Ballroom Dance > Partner hunting

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by nimmity, Sep 19, 2010.

1. nimmity

nimmity New Member

I am currently one of the many dancers without partners and was wondering if anyone has any practical suggestions for actively looking for a partner.

I have adverts on 2 websites and my teacher is keeping an eye out.

What else can I do?

Should I have lessons at lots of studios so lots of teachers know my dancing and that I'm looking?

2. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Not so much a short term suggestion, but networking will be key. Besides the old fashioned getting to know a lot of people in different studios, and keeping channels open with them, you might also take advantage of social networks like Facebook and Twitter.

3. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Go dancing! You find dancers at dances. It's obvious but we rarely realize it.

The second part is you need to go to the right dances. If you're looking for a social partner, go to all the dance parties you can. If you're looking for a competitive partner, go to the Saturday night social events at competitions. If there's a competitive studio in town, go to their studio parties (and better yet, their group classes).

4. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

it the best time to improve your dancing. Sometimes taking lesson on your own allows you to develop your own skills so when mr right comes along you will be able to partner him better.

5. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I was surprised how many people at social parties would dance competively if they found a good partner. You will have fun, and maybe find a great partner.

6. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

I would practice alone at studios... Especially where a lot of amateurs in your discipline go to practice/take lessons/try out/etc. It's a great way to meet other dancers and get seen. With all the people going through these studios (many of whom are looking for a new partner), you can benefit a lot by being in the right place at the right time.

7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If your teacher hasn't found anyone, have you talked with other teachers, coaches, etc? Done any "dance weekend" type clinics? My friend found a potential partner through one of those (though there was a distance issue.)

I don't know what the social-dance scene is like in England, but if you're looking for a competitive partner, from what I have heard through the teachers and teaching situations is the most effective way to do it.

8. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

9. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

As others have said, keeping yourself out there in various forms is the way. Whether that's going to dance parties, practicing at the right studios, etc... simply expand your current ballroom world. Get to know what other people are doing. Keep a lookout for potential partners for other people, too, not just yourself.