Tango Argentino > Videos > Pablo Veron's left arm!

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Light Sleeper, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

... I'm in love with it - look at the way he holds it and his frame never wavers..... awwwww :D

This scene is so lush (Zum, The Tango Lesson) must've seen it about ten million times....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnw9-_zXT-8

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

3. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

What I notice in the first video (and with stage performers), is the right hand (and fingers) of the leader. They sometimes use those to signal leads.

4. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

I didn't really see any dragging/ pulling in that clip in the other thread.

Ah. I do like your 'I've seen this a million times' clip, there's some gorgeous dancing and a lovely feel to it. However I would've preferred to see Geraldine take a different approach in dancing in an open embrace with Pablo.

If you observe the close up of her foot, she is wearing slingback shoes a size too small, her heel is hanging over the shoe. I'm making the assumption this was on purpose because of height difference. It also means, in effect, she was wearing 5" heels which makes the walking a little too tippy toed for my taste, you can't push through your foot in heels that high? Changes the whole stance seemingly? This must've limited Pablo somewhat but he still dances to her beautifully. I do get sick and tired of people slagging off Pablo Veron for being 'brusque' and 'selfish'. What ROT.

Anyway, just want to stress that I'm not saying Geraldine danced badly at all, she's an amazing and beautiful dancer - just that the tippy toe thing isn't really my bag, my 'idols' if you like are Mariana Galassi and Miriam Larici, more earthy. Geraldine must have feet as strong as a navvy's biceps though as she doesn't rise and fall, stays on her toes the whole time!

5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Too, he was kind of my "first teacher" (from the distance), and Tango Lesson was my moment of infection....

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I must be missing things.

I didn't see pushing and pulling in the demonstration thread, I didn't see any finger signaling going on, and I don't get what the big deal is about his left arm.

Then again, I think I've got to be about the only AT dancer in the world who isn't head-over-heels crazy about The Tango Lesson...to put it mildly.

7. bastet

bastet Active Member

you are not alone

8. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I don't understand your comment about wearing shoes too small to fix a height issue. Why would wearing shoes one size too small help with a height discrepancy? Maybe Geraldine just likes that kind of fit.

However, I'm totally with you on the "tippy toe" straight knee thing and also the Mariana Galassi thing. I like a more earthy look that is softer in the knees, and I love Mariana, both as a performer and a teacher. (as I think I've said so many times before that people are tired of hearing it!)

9. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Hi Zoopsia: I rarely see her wear slingbacks in performances with Javier. If your heel is hanging over the edge, it in effect makes the heel even higher because the foot's heel is even higher off the ground than it would be normally. I'm no physicist but that's my theory :)

Maybe we should start a Mariana Galassi Appreciation Society!! Hope she comes to the UK some time.

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

he has a nice ballroom consistency with it. thing is... i thought "there is no frame" in AT... ;)

11. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

'ere, consistency isn't the preserve of BR'ers y'know ;)

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i wouldn't think so at all. i'm just parroting what i've heard ATers say on DF...:)

13. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Hee hee! You'll not find me rejecting the term or concept as inappropriate to AT. I never did BR so it makes sense to me in AT terms, I don't see the need to differentiate, the frame is different, but it is still a frame.

Then again, I suppose the term 'embrace' is more sensual ;)