Ballroom Dance > Patterns for Men's Ballroom Gear??

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by flexi, Jan 8, 2008.

1. flexi

flexi Member

I am looking for patterns for the following..

Wide Leg Pants,
    A lot of Standard Guys have wide leg pants with 1 or two pleats.. the legs of the pants are 10-12 diameter I think.. they look very comfortable, and when you sweat ALOT every day it would be nice to have the extra room.

Men's Vest
    Just a simpe vest.

Dress Shirt
    A dress shirt, but fitted in a way where you can raise your arms for dancing.
    Probably a modified latin shirt with a collar would work.

I highly doubt there's a nice MaCallas or Butterwick pattern featuring Geiampiero or Palo Bosco on the cover modeling for high style for housewifes to make their hubbies dance wear ( hey it might sell))..
    But if anyone has their hands on some OLD past their life dance wear.. maybe it could be carefully dissassembled and patterns could be made..
    And if I continue dreaming maybe we could all share.. or charge a nominal for the trouble fee..

Any ideas??

2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

If you want to make the shirt out of a stretch fabric, I'd just take ye old classic sleeved leotard pattern out of the ballgown pile, reduce that bugle in the top third of the front sideseams, and add a fair amount of ease to account for a different style of fit. The problem when doing this with a woven is that you won't be able to put your arms back down again(!). I tried and am back to buying shirts...

Vests are fairly easy to copy.

Pants... don't even want to go there, my living room is still dominated by a huge stack of draftings that didn't work. I think Larinda pointed out that the typical smooth pro's wide leg pants are/were from International Male (glitter optional).

3. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

I'm looking at their web page...please, exactly which of the International Male pants were those??

4. Chris Stratton

http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=19921 is a three page thread on the subject.

I believe it was the wide leg gabardine. I never ordered them, because for 32" they list 32" finished inseam as the only option, and that's probably too short for me with dance shoes, though it depends on the overall fit.

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What's wrong with OTR dress shirts? I've never really had an issue with them.

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

If it's a "fitted" shirt (or modern fit, tapered, slim fit, fitted, andd there's at least one other term one brand uses),not a problem at all. If it's not, and sometimes even with those, should have tailor make sure it's fitted a bit more than most OTR shirts, particularly in the sleeves and some darts in back to bring in waist (unless you're wearing vest over it, then boddy's' fitting matters less). Also will likely want some method of helping hold it down. But I won't go through all those options again, if you search in here, I started a thread once asking about smooth shirts in the past, and everyone gave lots of good suggestsions.

As to patterns, I know mom couldn't find any good patterns on latin shirts, so borrowed a couple from me (that I "borrowed" from roommate when he moved out and left them there) and just worked backwards from a finished shirt, as OP suggested.

7. Josh

Josh Active Member

In that thread she said "10 years ago" ... and they are $50. Sorry, but if they're $50, they will look like they cost $50. I'd love to get a great high quality pair of pants for competitive dancing for $50 but I know this type of material for that cost (polyester and rayon mind you), and you really do get what you pay for.

To the OP: if you really want something that fits, it WILL have to be tailored for the wearer, there's no way around it. Budget for it (expect at least $200 for dance pants, or $600 for a suit), save the money, and buy it when you have saved up enough, if cost is a big issue (I know it always is for me!). Then once you have it, there's your pattern! :)

8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

They were also for teaching... not competing.

9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Yeah, needs for teaching (or practicing) are definitely not necessarily going to be same as they are for competing.

10. Chris Stratton

I think the OP was looking for an alternative for daily wear less expensive than Taka, etc. And even below the demands of teaching there are things like late night rounds. For competition, standard dancers will be wearing the ones that match their tailsuit.

11. Josh

Josh Active Member

Oh ok.

12. flexi

flexi Member

Ok.. I ordered my "glitter pant's" from International male..
    Probably the material is very cheap and useless... but If the fit is somewhat OK, it should be pretty easy to copy at home..

I mean a copy I make won't be as nice as a Lenique $350 pair of pants... but I need some thing for daily use. And more than one set would be nice.

Now where's a decent vest..

I do have one kinda old about to be retired dress shirt that seems to have very good proportions for a dress shirt..
    Maybe I could use it as a mold to "retrofit" other shirts...

I gave up a long time ago going to structure, HM or whatever..
    I would prefer good tailoring... but come on guys.. lessons these days are 300$ for 45min!

I spend the money on tails and lessons.. but come on! I mean my poor practice shoes have been resoled twice already ( wore holes in them!)

13. Chris Stratton

I've never had the uppers outlast the soles.

I've pretty much given up on reshaping shirts, the issue being that once you shrink the torso the sleeves are now too short. My current shirt preference is van heusen fitted, preferably the hard to find stretch variety.

14. flexi

flexi Member

I thinking of trying with a few too large shirts...
    the hope is later, I could score a few nice CK BCBG TOO BIG SIZES and other name brands on SALE, Dice them up, and use them for nice shirts..
    might be a dream, but I'm sure there's a way..

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Poly and rayon should be cheaper than wool...

16. Josh

Josh Active Member

Yes...and?

17. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

For the budget conscious, try a local Hadassa Thrift Shop. You can often find an assortment of good quality mens' suits/pants and such there. When I started out dancing, I found a very nice pair of black wool slacks at the one in Brighton, MA.

18. Chris Stratton

That was my hope too, but then I looked at the pieces of fabric in big sizes vs. small. The problem is that sleeve length is measured from the center of the back, not from the shoulder. A big shirt with 34" sleeves actually has shorter sleeve pieces on it than a smaller shirt with 34" sleeves - shrink the body, and now the sleeves are too short. So this works only if you can find an oversize shirt with 36" or longer sleeves.

19. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I recently purchased a custom-made mesh Latin shirt because I had seen Maltowski, Max, Andrei, etc., wore see-through mesh shirt. This shirt fits me well, but my nipples can be seen through the fabric. I am wondering if it's OK for male dancers to show their nipples through the shirt fabric. If it isnot OK, what can I do to my shirt? At this time, I do not recall if I could see above pros' niples through their shirts.

20. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I am not sure, Joe. I paid a prime price for a pair of Latin Pants made by Taka Dance of Japan. I just took a look at it's label; it says 100% Polyester.