Tango Argentino > Passion for tango not quite there

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by JTh, Jan 28, 2017.

1. JTh

JTh Member

I didn't think this would come so early. After about 7 months of tango...I don't quite feel it anymore. That is, it's getting more routine, a bit more boring, doesn't quite have the excitement that class and practica sessions used to...
    And what's really concerning is that I'm not having thr connection (with followers) in the dance like I used to.
    Is this normal for tango dancers? I would think so, but after years of dancing maybe..?
    On the flip side, I'm fairly good gor the time I've spent on it, have made continual progress, and made some good friends on the dance floor.

2. brunoalfirevic

brunoalfirevic New Member

You mention classes and practicas. Are you going to milongas?

Mladenac likes this.
  3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

JTh, note that I didn't even go to a practica until I'd been taking lessons for 6 months.
    After years of regular attendance, I pretty much quit going for a while. Now, I find that less is more.
    And lessons?
    After 2 1/2 years I felt like I was a practice dummy for followers. But then, I think at that point I'd found my own tango.
    So, maybe not too unusual?

4. JTh

JTh Member

No..no milongas as yet..I want to get a bit better before hitting up milongas. Not far from it though, but want to ascend to that next level of competency before a milonga.and that's what is disappointing ; I'm almost there but just need some more inspiration and push to get there.

5. brunoalfirevic

brunoalfirevic New Member

For many people (me included) tango would indeed get stale quickly without the milongas. Although usually fun in their own right, classes and practicas are primarily there to help me prepare for milongas and make them more enjoyable.

So I would encourage you to attend a milonga. You don't have to dance if you're not feeling comfortable enough yet - it's perfectly fine to just go, observe, have a few drinks and chat with people. Good luck and let us know how it went! :)

JTh and Mladenac like this.
  6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Wonder why you started tango at all, JTH? You haven't yet encountered the real tango world. Tango is by far more than dancing. It´s a way of life, and the milonga is the weekly gathering.

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  7. JTh

JTh Member

I do like tango...if I didn't, I would have dropp d out by now...and have no plans to drop out.
    I'll be fine.. I might hit up a milonga with fellow dancers...

opendoor likes this.
  8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Good luck and keep your eyes open. I´ve done it back then the other way round, first dancing at milongas for a while, than took lessons. I always found my next technical step on the dance floor (or by watching YT vids) and then started working on that issue.

9. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

After nine months of (up to four parallel) regular classes I stopped it.
    Intended a pause of three months I didn't restart that kind of routine.
    I dance with pleasure at milongas and enjoy workshops from time to time...

10. c955

c955 New Member

Once you experience the deeply satisfying pleasure of a tanda with a partner whose embrace you adore and who creates a dance connection with you that is unforgettable, I doubt you'll ever question your motivation or inspiration to dance tango again...and just wait till you start travelling to other countries to dance!

tangomaniac likes this.
  11. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

It's normal. Tango love can come in waves and troughs. You might not be feeling it now, but it should come back.

12. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

let me agree with everybody else - the milonga is the core of tango, and i don't think the dance is sustainable without it. The heart of tango is that its a travelling dance, and for leaders is is as much a dance with the ronda, and with (and sometimes against ;) ) the other leaders. Anything besides other than the social dance is either practicing for the social dance, or demonstrating hypertrophic versions of ones skill at the social dance. And learning to enjoy the flow of the dancefloor, and developing the skills of dancing with everybody around you is something one can only do at the milonga.

And in some ways tango and practicing for tango are two different things, and while the overlap is quite large you will probably find that actually doing what you are practicing for is much more enjoyable.

sixela likes this.
  13. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Less trolling, more dancing. :dancingbanana: