General Dance Discussion > Paid dance Social/event with your dance teacher for the entire event time?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by anntennis, Aug 5, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

there are a few men that I can rely on but they make the rounds and since most are single I don't blame them

2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

So it seems Nucat is a short drive from Fasc but somehow NJD and Sam are ones he's gonna be dancing with. SOmething wrong witht hat. :)

3. fascination

my FP always paid each of his ladies the courtesy of one dance...after that his life was his own...as it should be

4. DancerGA

DancerGA New Member

My experience was dancing during the competition's evening banquet ceremonies. I was on a package from my studio and was the only student with pro. I'm not saying he should dance every dance with me. Just wondering what everyone thought.

5. fascination

every one's scenario is different...ain't gonna happen with FP ir NP...very few things in life are certain...but those two things are

6. fascination

most of the guys do make the rounds...but do skip me...and it's okay on a certain level...I get it...just sort of a drag...and since I am also spoken for both relationally and competitively, the hurts any additional prospects...no pro is going to try to woo me...so I don't get much staff action either..meh...danced myself right out of prospects

7. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Something about us Jersey girls...Bruce Springstein wrote a whole song about us...

8. fascination

it really depends...I had a friendship with FP...I went above and beyond and I hoped for the basic courtesies that acknowleged that, which (after growing through a brief training period of understanding that) he was kind enough oblige me with...and that amounted--appropriately-- to one dance... I think it is very presumptuous, regardless of what one spends (and let me assure you that my dance budget was hefty) that one has bought some sort of allegiance that simply isn't appropriate...the price is the price...it doesn't come with inherent fondness..one dance is a matter of respect...the rest I respected him enough to know that he didn't belong to me...and w/ NP...that man should simply never be expected to dance more than he already dances at a comp...case closed

9. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

10. fascination

agree....what one pays one pays...and one has to do that without an expectation...if one has an expectation it should be for reasons besides pay...ie ...if one's pro is expecting allowances that bespeak a friendship and understanding...then one's pro should expect to also care to return friendship...if ones pro is businesslike, one's pro is businesslike...but none of it should be about what money buys

11. fascination

12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Thanks TC. I had forgotten about that thread, it was a fun one.

13. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

heh....more like an album set! When I was 17, I swore all those songs were about me. lol!

14. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

You are right, MQ - one was titled that, but the rest were about "us" as well.

15. kayak

kayak Active Member

Anntennis, Perhaps I missed your answer on one of the other pages, but don't you hate your dance pros? I seem to remember several threads about not liking them or their costs. Why on earth would you want to pay big bucks to dance with someone you don't like?

16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

No, actually I am not angry. And I do not hate social dancing. I social dance all the time, with my students. MANY of my students and Boston locals frequent this board and will testify that I love my time dancing with them. But what I take offense at is the "entitlement" thing. I don't want anyone ever to emotionally blackmail me into dancing with them. "Dance with me or I take my business else where." I would simply say "Well that is your choice. Good luck and God Bless". I don't babysit my students. The ones that need more attention than I can give end up at other studios anyway.

And I (as well as others) I gave you a very easy answer. If the first pro did not want to spend his weekend off with you, that was his choice. If the second pro decided his weekend time was worth the money you offered for a social partner, then good for you and him.

And good luck at your upcoming competition. If the pro you hired for you weekend dancing also dances as much with you at the competition as you expect, then you have a gem of a teacher. Most pros would not.

17. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Where did you get anything about hate?

About cost: Pros charge different prices for competition per dance. I never competed, and was curious how the price fair or not. Various pros quated different price for the comp.

Lessons rate in NY/Nj is pretty much the same.

Hate, by the way, is a very strong feeling, and I would not use this word lightly.
    I would not socialize , communicate, forget paying anything to anybody I hate. Why? There are a lot of schools and pro choices.

I did try a few teachers before finding my current pros in various NY/NJ studios. It is about what I get for my money and how well I learn to dance after my investment and how much joy I get from dance. You can't get it from somebody you hate.

You must misred or misunderstood the thread I posted.

18. fascination

let's step back from any incindiary (sp?) comments

19. fascination

well said IMO...here's the thing ...it is no secret that I adored FP...he was my first teacher...I owe him everything...and I would happily pay for any dancing he was inclined to do...but he owes me nothing...he did his job well for the most part...and beyond the social grace of a single dance at a comp...he owes me nothing...he has my gratitude....as for NP, again, the man dances like a machine I simply cannot fathom having any expectation beyond tolerating my inadequecies on the floor...OMG ...lesson tomorrow...:doh:

20. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Ftfy ;)