Salsa > Pachanga or Boogaloo???

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by sebi, Mar 18, 2014.

1. sebi

sebi New Member

Hi People

Im sorting my songs right now, and found out that pachanga and boogaloo sound very similar.

Is there a way to know if a song is pachanga or boogaloo?

Thanku in advance

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

There is, but difficult to describe in words . And, they really do not sound that much alike; once youve trained your musical "ear " they will become much clearer for recognition.

3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Simply sort it by language. (All the same with Kizomba and Zouk).

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Certainly true tangotime, but I can understand that for a newcomer part of what they're asking is for exactly that: what to pay attention to in order to train their musical "ear." Heck, I remember when I couldn't tell what was a merengue from a cha cha (let alone salsa, or bachata, etc., etc.). Now I get mystified when someone can't tell the difference... until I remember what a musical dunce I was myself! :oops:

5. tangotime

I gave thought of giving a simplified explanation, then realised there isnt one !..I might posit this..
    Boogaloos, have more of a Cha cha sound/ feel ,as opposed to Pachanga .

The more modern day pachanga songs, have a different "sound " to some small extent.
    Mani Picao is a good e.g. of new ( by Mikata ) -Versus old , pick anyones version.

6. tangotime

I believe the question , is more about the sound .

7. opendoor

I know, but cuban pachanga is so different from nuyorican pachanga, and early boogaloo so different from late. So I decided to distinguish these styles rather by sociological aspects:

-one dwelled in cuban expatriate circles, the other one in puertorican,
    -one retained the spanish language, while the other changed it to english.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  8. tangotime

I dont think Ive ever heard a pachanga in english.. do tell. And, no matter the era, the distinction between B/loo and Pachanga , is very clearly defined from a listening aspect. And, I do not expect anyone ,with a limited background in the genre, to have early recognition ,no matter how one responds on a post .Gee ,I even know teachers who dont know !! .

9. opendoor

Precisely!