Ballroom Dance > Paso Doble played until the 3rd Clash

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Mar 13, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Interesting my spell checker wanted to transform Paso Doble into Paso Robles. Ha. But I assume this means that we are talking about reaching the third Clash in the song España Cani (others too?). How much time to the third Clash? How do the bars of music map out?

2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I read that as "crash" and was thinking, "Bad floorcraft".

Sania and scullystwin42 like this.
  3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

That would make for interesting method of judging. :) It seems to be a WDSF rule that was started in the last year or two for high level events.

4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Still trying to figure out what Joe Strummer has to do with paso doble... :D

5. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

At 60MPM, my pasos' 3rd crash reaches about 2:06 (2nd crash at about 1:18). But I tend to play 2 crashes for everything except champ finals, unless otherwise instructed by my chair (and I usually call across the dais "2 or 3?" every time to make sure).

DanceMentor likes this.
  6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I seem to recall learning that the amount of time between the crashes is different... which means when it unexpectedly goes long, you can see some funny stuff if people have never choreographed/practiced/listened up to the 3rd highlight.

Thanks to my old notes from paso (which I distinctly remember writing down because I'm terrible about actually counting dances, and was finding the count changes odd when using my usual method), I found it goes:

16 measures (usually counted 8 8 8 8), 2 measures (4)

24 measures (8 8 8 8 8 8), 2 measures (4) ending in 1st highlight

8 measures (8 8), 1 measure (2 - sometimes combined with the previous 8 and counted as a 10) 4 measures (8), 3 measures (6), 16 measures (8 8 8 8), 3 measures (6) ending in 2nd highlight

16 measures (8 8 8 8), 16 measures (8 8 8 8), 8 measures (8 8), 2 1/2 measures (5) into 3rd highlight​

I'm reasonably sure this musical structure holds for all pasos in 2/4 time (at least, that's what my notes say), which is great since we rarely hear anything but Espana Cani in North America, meaning routines will still work.

Note: There are pasos in 6/8 and 3/4 time, but I don't think I've ever heard them played in competition, even in Europe... I have no idea how they are structured.

DanceMentor likes this.
  7. dlliba10

My notes from when I danced syllabus paso differ slightly in the delineation of those weird measure groupings (also, I found it much easier to count in 8s and individual beats rather than half-note measures):

1-2-3-4

1-2-3-4-5-6

1-2-3-4-5

DanceMentor likes this.
  8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

01-10-11-100-101

jump'n'jive and W1ndstorm like this.
  9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

cornutt likes this.
  10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I like this way for the second phrase - it makes more sense than the way I was taught!... though I acknowledge that the counts I have were to a specific routine, so they might differ to suit the choreo

dlliba10 likes this.
  11. dlliba10

Those first four 8s definitely vary from paso to paso, though -- some have the 2 and the 6, some just have four straight 8s.