how it feels, and after that I try to do a good enough job on my own so I can finally put this thing away! So it works in a way, I guess.

11. redhead

redhead New Member

Imitation fishnets - those are just nylons with fishnet-like pattern on them.
    For fishnets, I like Givenchy - you can buy them for 8-10 bucks.

12. redhead

redhead New Member

Oh, does anyone know if "toeless sheer to waist" exist?

13. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

I know I shouldn't laugh, but hey, you gotta!!! I got burned once when I wore a twirly skirt and underwear the same colour as my skin...people thought I had no underwear on...no wonder the guy kept twirling me during the jive...never did that again...mind you, I don't think I've worn that skirt since...

Seriously, re the problems with stockings, I wear pants and the mini stockings, the knee-highs. They run less and if you buy the best quality you can afford, they tend to last longer and can be washed. I was spending waaaay too much on stockings, but it's much less a problem now...besides, do you know how many group classes you can have in twenty five bucks? :)

PS: MissAlyssa, are you really not allowed to wear pants? I don't think that's even legal anymore...sheesh, you should look into that. I believe it's now legally discrimination to force women to wear skirts/dresses.

14. pygmalion

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try it. What's a little (a lot LOL) of discomfort when it comes to dancing well and looking good? My problem is that I have pretty good posture, but a slight forward slump of the shoulders that's so habitual that I can't feel when I'm doing it. I think the brace will make me more conscious of what I'm doing, and maybe help me correct myself.

15. pygmalion

I mentyioned this in another thread, but it bears mentioning here as well. Take a look at the dancesportcomps.com website. This month's newsletter has an interesting "coaches sound off" article which has some great tips about costuming.

Ideas like trying out costumes in advance, which is pretty obvious. But there's other, less obvious stuff. Like preventing body jiggles, and this goes for men as well as women. The coach here said she doesn't want to be distracted by jiggling body parts -- if you stop dancing, but your body parts are still moving, find a way to tame it, glue it, tape it ,restrict it. Just don't let it distract people from your dancing. Pretty interesting.

16. pygmalion

A tip for the gentlemen

Too funny. I just found a costuming tip for guys that I'd never seen anywhere else. When competing, wear black underpants. That way, if a seam of those tight, tight pants rips, there's less likelihood of embarassment. Makes sense, doesn't it? :wink:

17. Blondie

Blondie New Member

Pantyhose

Does anyone know where I can buy pantyhose that are non-glare and sheer to the waist, preferably in suntan or tan shade for dance comps? I actually saw such a thing at Walmart a few months back, but it was in the wrong color and wrong size. I'm not sure what the fabric is, but it was sheer and was pantyhose. It was not tights. And I do not want fishnet. I already have several pairs of those.
    :?:

18. pygmalion

I believe DancingMommy recommended a brand she likes somewhere. I'll see if I can find that post. Hanes? Burlington? I don't remember, but I'll look around.

Lately, since I like control top but have to wear sheer to waist, I've been wearing No Nonsense Transparent Control hose -- pretty sturdy hose, with an actual control top you can feel, but you can't see. Sheer reinforced toes. About $4 at Target or Kmart -- but somewhat hard to find. You can order them on line at the No Nonsense web site, too.

19. pygmalion

It was earlier in this same thread, Blondie. DancingMommy likes the Hanes sheer to waist hose with the reinforced toe -- department store hose. Apparently, just the right color for tan ballroom shoes. 8)

20. SamanthaDance

SamanthaDance New Member

I wear Leggs Sheer Energy, as they last the longest for me and are available sheer-to-waist. But their color choices aren't the widest range.

There is a style of Hanes Silk Reflections that are a tanga panty, and are cut very high on the legs. And Hanes are less glossy than Leggs, if that is important to you.

Well, I finally made my first post! :D

SamanthaDance